I went to the green grocers about a mile or so from our house. I
bought some apples, some pears, some potatoes and some carrots. They
were quite heavy. About two kilos each of apples, pears and carrots and
three kilos of potatoes.
The green grocer put them in a plastic bag which I carried back home. It was a long walk with all that weight.
Then suddenly the bag burst under all this weight and there were apples, pears, potatoes and carrots all over the ground.
How do I carry them home, I thought, I can't leave them there. I might be caught on security cameras and accused of throwing litter in the street. Then genius struck. It won't be said I am not resourceful or inventive.
I took off the shoe laces from my boots and tied them very tight round the legs of my trousers; just above the ankles.
Then I put the fruits and vegetables down my trousers. I put them in from the waist.
When
they were all tucked in my trouser legs I tightened my belt even more
so as not to lose my trousers and held on to them by putting my hands in
my pockets.
My legs were swollen by the weight of the fruits and vegetables therein.
I started my walk back home. It was like walking in the sea with water up to my waist. Very slow and very tiring.
Because I had no shoe laces I risked losing my boots if I lifted my feet up.
So
I slid one foot a few inches forward; then slid the other foot next to
it, then slid my foot a little further forward again, and slid my other
foot near it.
Because
my legs were swollen to more than twice their original size; the
sliding forward was done in a semi-circle fashion rather than straight
ahead as you would expect.
This walking, or sliding forward a few inches at a time, with my hands in my pockets was quite tiring, I tell you.
Everyone
was watching me and wondering what was wrong with me. People coming up
ahead towards me, suddenly stopped and crossed the road on the other
side. They did not want to meet me in case my swollen legs syndrome was
catching.
Others wondered why I had my hands in my pockets and shouted obscenities at me.
Cars nearly bumped into each other as they stopped to look at me rather than the way ahead.
Some drivers wound their windows down and shouted something unrepeatable here.
I eventually got home. My wife was not impressed by my ingenuity at carrying the fruits and vegetables home when I took off my trousers revealing all.
LOL...I might believe this had you snapped a photo of your swollen legs. But hey...you know what to do when you go back to the grocery store. YOU TAKE EXTRA BAGS WITH YOU!! Have a good one Victor!! Blessings.
ReplyDeleteI did not have room in my pants for a camera!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DeleteGod bless, Shug.
The moral of the story is to always take your own bag and avoid the cheap plastic ones.
ReplyDeleteI guess we learn from morals - after the event.
DeleteGod bless, Kathy.
How you manage to get into such predicaments is beyond me, Victor, but they sure are entertaining! Blessings!
ReplyDeleteWhat could I do, Martha? I couldn't just leave the fruit and vegetables on the ground and walk away.
DeleteGod bless always.
Oh bless you, just glad you made it home safely! It is good to have fruits and vegetables, so good for you but like the other commenters have said, make sure you have the reusable sturdy bags next time! Makes for a funny story though. 😅
ReplyDeleteYes Kay; next time I'll take my own bags with me to the shops. God bless you and yours.
DeleteYou need a shopping trolley/granny cart to solve your problem.
ReplyDeleteGood point, Bill. Next time I'll do that I think.
DeleteGod bless.
Your imagination, whether true or not, is remarkable. Truly.
ReplyDeleteYes, I had to carry my imagination also. Life's getting too heavy.
DeleteGod bless you, Barbara.
Wunderbar - du Hüter der goldenen Gaben. Wir bereichern unser Leben oft wirklich durch alltägliche Dinge... und lernen immer etwas Neues. Ich könnte leicht ein Kinderbuch veranschaulichen, das auf Ihren Erfahrungen heute basiert... über all die wunderbaren Geschenke, die wir heute und morgen erhalten.
ReplyDeleteIch sende dir eine Umarmung.
Danke.
TRANSLATION: Wonderful—you guardian of golden gifts. We often truly enrich our lives through everyday things... and are always learning something new. I could easily illustrate a children's book based on your experiences today... about all the wonderful gifts we receive, both today and tomorrow.
DeleteSending you a hug. Thank you.
Hello Barwitzki; thank you for visiting us here. God bless.
Oh my Victor!
ReplyDeletePleased you made it home safely.
All the best Jan
So did the fruits and veg!
DeleteGod bless you, Jan.
Gosh, that sounds like a burdensome way to get your fruits and veggies. Wouldn't taking them in pill form be easier?
ReplyDeleteYes it would Mevely. One day they'll invent a whole meal in pill form. No more cooking, no more restaurants, no more pizza delivery!
DeleteGod bless you and your family.
thecontemplativecat here. REALLY? You did that? Did you get pictures? Next time, use a double bag. or take off your shirt. But this was a great image.
ReplyDeleteI don't have pictures because I left my camera at home.
DeleteGod bless you, Susan.
Well, needs must!
ReplyDeleteIndeed Mimi. God bless.
DeleteWow, that's even more lame than the rest of your fairy tales.
ReplyDeleteLame?
DeleteGod bless.