Monday, 10 March 2014

Would you Adam and Eve it?

The reading in church was about Adam and Eve and their first sin which, allegedly, started it all.

I noticed, not for the first time I might add, that they did not in fact eat from an apple tree. No where in the story does it say what tree it was. It could have been my favorite mango fruit, or pineapples perhaps, or a variety of other fruits. All it says is that it was a fruit tree.

Which led me to think: would they have been tempted if it was a broccoli tree?

Yes I know broccoli is not a tree. Don't side track me. I was only thinking and I don't claim to always think logically.

As I was saying before you interrupted me.

Adam and Eve ate from the forbidden tree and committed their first sin.

Now a lot of us consider this to be the sin of disobedience; which in fact it was. But this is not the most serious sin which they committed.

Their major sin was that they wanted to be like God. That's what the snake (devil) had fooled them into believing. They will be like God. They will know good from bad.

To some extent that's what happened. They got to know good from bad, right from wrong, and suffered the consequences.

I suspect that these days there are many who do not really know right from wrong; or choose not to care. But that's another story.

What is inportant about the Adam and Eve story is how it affects us in our lives.

How often do we also try to act like gods? And want things our way?

If only I could get that job, or that promotion at work, or get so and so to love me, or ...

Why can't other people see it my way? And do as I say? I know I'm right and people should obey me.

Dear God, Thy will be done as long as it is what I want. Please do this, or let me have that or ...

There are too many people wishing to serve God in an advisory capacity.

We say we believe in Him and yet we tell Him, often, what to do. Rather than trust Him to know better the difference between our wants and our needs.

This does not mean that we should not pray to God and ask Him for things. Christ encouraged us to do so in the Lord's Prayer. And as a loving Father, God likes to hear our prayers and respond, sometimes, to our requests.

But let our requests be for our needs, not wants. And let us have the humility to understand that sometimes He may say "No" or "Not now ... I have something better for you!"

Let God be God. And let us be His trusting children.

He did not ask us to understand Him. Only to love and trust Him.

16 comments:

  1. Hi Victor,
    I had a lot of responses go through my mind while reading this post. But you tied this up with what I was going to say when you wrote, "But let our requests be for our needs, not wants. And let us have the humility to understand that sometimes He may say "No" or "Not now ... I have something better for you!"

    Take care Victor! And thank you for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to see you visiting and Blogging again daily Grace. I hope you're keeping well.

      Thanx for visiting me and for your kind words.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  2. Mango is your favourite? Mine as well!
    But seriously, a very thought provoking post Victor. Like all kiddies, we don't always know what is good for us...
    Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right Noelle. We keep asking and asking for what we WANT, rather than for our needs.

      May God bless you and yours always.

      Delete
  3. I was taking notice during mass of that reading too Sunday. My take on the fruit is that it's not mentioned and it's not an earthly fruit. It's something particular to Eden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be right Manny. Where did the idea of eating the apple come from?

      God bless.

      Delete
    2. That's true Manny. Isaac Newton was the chap who shot an arrow whilst having an apple on his head. Was he banished from Paradise too?

      God bless.

      Delete
  4. Could the forbidden fruit have been a fig?
    They are wearing fig leaves...

    Very good and thoughtful post, Victor. 'Thy will be done...' I need to pray that part a little slower and with more thought, too. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point Hand-Maid. The Bible does mention "they sewed fig leaves together and covered themselves". Although, on a different point; I've often wondered how they sewed leaves together. Did they have a sewing machine? I tried "sewing" fig leaves together using string, (our fig tree does nothing else but leaves), but it didn't work. And the fig leaves did not cover much.

      God bless you Hand-Maid.

      Delete
  5. This made me think. Along the same lines I'd been "thinking" the last few days, only more deeply. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice to see you visiting and commenting here Nancy. Thank you. I really appreciate it.

      Looking forward to your early and frequent returns.

      God bless.

      Delete
  6. Lots of truth in this post, Victor. Most (all?) of us DO often act like little gods wanting things to run the way we would like them too. I loved your comment :
    "There are too many people wishing to serve God in an advisory capacity." That is so true, Victor! Thank you for this excellent post.

    You're right, the Bible never mentions apples. I guess we will never know the truth until we die. But we can rest assured that it wasn't a broccoli tree, cant we? (Funny!)

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you imagine ... if it was a broccoli tree there would have been no original sin ... and no hard work for all of us, like doing household chores !!!

      But you're right, we do often act like little gods, wanting our own way.

      God bless you and yours Mary. Thank you for your visit and for taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  7. This is certainly a post that I can't pass UP even though I'm not sure if my compute her, "I" mean my computer is ready to allow this come end, "I" mean comment so please don't interrupt "ME", "ME" "ME" "MYSELF" and "I" mean all of US (usual sinners) no, no, "I" mean us gods have something to say today.

    Listen Victor! "Forget Bout "IT" cause there's no truth to the apple as we gods know "IT". Long story short! The three, "I" mean the tree can be any "Fruit" that you can imagine.

    You've got part of "IT" "Right", "I" mean "Left", never mind and us gods would appreciate if YA would tell those sent parasite butt brain cells of Victor to let us finish our story in piece, "I" mean in peace NOW!?

    As "I" was about to say before YA interrupted us godly cells of this kingdom that this so called snake was not really the devil but the servant of Adam and Eve who "LIVED" backward if YA get our drift? Mind YA, he, she, and/or was "IT" just "IT" who thought "IT" was more than a lower case "G" because "I" was equal to the invisible angels at one time.

    Longer story short her, "I" mean shorter, "IT" fell in love with Eve and "IT" was just a manor, "I" mean matter of time before "IT" would have "IT" as "IT" wanted because "IT" was much more older and "IT" was a "LOT" smarter. Your readers can imagine the rest and why "Jesus" The new Adam of over two thousand years ago sent by "GOD" Good Old Dad" said in so many words that if YA even look at any wo man with lust, you've been add, "I" mean, "You've sinned". That's why Catholic "Priest" and "Nuns" are not allowed to get married and..........................

    END YA SAY sinner vic? DON'T BE LIKE THAT! BE NICE NOW!

    Go Figure folks? :)

    God Bless and please keep praying for sinner vic. (LOL!?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always praying for you and yours as requested.

      God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...