Saturday 4 February 2023

Nonsense Reality

 

We read so much on social media, in papers and magazines, and we see or hear on TV and radio, and we cannot make out what is real and what is truth.
 

What is truth? asked Pilate. You can't handle the truth, said Jack Nicholson. Well, obviously neither of them have read this Blog otherwise they would be just as confused as me as to what is real, what is nonsense and what is truth.

For example, I visited a pencil museum some weeks ago and they had an exhibit entitled "William Shakespeare's Pencil." It was marked on the side "2B or not 2B".

Now I don't know whether this is realistic or not. I remember reading that the Old Bard used quills to write with. He took feathers from geese or swans, sharpened them, and then used them to press the keys on his computer keyboard.

He used a small knife to sharpen the end of the quill into a pen. Hence the word penknife.

In another museum I saw two skulls; a large one and a much smaller one. The large one had a notice saying "Galileo's skull". The smaller one had a notice saying, "Galileo as a child". Could this be true? How did they find both skulls over a period of time as Galileo grew up?

Whilst standing in the library next to the Geographical Section, I picked up a book and started reading it. After ten minutes a man approached me and said, "Do you realise that all the time you've been standing here over 100,000 trees in the rainforests have been cut down?"

So I moved somewhere else. I don't want to be responsible for cutting down the rainforests.

I sat at a table and continued reading. Another man next to me said, "Amazing statistics ... do you realise that every time I breath in and out someone in the world dies?" I suggested he uses a better mouthwash.

Just to check, I picked up a newspaper to count how many people are in the obituaries. Amazing how people always die in alphabetical order.

These days it is difficult to work out what is true and what is not any more. Another example, I was reading the ingredients on the wrapper of a bar of chocolate. It said, "Suitable for vegetarians - contains beef and lamb juices".
And then there is this ...

I don't know whether to believe this; I read in the press that there is a new computer program for husbands to interact with a virtual wife in various circumstances; like where to go on holiday, where to school the children, and other family scenarios so that the husband can practice loving and considerate behaviour. Can you imagine? Being told off and nagged by two wives? I wonder if the program also has two mothers-in-law?


DO NOT PRESS BELOW

26 comments:

  1. ...reality does seem to exist these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? My wife's face cream said I will look 10 years younger. I tried it and it got stuck all over my beard !!!

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  2. I have oftn wondered this, THANKS for clarifying:
    He used a small knife to sharpen the end of the quill into a pen. Hence the word penknife.
    You solved that mystery, THANKS.
    But the two skulls does confuse me...
    Thanks for the inspiring read, so much info we cannot do without.
    It was fun.
    Sherry & jack smiling over here....(but cold)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's true Jack; that's where the word penknife originates from. As for the skulls; the museum attendant explained that they took Galileo's skull when he was young, and then waited until he was much older and took his larger skull when he died.

      God bless you and Sherry always.

      Delete
  3. 2B or not 2B :) Maybe better off using a mechanical pencil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also understand that later in life Shakespeare used Biro ball point pens to write his plays.

      God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the Saturday funnies, Victor. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liked the bridesmaids in church. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Victor,
    Guess that nowadays we hear more nonsense and out of context things than TRUTH!
    By doing away with religion—all morals are off the table!
    It takes some strong backbone for seeing through this and for not getting affected—nor sidetracked by the social media's mass brainwashing people into thinking en mass!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, many people are influenced by social media, and TV as well as advertising. It's like mass hypnotism.

      God bless, Mariette.

      Delete
  7. Great thoughts, Victor! Dying in alphabetic order nearly made me spit my coffee. I can imagine the sight of those bridesmaids really happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find when life gets overly serious, a little humour helps me a lot. I needed this post to cheer me up. I'm glad it made you smile.

      God bless Mevely my friend.

      Delete
  8. Complicating the issue is there can be a difference between real and true. The monsters under the bed are real to the child, but the truth is there are no actual monsters under there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have monsters under the bed when I was a child. Dad cut the legs off the bed and they disappeared.

      God bless, Mimi.

      Delete
  9. LOL...2B or not 2B...really enjoyed that. Two skulls, you're really on a roll my friend. I agree there's so much out there some folks have trouble knowing what is real and not...then again some don't try to determine. If it doesn't pass the smell test...chances are it's not real is not a bad fall back for folks to lazy to do a little research.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the problem Sandy, too many people don't try to determine what is true and what is not. They believe what they want to believe regardless.

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  10. I enjoyed these, thanks Victor.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan. I certainly needed them to cheer myself.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  11. "I suggested he uses a better mouthwash."

    Hahahaha, very funny. I wonder why they put 2B on wooden pencils?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe the 2B is a classification as to how much graphite is in the pencil lead - i.e. how dark/light is the grey colour when you write with it. Either that, or it is in honour of Shakespeare.

      God bless, Manny.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.