Wednesday, 30 August 2017

You can count on me

(Sesame Street)

My favourite character from Sesame Street when I was a young man was The Count. I just loved the way he taught how to count and how his various sketches were so memorable.

One day I had a meeting at work with the accountant from the firm auditing our books for the Annual Reports and Accounts. Contrary to popular belief, he was not a dull man with no sense of humour whatsoever. Quite the contrary. This accountant was a pretty young lady starting her career with the organisation were she worked. After a long and gruelling meeting I decided to take her to lunch at a local restaurant and I took my assistant with me. He, being one with a warped sense of humour, and an eye for a challenge, bet me secretly £50 (which was a lot of money at the time) to my favourite charity if I were to impersonate my favourite Sesame Street character.

As the three of us sat down at our table, and the waiter approached to take our order I said, in a pronounced Count accent, "Ah ... my good man. Can we start with ONE bottle of wine ... ha ha ha ha ... ONE bottle of wine and we will also have TWO candles lit on the table please ... That is TWO candles ha ha ha ha ..."

Both the waiter and the lady accountant were surprised at this sudden transformation, but said nothing.

I continued, "We will need also THREE glasses ... ha ha ha ha ... THREE glasses for us THREE to drink the wine ... ha ha ha ha ...

"We will also have FOUR plates of antipasti to start with. That is FOUR plates ... ONE for the lady, ONE for my friend here, ONE for me ... and ONE for you if you wish to join us ... ha ha ha ha ...

"Then we will have spaghetti with meat balls. FIVE meat balls on each plates. FIVE for the lady, FIVE for my friend, FIVE for me and nothing for you ... because you will go away after your antipasti ... ha ha ha ha ...

"That is ONE bottle of wine ... TWO candles ... THREE glasses ... FOUR antipasti and FIVE meatballs with the spaghetti ... ha ha ha ha ... I am the Count and I can count up to FIVE."

At this point the lady accountant asked me if I was all right? I explained what had transpired with my assistant and I won £50 for my favourite charity ... ha ha ha ha ...
  

6 comments:

  1. Hey Victor ~ The Count has long been my favorite Sesame Street character. Easily. I love his laugh, his lingo, that purple face ...

    I could do without the fangs though.

    ;-}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Linda,

    He had TWO fangs ... that's TWO fangs ha ha ha ha and ONE purple face. That's TWO fangs ... and ONE purple face ... ha ha ha ha

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am laughing, Victor. MY you are young! Sesame street appeared in the early years of my children! The Count was fabulous!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had Sesame Street in the UK in the late 80s I believe. That's how I learnt to count. My job was counting the number of paper clips and rubber bands we used at work. I issued people with new paper clips when they returned the old ones. Ha ha ha ha ....

      God bless.

      Delete
  4. Haha, wish I could have been in the restaurant to see this! :) Sesame Street was a favorite of all my school friends too. It wasn't just preschoolers who watched the original shows, we were 10 and 11 year olds laughing over Bert & Ernie. Quite a change from kids nowadays! Great memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bettie,

      Sesame Street was a well made brilliant programme. The repetitive nature of the script, like the Count and Big Bird, helped in learning to read and count.

      God bless you.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...