Thursday 8 March 2012

Mary cries



Father Ignatius was in his office when George came running in.

“Father come quick” he gasped in between breaths, “the Virgin Mary is crying ….”

“Calm down George … take a deep breath … now tell me, what is going on?”

“The statue of the Virgin Mary, in church …” said George, “it is crying. Come and see for yourself ….”

The priest left the Parish house and followed George across the car park and into the church. By the left of the altar there was a large statue of Our Lady high on a pedestal. Father Ignatius had sat there in the front pew many a time reciting the Rosary.

As he approached the statue, Sonia, who was there with George and others cleaning the church in time for Sunday spoke first.

“Hello Father,” said Sonia, “this is really weird. We were cleaning around here when I looked up at the statue and noticed her cheeks were wet. I thought I was seeing things … but look … doesn’t it seem wet to you?"

The priest looked up, and true enough; the statue’s face seemed to glisten in the light.

“George …” he said, “there’s a small ladder in the garage. Would you mind getting it please?”

Moments later Father Ignatius climbed the ladder gingerly to get a closer look. And for certain, there was a little moisture on the statue’s face, just beneath the eyes and on the face. He took out his handkerchief and wiped the statue dry.

“It’s probably condensation,” he said as he got off the ladder, “it sometimes happens in old churches. Condensation builds up and turns to moisture on a cold surface.”

The situation was quickly defused and the volunteers got back to cleaning the church.

That evening, as Father Ignatius sat on the front pew to pray the Rosary he looked up and sure enough the statue was moist again on the face. He looked carefully standing on a nearby chair and was convinced that, somehow, the condensation, or were they tears, had built up once again. Only on the face of the statue.

The mysterious incident did not happen again. He checked the following day several times and all seemed back to normal. Or so he thought.

Because somehow the local paper had got hold of the story and placed it on their front page, having also obtained a picture of the statue in question.

“VIRGIN IN TEARS” read the headline in big letters.

It quoted various un-named parishioners who said they had seen the Virgin Mary cry and suggested a miracle had occurred.

By itself, the newspaper article was a small story in a town where nothing ever happens. Yet the priest felt he needed to address the issue quickly.

On Sunday he approached the pulpit and said:

“I am sure you have all read the article in the press about the statue of Our Lady over there.

“And no doubt you want to hear my views on the matter. So let me tell you now categorically that in my view I do not know.

“I do not know whether this was a build up of condensation or whether they were tears as some people believe. I can only tell you that this happened a few days ago and has not happened again since.

“But I think we should consider this.

“Has the Virgin Mary good cause to cry? I ask you.

“When she looks down on us what does she see? Does she see pure believing loving hearts, or hidden lies and hypocrisy?

“What is the state of Her Son’s Church on earth these days? Have His words taken roots and flourish abundantly in our hearts and in our lives? Or do we just pay lip service to our beliefs and wear Christianity as a badge rather than a Truth?

“There is really nothing more we can say about the events here a few days ago. Whether we witnessed a miracle or whether the moisture on the statue was just a natural occurrence will remain a conjecture for some time no doubt.

“But one thing is certain. That event has given us all an opportunity to look deeply within our hearts and ask whether we have given cause for Our Blessed Mother to weep.”

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I think Fr. Ignatius handled the situation quite well & given all of us a reason to examine our own hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Munchesmom,

    It's so nice to see you here. Thanx for writing in to tell me you liked this story.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with munchesmom, Fr. Ignatius did handle the situation very well indeed. And, I think Our Lady cries over the state of our world quite often.

    Thanks Victor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right Daily Grace. Our Lady does cry indeed.

    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a beautiful Rosa Mystica in our kitchen...I always check for tears!
    that sounds crazy, i know. She seems to be smiling...I ask Her help so many times!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Victor,

    I think Fr Ignatius was right to be cautious and not give his opinion on whether anything supernatural had occurred. I also like how he used the situation to give us all something to think about. It's a pity we don't look into our hearts more deeply more often. If we did, we wouldn't need to look to supernatural happenings for guidance.

    Thank you for the Mary story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Momto8 and Sue,

    It's so sad that the world today has given Mary and her Son cause to cry.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely story Victor. Like Sue Elvis I feel we should look more deeply into our hearts more often...I have always wondered why we need (sometimes look for) supernatural happenings to be guided, or motivated into believing. I guess for some it works that way!
    Thanks for this beautiful Fr Ignatius story : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Doreen! At one time I was fascinated by visions and supernatural occurrences. I got drawn into end times discussions and led away from the real gifts of our faith: the Bible, the Church, the writings of the saints,... For me, there is plenty there to guide me and I no longer go looking for other 'signs'. Though I do believe God still uses visions etc to draw us back to Him such as at Fatima! The problem I see with supernatural happenings is unless the Church gives her approval, how can we be sure of the origin of them?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Doreen and Sue,

    You are so right. We really don't need visions to believe; although genuine ones do happen.

    Yet again, the Church here does not lead and guide. Gor over 20 years we have heard of visions in Medgugorge yet the Vatican has still to authenticate them as genuine. yet priests go there and take parishioners on pilgrimage. When I pointed this anomaly to priests they said they go there "in a personal capacity".

    What does that mean? A priest should set an example based on Vatican guidance. Not have a personal capacity to proclaim something as being true or not.

    Sue, I do not want to give the plot of my book "Visions" away. But something like this happens in the book.

    God bless you Doreen and Sue and your families.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Victor,

    I was wondering about the plot of your book! I am partway through and involved with the story. I can't wait to read tonight's chapters.

    Yes, however much we may want to believe in some apparition, it is safer to wait for the Church's verdict. St John of the Cross advises us to ignore all visions, even private revelations. He says if they are authentic and of God, they will eventually be proclaimed as such, one way or another. God will see to that.

    It's a topic that can result in strong feelings. Normally I keep quiet about my opinions!

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sue,

    St John of the Cross is right. If I say anymore I'd be revealing the plot of my book.

    God will certainly make known that a vision or message is from Him.

    I hope you enjoy the book.

    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Victor,

    I finished your book! It was very well written and compelling. Do you mind a question or two?

    Fr Ignatius was told by his superiors to keep quiet while an investigation was carried out. He didn't do this. He decided himself that the visions were true and were coming from God. He felt the need to be brave and say he believed the children and had in fact seen a vision himself. Wouldn't it have been better for him to have waited for a verdict from the Church, to have ignored the vision? God is patient and the message would have been spread eventually.

    What if the devil had listened to George and had healed his son, and what if he was behind the visions? How could Fr Ignatius be sure this wasn't the case? By people returning to God? By the feeling of peace he had? People say the same things about Medjugorje. Did I misunderstand the story?

    Sorry, Victor for the questions. Your story has set me thinking...

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sue,

    Thanx for your kind words about my book.

    Rather than reply here and spoil the storyline for other readers, I'll email you privately.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  15. In 2010 I wrote a poem about Mary's Tears and posted it on my blog: http://www.sufferingwithjoy.com/2010/03/01/marys-tears/

    It was after reflecting on the Passion and Mary having to see Jesus go through all that pain. Today I'm sure she still weeps for what we put Jesus through in all of humanity.

    Father Ignatius handled the situation perfectly. Good for him! We do need faith as in, "Blessed are they who have not seen but have believed."

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's sad Barb that we give Our Lord and Our Lady cause to weep.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.