Monday 26 February 2018

Aliens from outer space

For many years now scientists have been searching for intelligent life out there, in outer space, in the universe somewhere, perhaps within our solar system, or perhaps somewhere else in another solar system - you know ... turn left, go straight for a few million miles, (or light years - are there heavy years?), then take the third turning to the right!

The thing is, I have never understood what kind of alien life they are hoping to discover. Do they think there are creatures out there that resemble us in some form or other; like the ones you see on Star Trek and other such films?

Or is this life they are searching for somewhat different in shape, size and form than us, and does not require the same essentials like us in order to survive; like oxygen, water, food, mediums of temperature and humidity and so on.

For example, is a virus a living being or not? How about a bacteria? Or the many microbes and tiny organisms that we may, or may not, know about? Could it be that there are such types of life out there that do not require the same basics like us to sustain them?

The Oxford Dictionary defines life as: The condition that distinguishes animals and plants from inorganic matter, including the capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity, and continual change preceding death.

From that I understand - growth, reproduction, functional activity (presumably this means watching TV), and change. So basically, that is life, according to the dictionary and presumably according to what most of us understand life to be.

But then the scientists are searching for something more - intelligent life, isn't that so?

So I ask myself - what is intelligent life? I have known many people in the past with less intelligence than my cat. Are they intelligent life?

Is a seeing-eye dog for the blind intelligent? Are animals trained by humans to do certain tasks intelligent? What is intelligence?

Once again, are we not measuring intelligence according to our human yardsticks? Just the same way as we are defining life using our own human yardstick? If it does this, it is alive. If it does that, it is intelligent.

What if there is life, very intelligent at that, that has been there all along and yet we have failed to recognise it. Or have even refused to accept it because of our own arrogant attitude of self-importance. Because we only want to accept things in our own terms and not as they truly are.

Is God not life?

He may not meet the criteria we have set for there to be defined as life; but is He not life? Indeed the very Creator of life?

Are Christ and the Holy Spirit not life?

As well as the Angels and indeed Satan?

Or do we dismiss them because they do not fit our understanding of life. Because they are spiritual and do not have a body like ours which meets the Oxford Dictionary criteria.

Was it not C S Lewis who is attributed as saying, “You do not have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.” 

So, perhaps we too are spiritual beings, inhabiting a body temporarily; just like a butterfly before it leaves the cocoon for a new life.

Now there's a thought to keep you up at night. What do you think?

23 comments:

  1. I think - that I'll be talking about this. In a few weeks, probably. Again. Thanks for a good look at the topic(s).

    About the "you are" quote. It's been attributed to Lewis quite a bit lately. I think it's something Lewis might have written, but didn't.

    Someone traced it back to a science fiction writer who wasn't Lewis. The best/most thorough look at the quote I've seen traced it back to a 1901 YMCA training manual: https://mereorthodoxy.com/you-dont-have-a-soul-cs-lewis-never-said-it/

    One more thing, about God and life.

    I think I'd say that God as a whole is "life," and isn't. Here's where it gets interesting.

    God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit make life - along with the source code for everything we can observe, or will be able to observe.

    God the Father and Holy Spirit are rational, self-aware persons who don't have physical form or any sort. That portion of the Trinity are entirely spirit.

    God the Son is/was/will be/has been around when this universe was started. And became one of us about two millennia back. No, I don't understand how that works. I can't make a new universe, either. And that's another topic.

    God the Son was "life" in the sense of being a rational person, able to make decisions, and having a physical body. Jesus is God *and* human. That's been a puzzle, and most likely will continue to be.

    Jesus will be "life" again, I'm sure: since our Lord said he'd be back. Under the circumstances, I'm inclined to believe him.

    What our Lord's current status is - is a good question. And unanswerable, I think: at least from a science/natural philosophy viewpoint.

    I believe that when our Lord left to do whatever's mentioned in John 14:2-3, he 'took his body with him.' It took two angels to get the Apostles on-task after that. (Acts 1:9:11)

    Our Lord's current location and status - is something I very strongly suspect is not a place and condition that's available for observation from where we are at the moment. Or will be.

    Like Hamlet said, "there are more things...."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brian,

      We seem to agree. I was not sure about the C S Lewis quote; that's why I said attributed as saying. What you say about the Holy Trinity is also correct. All three persons are in themselves life - but not as we know it or define it or measure it.

      Thank you for a full answer to the points I made. And thank you for your support of my writings.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. Ah ... life here on earth is complex enough without my even considering alien life somewhere afar off.

    Come to think of it, I've encountered a number of humans that I think are out of this world ... in more ways than one.

    ;-}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda I agree .rofl.. I to..

      Delete
    2. I have met aliens from outer space, Linda. But unlike on Star Trek, they did not speak English. I did not understand what they were saying but I guess they were asking for the nearest hamburger fast-food restaurant.

      God bless.

      Delete
    3. It's good to laugh, Renee.

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. Just love your discourse here, Victor. All our definitions of life and intelligence cannot even scratch the surface of the life and wisdom in Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. In Him, we move and breathe and have our being.
    Blessings, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the point I was trying to make, Martha. We are looking for life "out there"; when it has been around us, and has created us, all along.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  4. I've always though we are souls with bodies, and not bodies with souls because someday we will have new perfect bodies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life is complex enough for me too. These are thoughts I have had for years, there are no right or wrong answers so that makes it even more challenging. I like the thought that we could be like a butterfly inhabiting a body temporarily until the time comes when we leave it behind.
    More things to think about on my walks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bill. Life is getting more complicated by the day; and scientists and the like don't make it any easier for us. I find it difficult deciding whether to have tomato ketchup or brown sauce on my potato chips.

      God bless you, Bill.

      Delete
  6. A subject near and dear to my heart-- huge Trekkie and I love Jesus.

    "You do not have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.”

    I love this!!

    "So, perhaps we too are spiritual beings, inhabiting a body temporarily; just like a butterfly before it leaves the cocoon for a new life."

    Yeah...I think so. We are eternal beings. We live forever, just not here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, Sandi. We are eternal beings.

      God bless you.

      Delete
    2. Victor, you inspired me. Totally using that CS Lewis quote on my blog today! :)

      Delete
  7. “You do not have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.”

    I love that quote! This won't keep me awake. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terri for your encouragement.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  8. I love the way you moved from discourse on alien life "out there" to the greatest life of all! I am looking forward to all of the surprises that Heaven has in store for us! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to see you visiting again Bettie. Thank you for your support and encouragement.

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  9. "So, perhaps we too are spiritual beings, inhabiting a body temporarily; just like a butterfly before it leaves the cocoon for a new life."

    These words, after reading you post, just took my breath away. I'm a butterfly in progress!! Thank you for brightening my day, again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always nice to see you smiling, Cathy. Please pray for us.

      God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.