Monday, 25 July 2016

Loneliness



I was listening to a Talk Show on the radio the other day. An old lady phoned in and confessed that she was lonely. She lived alone and did not see anyone from one day to the next. Sometimes she went out of the house, took the bus, (because it is free for senior citizens in the UK), and sat there all the way into town and back. The round trip lasted about an hour. She did it just to meet people on the bus. She didn't speak to them, but she said that sometimes this was the only contact she had with other human beings. She did not speak to the neighbours and no one visited her.

Sadly, she is not the only person in that situation. There are many lonely people these days. And they are not all old either. Some are quite young and even though they are at work they are still lonely. They do their jobs as best they can but when they get home they have no one.

I guess there must be lonely people in your own church. People who turn up week in week out, but no one really speaks to them.

It's ironic that in our age of mass communication with 24/7 radio, TV, Internet, cell phones and all the other communications gadgets that exist, we still have people who are lonely and uncared for.

A few days later I was listening to another radio programme.  This time a man was describing how in his youth, when you went out in the streets and you met other people as you were walking, it was customary to say "Good morning" or "Good evening" to complete strangers. He said sometimes you greeted other people three or four times before you reached your destination.

Now no one talks to each other. You can have a crowded train carriage with everyone reading a book or newspaper, or playing with their smart phones, and no one talking.

Both these radio incidents made me feel sad about modern life. They reminded me of Christ's words when He invited all who were tired to go to Him and He will give them rest. (Matthew 11: 28). I suppose He also meant the lonely when He said those words.

11 comments:

  1. Well said
    Loneliness is a scourge of our times...

    gramswisewords.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said
    Loneliness is a scourge of our times...

    gramswisewords.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to see you visiting me, Marian. Thank you.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  3. You are SO right, Victor. I feel so sad about these things, too. So much so-called "progress", and it is distancing us farther and farther from one another. My dear Mom was SO lonely in the years before she died. We were with her most of the time, but when we would leave her at night, she would be SO sad. How many others are just like this? It makes me feel a desire to try to search for someone lonely and try to help fill some of their empty time with them. Thank you for this post. It was very inspiring to me. God bless you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Cheryl, for your kind words. Yes, people, especially the elderly, can be so lonely these days.

      God bless you and your family.

      Delete
  4. Your observations are filled with wisdom, Victor. Loneliness is something most of us have struggled with at some point, sometimes through no fault of our own.

    I'm amazed at the power of a smile, a hug, a brief conversation that can turn someone's day around. These little graces we can offer.

    Thanks, friend. This has been quite thought-provoking ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kindness Linda. I've known many old people who are lonely. Some in hospital with no one to visit them.

      God bless.

      Delete
  5. Well Said, My Friend. I could write a book! I have found--if they will make eye contact and you will speak--they will respond. And given the opportunity--so many are more than willing to give you their entire life's story. Loneliness has become the plague of modern time!
    Blessings, My Friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lulu,

      It's great to see you here again. Missed you.

      You're right. At the drop of my cowboy hat people would sit next to me on the bus, train, or in the park and tell me their life stories. Have you read my experience on the bus, posted a few days ago?

      God bless you.

      Delete
  6. I liked this a lot Victor. My mother is 83 and for most of the year lives alone. I try to stop by every day. She talks my ear off, but I guess when she hasn't seen anyone all day long you do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand, Manny. Some old people I know keep that TV or radio on all day just to hear someone's voice in their homes. They also answer back at the TV just to hear themselves talk. One said to me, when I phoned her, "Sorry my voice is hoarse. When I don't speak all day my throat gets very dry!"

      Life can be so sad.

      God bless you and yours, Manny.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...