Tuesday, 15 December 2015

Mean Old Trout

I don't know if it is the same where you live, but here in the UK, when a couple are getting married they prepare a Wedding Gift List. This is a list of all the items they need to set up home together. Guests pick an item they'd like to purchase, tell the couple, and it is crossed off the list. So be quick to choose the cheap items like "a bottle opener" otherwise other people will choose the cheap item and you'll have to buy an expensive one.

In this electronic day and age, a number of shops have prepared wedding lists on their websites. The couple to be married tell their guests where to access the list of their chosen shop. Guests go on the internet, choose a gift and pay for it, and the shop delivers it on the wedding day. I don't like this idea because it ties you down to the shop the couple have chosen, and some greedy couples will choose the most expensive shop, whereas I could buy them the same item from a garage sale at a cheaper price. Admittedly it will need cleaning a bit; but who cares. When you get married happiness is above all else; not gifts!

When I got married I did not want to prepare a list; but tradition is tradition after all.

The list proved useless. Not one guest bought us anything from our list. I had asked for a new house, a car, a luxury holiday, jewelleries, and similar small trinkets. But instead we got toasters, ironing boards, kettles, tea pots and similar small items. Let's face it, the price of a toaster is much much less than the guests would have consumed in food and drinks at our wedding. So I was out of pocket from the start. I remember it cost us a fortune getting my favourite hamburger bar to prepare all those meals with French fries and milk shakes.

Now many years later, I have grown older and wiser. I tell friends and family not to give us Christmas presents; but if anyone breaks the agreement and gives us something anyway, I wait until after Christmas and buy them something in the winter sales. Either that, or recycle some present that someone else has given us.

It's surprising how many good things you can buy in the sales. The other day I bought a shirt from the shop. The sign said "20% OFF" so it was a bargain. When I got home I found out they had cut the sleeves off.

What is the most useless present you have received?

7 comments:

  1. A crocheted cover for the toilet paper---TOP THAT!

    It's called a wedding registry, Victor. I can tell who does all the shopping at your house!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you mean a doll with a knitted dress and you put the doll in the toilet roll and stretch the dress to cover the toilet paper? They used to be all the rage in the UK years gone by. People used to have them to keep spare rolls of paper in the bathroom.

      I didn't know it's called a wedding registry. I know it's a long list of expensive gifts people want. We men are more practical - if it is not edible it is not worth having.

      God bless.

      Delete
    2. Here's what I had in mind:
      https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=crochet+doll+toilet+paper+holder&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjq8rqikt_JAhUHvhQKHayGCxgQ7AkINA&biw=1024&bih=619

      Delete
  2. Great post. You made me laugh. I was in a small group at church and we exchanged gifts. I got a pair of white classy expensive leather gloves. I never wear them.. they're white. What if I get them dirty and then what? How would I clean them?

    Merry Christmas, Victor. Thank you for visiting me!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mary,

      How nice of you to visit me. Thank you. We hope you return here soon.

      Yes, I agree. It's difficult to have a lovely gift which you do not want to spoil.

      I'm glad you enjoyed my humour. More humourous stories on the tab at the top entitled Giggles and Fun.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  3. LOL, that was funny. Yes we have those lists too.

    Separate subject: I see you have the song Mary Did You Know on the music player. There was a big discussion at Mark Shea's blog on why that song is not very Catholic. You might find it interesting. Here:
    http://www.patheos.com/blogs/markshea/2015/12/mary-did-you-know-faq.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Manny. I'll check that blog now.

      God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...