Tuesday 16 October 2012

At the seaside

I was on business at a seaside town and I finished my afternoon meeting early. I decided to take a walk on the beach.

It was warm and everyone was either swimming or lying there on the sand half-naked enjoying the sun and cooking slowly.

Not me. I decided to be as inconspicuous as possible in my pin striped suit, emerald green bow tie with pink spots, hat with a bright feather sticking out of the side, and of course, dark sunglasses.

I must admit though, I envied all those people enjoying the cool sea. They certainly looked happy, so I decided to join them.

I approached the edge of the sea and took off my shoes and socks, which I put inside the shoes. The red sock in the left shoe and the green sock in the right shoe … that way I’ll remember which is which when I get to wear them again. Then I rolled up my pin-striped trousers all the way to just above the knee and I walked into the sea.

Oh … it was lovely. Even though people looked at me suspiciously! I could see the expression on their incredulous faces through my dark glasses and they could not see that I was looking at them looking at me. So I had the advantage on them I think. Even though they were giggling surreptitiously and nudging each other.  

Anyway … I ignored them as I am accustomed to doing when people stare at me in the street or on the train in my attire.

Suddenly, I started dancing and hopping from foot to foot in the sea, splashing water everywhere and attracting more attention to myself.

A woman asked: “Is this Candid Camera?”

A number of onlookers laughed at me and someone said “I think he’s filming a comedy film. Where are the cameras Mister?”

I must admit, the same thought would have crossed my mind if I saw someone in pin-striped suit dancing in the sea; but I was in too much pain to see the funny side of what was happening.

I got out of the water to reveal a huge jellyfish stuck to the outside of my right leg. Why is it that with all these half-naked people in the sea the jellyfish chose me to attack? Does he not like business attire perhaps? Or is it the feather in my hat and my green bowtie?

“Jellyfish … jelly fish …” I cried out in pain.

“Oh … quickly,” said a rotund woman, “you must wee-wee on it!”

How could I possibly wee-wee on it whilst wearing a pin striped suit? Or wearing anything for that matter! The creature was attached on the outside of my leg just below the knee and I can’t see it as a physical possibility to attack it with … Oh never mind.

The woman then said, “Or you can let someone else wee-wee on it!”

As I could not see a queue of volunteers ready to assist me in this manner I continued to jump up and down and hitting the jellyfish with my hat. It broke the feather right off and made the hat quite un-wearable.

A young man came running to my help and said “You have to pour vinegar on it! Do you have any vinegar?”

“Oh yes,” I thought, “I always carry a gallon bottle of vinegar in my pocket just in case of such an occurrence.” 

But I was in too much pain to say anything. I just shook my head.

The man asked someone to run to the Fish and Chips shop nearby and get a bottle of vinegar.

“I have no money!” said the other person.

I got out my wallet and gave him a £5 note … the smallest currency I had. He smiled and ran away. I wondered if I’d ever see him again.

Eventually he returned with a small bottle of vinegar which the first young man gently poured on the jellyfish. It shriveled and let go of my leg.

“You must get this seen to in hospital.” said the young man.

I nodded and thanked him. I turned round to get my shoes only to find that the tide had come in somewhat and taken them out to sea with the red and green socks waving at me happily as they sailed away!

I hopped bare feet and minus my hat into a taxi and to the nearest hospital.

And the moral of this story, dear friends, is: Never go to sea in a pin-striped suit!

11 comments:

  1. Perhaps next time you should consider hounds-tooth!!!

    Cute one Victor..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Daily Grace and Sinder.

    I'm glad I made you smile.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well told, wonderful self-deprecating humour. Thomas Merton(Trappist Monk) was once asked if it was possible to assertain if another was holy. He answered," It is very hard to know but usually holiness is accompanied by a wonderful sense of humour!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Melanie. Sometimes humour keeps me going.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Victor! the merest sting of a jellyfish is fatal...

    How on earth did you survive?

    Perhaps it was the pin-strip suit sucked the poison out of you..heh heh he

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The magic of pin-striped suits.

      God bless you Remedia.

      Delete
  6. A sense of humor keeps me sane for sure! I think I would have just gone for the fish n chips : ) +

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do love fish and chips with salt and vinegar.

    My doctor said they were fattening. So I told him not to eat them.

    God bless you Caroline.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know those little pools that the kids make at the ocean? Bet you'd never find a living jellyfish in one of those....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Knowing my luck, there'd be a jellyfish there too.

    God bless you Mary.

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.