Tuesday, 24 January 2017

The Belief in Disbelief


This discussion is likely to become somewhat tortuous. But please hang in there. Try to follow my argument and, if you disagree, please write in and put me right.

We are at this point in time Christians. By whatever means or way we came to this point, be it cradle Christians, born and raised this way, or by conversion to Christianity, or whatever other route we took in life to get to where we are now; we are essentially Christians.

By this we mean basically that we believe in God. We believe that Jesus is His only Son, born of a virgin as a human here on earth, albeit He is/was God, He died for us, raised from the dead and went up to Heaven. And when there He sent us His Holy Spirit. These are the very basics of our beliefs.

Now some of us take these beliefs, put them at the back of our mind, and get on with our busy lives. Getting to work, raising a family, looking after our financial affairs, making sure we have enough savings for when we're ill or for old age, taking the trash out every day ... that sort of thing. Life takes over and, although we believe, we still have to be realistic and get on with life.

Some of us, however, take our beliefs even more to heart. They are central to our lives, central to everything we do, they form and guide our every actions in life, to the point of our very existence; breathing even. Our beliefs are ourselves. We are our beliefs. We do not spend time fretting and worrying about the minutiae of life. God exists, He will take care of us, and of our needs.

Such a path of total unwavering beliefs, admirable and laudable though it is, is full of dangers and pitfalls in itself. Our total 100% reliance on our beliefs can in itself, at some point, lead one at times to question those very beliefs which have for so long shaped and formed our lives, our very existence, what we are now and what we have become.

We ask ourselves, is this all real? What led me to the point that I believe what I believe? What evidence is there for it? What proof? I believe through blind Faith; but what if it's all a fallacy, a myth, a man-made story and set of rules just to keep society in check. Our basic beliefs, the existence of an almighty god, having a son of virgin birth, his death, resurrection and the sending of his spirit are in themselves unbelievable.

That point of questioning to the point of doubts of our very beliefs, unbelievable as it seems, does occur to many of those who have followed a hitherto path of unwavering belief.

How is this so?

The devil, who does exist, make no mistake about that, takes our very unwavering belief as an opportunity to cast doubt and confusion in our mind. For he it is who, unaware by us, sheds the odd flash of questioning and uncertainty in our minds. It is he who aims to lead us astray from our beliefs and faith. After all, what is the point of him tempting those who don't believe? They are already in his camp. It's the others, those who believe, that he wants to recruit.

Usually, those who do not believe in God don't have any doubts about their beliefs. Have you noticed how un-believers are always certain of their position? They believe they know for sure that God does not exist and are eager to prove it to you.

I often wonder about all the Saints we are told and have read about. Were they all 100% totally dedicated to their beliefs and faith and were they all totally unwavering throughout their lives?

The answer is no. Most of them, if not all, had their moments of doubts, their moments of confusion and temptations. But they kept trying, through prayers, dedication, and perhaps outright stubbornness, they kept going on in their beliefs despite all the difficulties these gave rise too. No doubt, they were sinners too. Like you and me. But they kept on trying.

Despite their failings, their short-comings, and their weaknesses - Saints are sinners who kept on trying.

Hopefully ... like you and me.

10 comments:

  1. Well-said.

    One of my favorite examples of complex belief (or is it layers of belief?) is from Mark: "Then the boy's father cried out, 'I do believe, help my unbelief!'" (Mark 9:24 http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/_PWB.HTM#GOSP.MAR.9.24 )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian, Like the good old days, I think that our Heavenly Father should send us(usual sinners) Angels and Saints disguised as Highway Patrol. LOL

      WHO'S LAUGHING?

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_wLVCLPx0M

      GOD BLESS PEACE

      Delete
    2. Thank you Brian for your visit here and your comment. I agree with you whole heartedly. Belief becomes complicated, for some, as the closer we get to know God the harder the devil tries to lead us astray. The Mark 9:24 quote is one of my favourite prayers.

      God bless you, Brian.

      Delete
    3. Victor,

      I guess He does send us Angels and Saints. But many do not even want to believe.

      God bless you.

      Delete
    4. Well all "I" can say about angels and saints is that they better soon learn to follow the High Way or hell, "I" mean Oh well what else can we Christians do but live and let live? LOL!

      Victor #1 Keep UP the good words and works.

      God Bless you and yours always.

      Delete
  2. Hi Victor! Oh, I absolutely agree with you here. I can't tell you how many times I have thought 'is what I believe real?' I thought it was a natural questioning, I never thought of it as evil. But it could be. I thought it was a way for me to reexamine and deepen my commitment.

    I think anyone who has faith questions. Faith is what we have in the unseen. As humans, that's hard work. May God continue to bless us with his power in grace to remain in his presence and love.
    Blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Ceil, it is natural to question, it is not evil. By questioning we learn more about God, and this is good. What is bad is that the devil takes advantage of our questionings and injects doubts and tries to weaken our faith. That is his trick. He turns our questionings into evil and often succeeds in leading people astray. You're right, everyone who has faith does question. Nothing wrong with that, unless the devil takes advantage of us.

      God bless you, and thank you for your contribution to this discussion.

      Delete
  3. I know exactly what you mean, Victor. Every, single thing about our "belief" system is based solely and entirely upon faith. Nothing is based on what we can see or touch or even prove, for that matter. I think every one of us have questioned things at least at some point in our lives. I find myself questioning many things right now at a point that it is so hard to understand certain adversities and delays in answers to prayer. I must cry out with the father of the boy in Mark, "Lord, I believe. Help mine unbelief." God bless you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Cheryl. We've all questioned at some point; and that's natural. But the closer we come to God the devil works harder to make us question and doubt more. When you find yourself questioning more and more, especially in adversities and unanswered prayers; repeat over and again "Lord I believe; help my unbelief". Through gritted teeth even; repeat this prayer. God will appreciate and reward this honesty.

      Praying for you and yours.

      God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...