Saturday 3 September 2016

Pain

 
It’s funny how your mind wanders when you’re sitting in a doctor’s waiting-room. I thought:

Jesus died at the age of thirty-three.

He never lived to a ripe old age and, as a human, whom He was, as well as being God, He never got to experience what we humans experience as we grow old.

The pains of rheumatism and arthritis. The slowing down of our body and the inability to run or walk as fast as we used to. The odd lapse of memory. Difficulty with hearing or with seeing properly; and the many other ailments which beset us as we grow old.

Had He grown old like some of us do; would He have used His powers to heal Himself and take away the pain?

Of course, all this is pure speculation. The reality is that He died a most horrible and painful death on the Cross, which far far outweighs whatever ailments we suffer from as we grow old.

The fact that He has not experienced our old age, or any other experiences we go through in this world, does not mean that He doesn’t understand them and that He does not hurt when we hurt.

He feels our pain because He loves us. He accepted the torture of His death because He loves us.

Perhaps we too should try, as best we can, to understand and accept our age related pains with dignity. For His sake.

I know an elderly man who has had many illnesses and operations – he is in constant pain. Whenever I ask him how he is doing, he replies: Thank God I am OK – there are so many so much worse off than me.

Lately, he chuckled and added: Pain is a sign that you are still alive. When you stop feeling pain that’s when you should worry.

Dear Lord help those in pain right now. Amen.

8 comments:

  1. When you stop feeling pain that’s when you should worry.
    I had this worry about myself with regards to someone recently, and I took this worry to Our Lady of Fatima. Turns out I was right to worry - something was hardening within me. Our Lady led me to a prayer to bring back to life what was slipping away. I wonder what would have happened had I not gone to Her.

    That was a good worry to have, I must say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caitlynne, it is said that whoever goes to Our Lady in prayer will not leave empty handed.

      I am praying for you that all is well in your life.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  2. My mother suffers from arthritis. She's 82. Say a prayer for her. It has been getting worst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praying for your mother, and for you and your family, Manny.

      God bless you all.

      Delete
  3. Amen, and amen! I loved the point you made that His suffering on the cross far outweighs any pain we will ever suffer in this life. God bless you, my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Cheryl. He suffered on the cross for all of us.

      God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing this Victor. Our pains are our crosses. And they are relative. You raise an interesting question about Jesus suffering from old age pains. I imagine if He did, He would accept them as suffering for us. To your point, I also imagine they would be far far less painful than what He went through.

    God Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Michael, as you say, His suffering on the cross far outways whatever pains we go through.

      God bless you my friend.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.