Wednesday 22 November 2017

Advice on a First Date


A young friend of mine surprised me the other day by asking me for advice on a first date. Why he chose me for advice I do not know. He is in his early twenties and I would have thought it more appropriate to ask someone his own age; but there you are. For some reason he asked me. Maybe he was testing me to see whether I was modern and sophisticated, as one should be in this day and age; or perhaps he was genuinely seeking help and advice on matters of the heart.

Anyway, his reasons aside, I decided to take his request seriously and give him the benefit of my experience. We went out to a quiet pub where we will not be disturbed and told him all I know. In case any of you readers may benefit from what I had to say, I record my thoughts here:

First of all you must remember that you only get one chance to make a first impression. The way you appear when another person first sees you is what will stick in their mind as a first impression. Any subsequent meetings will be a second, third or more impressions. That is if you are fortunate enough to go on another date with that person.

So bearing this in mind, make sure that the first impression is what the other person will remember. A flamboyant tie, a handkerchief in the top pocket of your jacket, or a cravat round your neck are all examples of a first impression. Personally, I have found that wearing underpants on my head really hit the mark when I used to date.

Making conversation is also important to get to know the person you are dating. Ask the lady you are with questions and show interest in her answers. Women generally like to talk about themselves. No woman has ever said, "What a bad date that was. All I did is talk about myself!"

Ask deep meaningful questions, this will make you know your date better and, should you be fortunate enough to have another date you can use that information to good effect.

Questions which in the past I have found effective are:

What is your favourite colour?

Do you like ants?

What is your opinion about investing in the automotive industry as opposed to banking or insurance?

If the person you are with happens to be Catholic; ask her what she thinks of Vatican II. Otherwise, ask her if she believes there are animals in Heaven; and if so, what would she say when she came face to face with the Sunday roast admonishing her for having eaten it.

I once asked a lady whether she liked ants, and used that information when we subsequently went on a picnic in the park by taking with me a can of ant spray. Unfortunately some spray went in her face and I had to rush her to hospital. I never saw her again after that.

Another lady told me her favourite colour was red. On a later date I met her wearing a red nose like a clown. This is because our local gas station shop did not have any red roses; so I thought a red nose would do. I never saw this lady either after that.

Always be careful about what you order during the meal. Some foods are a real no no on a first date. Spaghetti is a good example because as you slurp the long snake like pasta you risk showering her with splatters of tomato sauce. Also, be careful not to order a whole poussin (small chicken), or half a chicken. They are notoriously difficult to cut, especially if you have a blunt knife, and they are likely to slide all over the plate or even fly off the table. This happened to me once when the chicken flew right onto the floor and a passing waiter got his foot caught in the large aperture at the bottom of the bird. He walked away with my meal in his foot, and the lady I was with thought I had already eaten the whole bird bones and all.

Also, be very careful not to order foods that have a special connotation in peoples' mind. Venison for instance reminds people of Bambi; or at Christmas of Rudolph and his companions. Rabbit remind them of a pet rabbit they may have had as a child, or some cartoon character or other like Bugs Bunny; or in the case of duck, of Daffy Duck or Donald Duck.

Ordering of food is such a delicate subject full of elephant traps and you can so easily get it wrong and upset the young lady you are dating. That is why I always take my dates to a fast food outlet where they can have a hamburger and French fries, or if she is a vegetarian she can have a fish cake in a bun or a salad sandwich. It is cheaper too than a proper restaurant and you can flamboyantly pick up the whole cost of the meal.

Ordering drinks on a first date can also be tricky. These days there are so many different cocktails with confusing names that you can easily order the wrong thing without meaning to. And then there's the wine list with just as confusing names like Chateau Expensive or Chateau Exorbitant; which to be honest all taste exactly the same and the only difference is the label on the bottle and the price thereof. That's why I always go to a fast food outlet where the milk shake, or the fizzy drinks prices are reasonable. Be careful, however, not to drink too many fizzy drinks as you'll need to go to the bathroom during the meal  giving your date an opportunity to escape.

Finally, be a gentleman and after the date never let the young lady go home alone. That's why I always go on first dates with a bicycle meant for two.

Hence the song:

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do
I’m half crazy over the love of you
It won’t be a stylish marriage
I can’t afford a carriage
But you’ll look sweet
Upon the seat
Of a bicycle built for two.

8 comments:

  1. Maybe your friend was put up by your wife to assess if you had been on any dates recently. You apparently gave your friend such poor advice that you have settled her nerves that you have not been cheating on her. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Manny,

      Of course I did not cheat. But, why do you say it is poor advice? It's good advice born from personal experience.

      God bless you my friend.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi Brian,

      I try to give the benefit of my experience to the young ones taking their first hesitant steps into dating.

      I remember years ago, I took a date to a restaurant. Throughout the meal she seductively ran her finger in my plate. She moved round the peas, the potatoes, the meat and so on. I had difficulty eating and risking stabbing her with the fork and knife. I could not understand what she was doing. So I asked her: "would you like to try some of my food?"

      She said: "No ... I've dropped my contact lens in your plate!"

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. Hi Victor! Phew! Thank goodness my dating days are well behind me. Who knew how complicated it was to just order food?
    You are certainly right about the conversation thing though. Who complains about having a chance to talk about themselves? I did have a great chuckle about the Vatican II question. That's reaching back some isn't it? I wonder how many young people know much about that ground-breaking set of meetings??
    Blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ceil,

      I'm so pleased I made you smile.

      The reason for the Vatican II question is because over here many Catholic Blogs are still debating it. Questions like: Should we have Mass in Latin? Should the priest face the congregation or not? Communion on the tongue. And many other issues which may or may not emanate from Vatican II.

      God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  4. The very thought of a date sends me hiding under the covers! My laugh for today!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.