Sunday 26 September 2010

Channel of Peace.

It was Friday evening and as usual Sister Martha had called at the Parish House on her way home to the Convent. She sat in the large living room with Father Ignatius enjoying a lovely cup of tea and ginger biscuits whilst watching the news on TV.

Some person or other had been nominated for a Peace Prize because of his work around the world.

“What a great honour,” said Sister Martha, “to be nominated for having tried to establish a little peace in this troubled world.”

“Yes indeed,” replied the priest picking up another ginger biscuit.

“Reminds me of the Prayer of St Francis of Assisi … Make me a channel of your peace,” continued the nun, “it must be wonderful to have spent one’s life furthering the cause of peace. It should bring a smile to God’s face” she concluded chortling silently.

“There isn’t much to make God smile nowadays,” said Father Ignatius, “so someone like this person doing his bit for peace should bring a great smile in Heaven!”

“This makes me wonder …” she said, “does someone have to be a Christian to be a channel of God’s peace? What if someone has no faith at all, a total un-believer? And he works hard for peace … is he God’s channel or not? What do you think Ignatius?”

The priest put his cup of tea down and pondered for a minute or so whilst she switched off the TV.

“I believe our God wishes Peace on this earth,” said Father Ignatius softly, “Christ used to welcome people with the words ‘Peace be with you’,

“But I don’t think that it is a condition for God to use us as a channel of His peace that we should have Faith.

“God can and will use anyone in the right circumstances to do His will on earth and to further His Kingdom. If someone with no Faith at all is in the right place and at the right time then I believe God will use him. That person with no Faith may not even know that he is guided by God, yet he will be a channel of God’s peace all the same.

“Remember Moses was hesitant at first, when approached by God, citing his stammer as an impediment to the task ahead. But God chose him anyway.

“Paul had no Faith whatsoever. He was a declared enemy of God; in fact he fought God by killing the followers of Jesus. If ever there was a man chosen to further God’s Kingdom on earth Paul was such a man. But look where he started from … an un-believer with no Faith.

“No Martha, I don’t think one needs to be a Christian to be a channel of God’s peace.

“To be a channel for God’s use we need to be willing to listen to Him, to obey Him and to trust Him in every respect.”

13 comments:

  1. I agree with Father Ignatius. God choooses who He chooses. Not who man assumes He chooses. I also ate ( or is it eat?) a ginger biscuit yesterday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post, Victor. Your post made me think of that quote by I think Mother Teresa: "God doesn't call the equipped, he equips those He calls.
    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Shadowlands and Karinann,

    How lovely to see you visiting here. Thanx for your comments.

    Every home should have a ginger biscuit I say.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had this hymn sung at both my husband and my son's funeral and I agree God chooses those he knows will do the best thing to bring about peace......:-)Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. My experience and observation has been similar to Father Ignatius and those who've commented above, that God uses whomever He chooses to His ends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Victor, great teaching!! AND I want to stop by for a cuppa and a ginger biscuit, gosh they are sooo good. Only one though because I am a diabetic now...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree! God created everyone for love and can use anyone as a channel for his peace if He so chooses!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a great post to start the morning off with! Thank you Victor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. God will surely use anyone that to be his channel. Great post.

    Just also wanted to thank you for visiting my blog and your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Bernie, Tracy, Crystal Mary, Mary, Daily Grace and Toyin O.

    How nice to see so many of you visiting me here. I'll try to visit your Blogs soon ... life's been a little difficult lately here.

    I hope and pray that you are all keeping well.

    May God bless you all and your families always.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that quote of Mother Theresa's that Karinann posted!

    I think a distinction should be made between those God uses to further His work and those who act through philanthropic efforts to further their own ideals; the latter are not doing it for the glory of God, thus their work bears no merit for the salvation of their souls.

    ReplyDelete
  12. God is the finest Philanthropist I know!!!

    "Philanthropy is the effort or inclination to increase the well-being of humankind"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Paramedicgirl and Shadowlands,

    We never know when God will tap us on the shoulder and ask us to perform His will on earth. Sometimes it's just a matter of bearing witness on His behalf.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.