Thursday 27 February 2014

No peace ...

Please allow me to quote from my book "Visions" where Jesus says: "This world cannot know peace until it learns to forgive. Forgiveness is the way to peace".

Regular readers of this Blog, (that's just you and me, the two of us), will know that I often post humourous articles and fun stories here.

I know from analysing the stats that these articles often attract new readers who came here by searching for "jokes", "fun" or other similar words and, having found me, hopefully spend some time looking at the other more serious Christian posts; and hopefully get to know Jesus through what I write.

As I look at life around me, in my locality or on a wider scale through the news media, I notice that as a human race we still have not learnt to forgive.

We may well have advanced in numerous fields such as science, technology, the arts and so on ... but we're still unable or unwilling to learn the very basics regarding mutual peaceful existance.

We've all been hurt in life at one time or other. Some more than others. The hurt runs deep and the wounds are still raw and painful. No one is immune to being hurt.

The trick is - what do we do next?

Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, if my brother keeps sinning against me, how many times do I have to forgive him? Seven times?” “No, not seven times,” answered Jesus, “but seventy times seven.” Matthew 18: 21-22

According to my calculator this adds up to 490 times. But I'm sure Jesus did not mean to limit us to that number.

How do we forgive?

True forgiveness means that we no longer hold something against the one who hurt us. No thoughts of revenge, retribution, punishment or anything like that. We just let what they have done pass away and we move on.


Someone asked me the other day – I have forgiven but cannot forget the pain and hurt caused to me. Does that mean I’ve not really forgiven?

The simple answer is:

If none of the feelings mentioned above are in our hearts – then we have truly forgiven.

Jesus asked us to forgive. Not to forget.

Of course we'll remember the hurt. The more the hurt the more we'll remember as every day something happens to remind us. This is natural.

The second trick is:

We use every remembrance of the hurt to forgive once again.

We also use every remembrance to pray for the one who hurt us. We hand that person over to God as well as the hurt itself.

You cannot possibly hate someone you are praying for.

When Jesus looks at the scars in His hands, feet and side He remembers; and forgives once again.

6 comments:

  1. Amen. I say it here and I say it again on my blog - this is what it is all about. Thank you, Victor. This post is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This post Mary was inspired by the article on your Blog. Also, I am re-reading "Visions" (why?) and the question of forgiveness is raised time and again.

      Thanx for your support, Mary.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  2. Oh dear...This post brings much to chew! Victor, the only thing I can say in my favour is that God isn't finish with me...I have much to learn, I know! Forgive but don't forget said Grand'Dad...An eye for an eye said Granny (on the maternal side this time)...I forgive by trying hard to forget (and distance helps!)...But I also have an excellent memory...
    Think there is any hope for me?
    Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Noelle. Yes.

      There is a lot of hope for you. You're doing well. We all try hard to forget; but the deeper the wound the more difficult (impossible) it is to forget.

      The trick is NOT to forget. But to remember. And use these painful memories as an opportunity to pray for those who hurt us. By doing so we are turning a bad situation into good. And it makes God smile too!

      God bless you always, and help your healing hurt.

      Delete
  3. Hi Victor! I really liked your suggestion to use the remembrance of hurt to forgive again. Wow. That is a great idea.

    Forgiving people who have done me wrong often takes time. I want to forgive, but my heart betrays me and I feel so sad and angry. Sometimes hearts heal at different rates, and sometimes its fast and sometimes its slow. I think Jesus would prefer instant forgiveness, as he offers to us.

    Being a 'person' is limiting. But it doesn't have to keep me steeped in anger and sadness. Forgiveness will actually heal all of that. So...the more I practice forgiveness, the faster I will be healed. That is great reason for hope.

    Very thoughtful and timely post for me, having just read your book.
    Have a great weekend my friend,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand excatly what you say Ceil. I often remember ... little things bring back memories of past hurts, and I too get sad at what happened and angry. My heart wants to forgive. My mind seems to fight against it. Prayers help.

      Re-reading my book has brought back memories and I thought I'd write this post.

      God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.