Tuesday, 24 November 2015

God's Waiting Room

I'm sure it's happened to you, as indeed it happens to me every six months or so. I have to visit the doctor's for a check up with the nurse.

I wait in the waiting room with other people, most of whom look so miserable I'm sure they wouldn't bring a smile between them at a funeral; and I wait for my name to be called on the big TV monitor on the wall.

I fumble through the magazines most of which are so old they might as well be written in Latin, covering such exciting subjects like Equestrian Monthly, Yachting World, and Mountaineering. Why do doctors and dentists have these types of magazines in their waiting rooms? Looking around me, I doubt any of these people could take part in any of these sports anyway. I on the other hand ...

Anyway, I pick up a magazine, more to pass the time rather than interest, and learn to my chagrin that a ship called The Titanic sank after hitting an iceberg. Surely the doctor or his admin team can find more up-to-date reading matter.

I look up at the TV monitor every now and then to see if they are showing my name as next to go in. Every so often the screen shows adverts for vaccinations and immunisations, medical check-ups for all sorts of illnesses, health insurance, and even old peoples' homes and funeral directors. You can't get more cheerful than that, can you?

I sit there and worry; for no apparent reason other than worry is the thing to do when you're called in at the doctors. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with me. It is a routine half-yearly check-up and as in past check-ups they always confirm that I'm still alive. So all should be well. After all, I'm sure they would have told me if I were dead.

My turn comes and I go in to see the pretty young nurse. She smiles and asks me to sit down next to her and then reads off the computer monitor in front of her the results she has received from the hospital. She points at the screen and explains all the figures there.

Cholesterol levels, sugar levels, and this and that and this other thing too. Then she compares these figures to the last time I visited her to see if they are better or worse. Then she takes my blood pressure ... Is it any wonder it is sky high?

One improvement the medical profession can make is not to have pretty young nurses take your blood pressure. A dragon with flaming nostrils on the other hand would frighten one so much that blood temperature would probably freeze to below zero and register no pressure at all.

Anyway, she says my blood pressure is a little high and it is no doubt because I am here for a check-up. Yea right! Great diagnosis Miss.

But what has all this to do with the title to this article, and the photo of that nurse? I hear you say.

Well, whilst waiting in that Doctor's Waiting Room I often wonder what it's like waiting in God's Waiting Room. Fumbling through whatever magazines they have there. I bet you they're all in Latin or some language I don't know. Why can't the magazines be in English? I always thought God is English. After all, all the Bibles I've read are in English, so He must be English.

Anyway, I'd be sitting there in God's Waiting Room fretting and worrying about what He will say to me. Mentioning all the things I have done or omitted to do in my life on earth. All the things I've said or not said. Hurting other people. I wonder what results will show up on God's computer monitor and whether the results will be pleasing all round or not. What if His computer is wrong? But then, God is never wrong is He?

Too late to worry now. What's been done has been done and now is the time for the final reckoning. Now is the time to find out whether I am really "dead" for eternity or whether I'd be welcomed into His loving arms.

But then ... the moral of this story surely is ... just as we have plenty of opportunities now to keep our health in check and to monitor it when it is not as well as it should be. Surely now is also the time to monitor the state of our soul's health so that when we are in that Heavenly Waiting Room we'd have no reason to worry at all.

12 comments:

  1. Good One-Victor! Although the nurse wouldn't do much for my blood pressure! My answer is to not go to the doctor! I do have Dr. SIL--who is more than willing to pull the plug--as he keeps reminding me! But yes--I posted today about this very subject!
    Great Minds!
    Blessings, Friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Lulu. I'm sure it is being next to that nurse which makes my blood pressure go up - especially when she leans forwards !!!

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. Going to the doctor is enough to make anyone's blood pressure shoot sky high. Every time they add another drug to my list of "you gotta have this to live ..." makes my dreams of living on a deserted island go up in smoke. So, I just go live on a dessert-ed island instead ... *lol* (Good 'ol English, so confusing.)
    Seriously, though, it is good to review our current life status before we are forever with the LORD.
    Wonderful lesson with a sprinkling of knee slapping humor. Good for what ails ya.
    Hope your day is blessed. ~:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Sparky. I think sometimes doctors are like car mechanics. They check the car and always find something wrong with it. I dread the day he tells me my big end is gone!

      Last time I went to the doctor, as I got in his room, he asked me to lie on the couch. I asked him why? He said: Because I want to vacuum clean where you are standing!

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. I tried very hard not to make the patients I would bring back for their check-up nervous. It's not always possible. That being said I think the reflection on the "final waiting room" is very good. And then as you said, it does no good to worry about it. I'll try to remember to smile in the waiting room the next time I visit! Wishing you well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cathy. I suppose the reason I get nervous is because it's like visiting the Head Teacher at school. I wait to be told how I've scored on cholesterol, blood pressure and the like.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  4. Since it will be Thanksgiving over here soon, I wanted to share that I am very thankful for your blog! And why you ask? Well it's partly due to the wonderful sentences you come up with like that last one...beautiful! Thanks Victor.
    Blessings,
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words Aimee. I really appreciate and am thankful for your support and encouragement.

      Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

      God bless.

      Delete
  5. Now that's a great concept: God's waiting room. Hopefully they have better magazines.

    Your doctors' offices over there have monitors that call your name? Strange. Sounds like a Motor Vehicles Department.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Manny. Some doctor's waiting rooms have a large monitor on the wall with adverts and every so often it shows your name and which room to go to. Our medical practice has about nine doctors and half-a-dozen nurses. So depending on your ailment/condition you'd be seen by a doctor or nurse. Some practices have a speaker on the wall which calls your name and room number, and then plays soft music the rest of the time.

      When you get in the building, there's a touch screen at the door. You enter your initials by touching the screen and your date of birth. The computer then tells you which waiting room to go to and advises the doctr/nurse that you are here for your appointment. Obviously, in an emergency without appointment the doctor/nurse sees you right away. In some cases the doctor/nurse will visit you at home at all hours of night and day if it is a serious emergency or you are unable to go to the practice because of age or type of illness.

      And it's all FREE. Including medications for some kinds of conditions or depending on age or if you're pregnant. Mind you, if you're pregnant Manny you'd also be on the evening news.

      God bless.

      Delete
    2. Yes, if I were pregnant I would be on more than the evening news...LOL. Thank you. Interesting. It does seem like it has the efficiency of a factory. But if it's free...well, nothing is free. You're paying for that in some way.

      Delete
    3. Everyone has to pay the Government National Insurance which is taken automatically from your salary, as well as taxes. National Insurance also gives you a pension from the Government when you reach pension age - currently about £119 per week.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...