Wednesday, 27 June 2012

Embarrassing situation



I’ve thought long and hard about posting this lest I offend any of you. However … after a discussion with a friend … here goes:

I was putting my shopping in the back of the car in the supermarket car park when another car drew up and parked in the space but one from where I was parked.

Out stepped Lily; and she got her small dog held by a lead out of the car.

Lily is a vivacious bubbly late-twenties young lady friend of mine whom I hadn’t seen for about a year or so. She’s always smiling and laughing contagiously with an infectious joie-de-vivre which few people possess.

She recognised me and said “Hello” staying by her car so that her small dog, just as bubbly as her, would not jump at me.

We talked for a while facing each other next to our respective cars, reminiscing about old times and enquiring about the well-being of family and friends.

Suddenly a violent gust of wind lifted Lily’s flowing short skirt right up to her chest, revealing, for reasons best known to herself, that she was wearing no underwear.

Why do some women not wear any underwear?

I’m not asking this in a disapproving sort of way; I’m just asking for any reasons which may have escaped me. Perhaps someone would enlighten me. Is it very widespread a practice?

Anyway … up went her skirt and she half-heartedly and totally unsuccessfully tried to get it down with one hand whilst trying to control her dog, handbag and hat with the other. The dog became somewhat fractious in this Marilyn Monroe moment and made her attempts at a modicum of modesty entirely fruitless.

At one stage the dog ran round behind her causing her to pirouette 360 degrees like a dancing ballerina on a jewellery box with skirt still aloft.

I did not know what to do and stood there watching.

I could hardly approach her and try to control the skirt – totally inappropriate. I was too busy holding on to my cowboy hat with feather in case it flew off my head and into nearby bushes. The feather was quite ruffled, I tell you!

Eventually, the wind got tired of teasing her and blew away laughing quietly.

There was a moment or two of silence and then to my amazement and surprise she giggled and said, “I didn’t embarrass you? Did I?”

I didn’t know what to say. What is the etiquette of embarrassment in such situations?

“Ehmmm …” I mumbled, “I have a very bad memory!”

I really don’t know why I said such a stupid thing. Which was totally untrue since the image of that incident is still imprinted on my mind.

To keep the conversation flowing she continued, “Did you like my navel stud? It’s a real diamond!”

I nodded reassuringly and said nothing, even though at the time I was certainly not focussing on her navel.

She waved goodbye saying, “We should do this again some time!” presumably referring to having a friendly chat.

I’m still pondering whether to confess the situation to the priest or just tell him I lied about my bad memory.

20 comments:

  1. Sorry, Victor - no more teasing! I think you handled it like the true gentleman that you are:-) What else could you do?

    God bless, my friend:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ... that's one member of the jury on my side!

    Thanx Vicky.

    God bless you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A most awkward situation...don't think you'd have to confess it. You seem too shocked to have experience any other feelings. Don't know what I'd have done. Probably have ignored it as you did! What can you say? Drat!!! No words of wisdom here! Hoping the wind doesn't blow the next time you and your friend meet! Wishing you well! Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Cathy.

    One saving grace in all this. My cowboy hat did not blow off. I was holding on to it too tight.

    On reflection, when all this happened, her first instincts were to hold on to her hat rather than lower the skirt.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe....perhaps...you could have looked away/ closed your eyes.

    A not-too-subtle indication of...well...thinly veiled disg... embarrassment

    ReplyDelete
  6. For the record, I ALWAYS wear underwear. And most especially when I'm wearing a skirt! Whew! I think you only confess this if you had impure thoughts.

    Victor, please pray even more for me in the next two days. I'm headed to a ranch, to spend two days in a cabin with just me and God. I'm taking my Bible, my journal, worship music, and sticky notes to plaster the whole cabin with God's word. And a bathing suit so I can sit in the hot tub under the stars with Jesus.

    I am in desperate need of my savior. Thank you for your prayers and love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will continue to pray for you and your family Sarah.

    As I'm sure will all the readers of this post.

    May the Lord be always with you and that you especially feel His presence in the two-days retreat.

    God bless you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really felt your embarrassment but your response about having a short memory was superb! Why some women don't wear underwear is a mystery to me. It seems quite risky to go without as this incident shows. Why is it that you seem to have so many of these funny incidents happen? I would have tried to sink into the ground a few thousand feet and hope I never see her again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb,

      I know it's a risky thing to do; but I sometimes wonder if it is done deliberately and not as a fshion lifestyle.

      A TV presenter said recently on TV that he was interviewing a well known celebrity. He would not name her, obviously. They were sitting opposite each other on comfortable settees in a studio. He said it was very obvious that she was not wearing any underwear. No doubt it must have been difficult for him to carry on with the interview. I wonder whether she perhaps enjoyed his discomfort.

      Delete
  9. No offense taken here! You do seem to get into some of the most humorous predicaments, but we benefit through your excellent writing style. As to your question about no underwear...I have absolutely no idea. I would find that rather uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said above Monchesmom. It seems strange that some women don't wear underwear.

      Is it a new fashion? Is it deliberate?

      Surely they can't have as bad a memory as me and simply forget?

      I for instance would not dream to go out without my cowboy hat!

      Delete
  10. Hi Victor,
    I don't know how hard it would have been to look away/close your eyes - but I have had a similar(ish) experience. We were in a cave, near some beach, with nearly all the teens at camp. I didn't realise that most of the boys only had a towel around them. A huge wave came up and took two of the boys' towels from them and their unmentionables showed. Some of girls stared (me included) and someone squealed, and finally the boys got covered up. It was really embarrassing and we all agreed not to say anything to our parents!!!
    Perhaps you should post a photo about your cowboy hat! unless you have already!!!!!
    Lots of love,
    Sararose xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Saracose for sharing your story with us.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. All I can say is "wow" and I wonder if she started wearing panties or sewed weights into the hems of her dresses and skirts:)

      Delete
    2. That's a good point, Sheryl. I shall ask her next time I meet her. It would be a good conversation starter.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  13. hahahah.... such an entertaining story. I am glad i have never suffered such...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria for visiting my Blog. We hope you return soon.

      I am glad you enjoyed this story.

      God bless you.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...