Wednesday, 22 February 2017

I am superior to you.

It's amazing how many Christians I know who look down on you, (me), with an air of superiority and go through life as if they have a permanent bad smell under their nose. Perhaps they should eat less beans!

Here's what happened many years ago. The priest encouraged and pestered me to join the Church Parish Council. Eventually, I agreed and attended my first meeting one evening.

There were about sixty people sitting in cinema style and at the top table sat the priest and four other people.

After half-an-hour, as one of the ladies at the top table was standing and speaking, I remembered that I had to pick up someone at the railway station. I slid out of my seat silently and made my way towards the exit. Whereupon, the lady at the top table said loudly: "I see that Mr Moubarak is leaving in a huff. Perhaps he does not agree with what we propose!"

Everyone turned round and looked at me. I wanted to stop and explain; but my appointment at the railway station was more important. So I got out without saying a word.

About an hour later I returned to the church. The meeting was over and they were all mingling with teas, coffees and biscuits.

I saw the woman in question with a group of people. I had seen her in church many times but did not know who she was. I approached her. She saw me and left the group and came towards me.

"You have me at a disadvantage," I said, "you know who I am. Would you do me the courtesy of letting me know who you are?"

"Don't you know who I am?" she replied, looking down at me, "I am the Chair Person of the Parish Council Social Committee!"

"I see," I mumbled, "I did not know that the Parish Council had a Social Committee. And I still don't know who you are!"

She sighed in exasperation and hissed, "I am Miss Stephany Hormsley!"

At that point the devil got the better of me and I said something which I deeply regretted. I replied, "Is this by choice, or have you frightened all potential husbands away?"

She did not reply. I saw her lower lip quiver once or twice.

To retrieve the situation I said, making matters worse, "I'm sorry Miss Hormsley. The name means nothing to me and I still don't know who you are!"

She said nothing again, and turned round and left me.

Later I checked with some people and it turned out that she was the Head Teacher at one of our schools as well as being on several Church and Educational Committees.

I suppose that gave her the right to look down on me and embarrass me when I left the meeting as inconspicuously as possible.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Victor! It's so sad that 'church people' are often the ones who don't act like they are a part of the body of Christ. We are supposed to serve each other in humility, not get all upset when we aren't recognized.
    I know you have already forgiven this person for her rudeness. It would be very good for her to recognize that the world doens't revolve around her and become more charitable. But, we can only do what we can to make ourselves better. Who knows? Maybe she was having a very bad day, and took it out on you.
    I wonder if you joined the Council?
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Ceil. It's sad that some church members put on airs and graces and believe they are very important. I stayed on the Council for about a year or so; then volunteered for other church work.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. Oh, my, Victor! I know exactly and precisely how this feels. I am SO sorry you were so maligned, and in such a public, embarrassing manner. People like her remind me of the holier-than-thou Pharisees who gave our dear Lord so much trouble during His earthly ministry. God bless you, my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there are many Pharisees in our churches today, Cheryl.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  3. THUS the reason, I NO LONGER serve on those types of committees and I have done them all!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see what you mean, Lulu. Committees seem to be an avenue for some people to gain power.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  4. These examples remind me of the Pharisees and Sadducees during Jesus' time - who used religious positions for their own power trip. I suppose it is a reminder that we are all human, even when we try to do something good. I pray for all of them.

    God Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too true, Michael. Plenty of Pharisees and Sadducees in my church.

      God bless you too.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...