Saturday 10 May 2014

If you don't believe ... leave ...


John Chapter 6 has been the source of much debate and confusion over the years ... and the arguments will still go on. No doubt to the amusement of Jesus looking down upon us and saying: "You of little Faith. Why can't you just believe and stop dissecting and analysing everything I said as if I were an insect in your lab!"

I speak of course of the part in that Chapter where Jesus says He is "the Bread of life" and later when He says that unless people eat His flesh or drink His blood they will not have life.

As you can imagine, this was very confusing to His listeners; even His followers and disciples.

"What is He on about?" they asked. "How can we eat His flesh and drink His blood? This is cannibalism surely. This is too much for us. We don't want to follow this guy any longer!"

So what did Jesus do?

He didn't say "Hey ... wait a minute. You didn't understand what I meant. This is what I really meant to say ... let me explain!"

No ... Jesus let them go. He didn't try to justify Himself or what He had just said. It was as if He dissolved the unspoken contract between them. They could not accept a certain clause so He let them go.

Then He turned to His disciples and asked: "How about you? Do you want to go as well?"

As ever, Peter was first to answer: "To whom shall we go?" he asked. "We're in this for the duration, all the way, to the end". Or words to that effect, signifying the he trusted Jesus without question; albeit no doubt he had many questions in his mind. Peter accepted Christ's words without question and stepped out in blind Faith and dared to believe.

So what are we to make of all this after all these years? Did Jesus mean what He said literally or was it all symbolism and imagery using common day articles of the time like bread and wine to signify the sacrifice He is to endure for us? His flesh would be torn by the beating and the nailing to the Cross and His blood would be spilled for us. Was it all symbolism?

Quite frankly, I'm with Peter on this.

I don't believe there is much to be gained in debating this ad-infinitum because in reality I doubt any of us will ever come to a satisfactory conclusion. Wiser heads than mine have argued this matter over the centuries much to the amusement of Jesus looking down from above. Any efforts by me at interpreting this would no doubt have Jesus rolling on the floor with laughter.

So I am minded to accept it for what it is. Something that Jesus said and we're to believe it as best we humanly can.

There's no point in closing your eyes tightly and repeating over and over again "I believe ... I believe ... even though I don't understand it ... I believe".

God who can see deep within our hearts, and knows our human nature and its failings, realises that it is too difficult for us to understand.

But then, He does not ask us to understand Him. He asks us to love Him and to trust Him without any evidence whatsoever.

It's what is called Faith.

To believe when your common sense tells you not to.

By the way: you may wish to visit this link and see what happened to a priest who had difficulties in believing. Click HERE.

God bless.

12 comments:

  1. Amen to this Victor - it really does come down to trust in the Lord's words and faith. All the scholarly debates in the world will never penetrate the depths of the mysteries of God. They are a gift to us to receive. God's blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie for visiting me and for taking the time to write in. Much appreciated.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  2. Amen Victor.
    Of course, I often find myself wondering why Jesus didn't explain more of this to those around Him. Why didn't He say "no, wait, you aren't understanding ... its more like this ..." HE, of course, has His reasons, and who am I to question. I'm more like you and Peter - I just believe and trust in Him. It's much easier that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true Michael. Jesus spoke often in parables because people could not understand plain speaking. On this occasion, more than once, He says that unless they eat His flesh and drink His blood they will not have eternal life. He does not explain because he knew that the explanation would be well beyond their intellect. Even now, it is beyond our intellect. That's why we believe without question.

      God bless.

      Delete
    2. Victor #1!

      With your permission, I would like to take a moment in time to wish all your readers a very Happy Mother's Day and for those, for whatever reasons, who are not Mothers then I'll take this opportunity to wish all of their "Mothers and their "Mother's Mothers a Blessed Happy Mother's Day cause I'm sure that they all spent some time in a Mother's Womb in safety.

      I hear YA! I'll keep praying for you Victor.

      Thank You cause I also believe

      God Bless

      Delete
    3. Happy Mother's Day to you and yours too. Thanx so much for much needed prayers.

      Praying for you all. God bless.

      Delete
  3. Hi Victor,
    Great post! I was reading an article yesterday by a Protestant writer and he was disgusted by our beliefs concerning the Eucharist. Reading it, I never felt angry but I definitely felt sad. And do you know what saddened me the most? That this man wouldn't get to receive it because his church thought it was merely a symbol.

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand your feelings Mary. The thing is, many people do not believe in the Eucharist because their church, and their church leaders told them so. And these leaders were also told so by generations before them. The lack of belief is perpetuated forward.

      No one seems to want to take that step in blind Faith and believe without understanding.

      God bless.

      Delete
  4. Your title really grabbed hold of me, Victor. ..."Leave"... We turn our backs (in many ways). So do we believe, or do we walk away? [or neither?] But the "children" come! Peter's response is perfect. God bless you, Victor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all a question of Faith.

      God bless Eileen.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.