Wednesday 22 September 2010

Tell it as it is.

Miss Lemon had invited Father Ignatius to sit in at Catechism class for the seven year olds at Junior School. He duly obliged and after the youngsters greeted him warmly and sang a welcoming song for him, Miss Lemon managed to settle them down and start her class.

She was talking about the sanctity of marriage and how important the family unit is in today’s society.

“When a man and a woman love each other very much,” she said, “they decide to get married and they have a wedding. Jesus went to a wedding a long time ago. Father Ignatius will read you the story later. How many of you have been to a wedding?”

A few children raised their hands and they talked all at once relating their experiences.

“Good … OK settle down,” she continued gently, “now when a man and a woman get married in church there is a priest there to bless the marriage … and the man and woman are given rings to wear on this finger here … Did you see that happen … Those of you who have been to a wedding?”

One or two of them said they’d seen this when they attended a relative’s wedding.

“The wedding rings are a symbol of the people’s love for one another,” continued Miss Lemon patiently, “and they normally wear the ring all their lives. It shows to everyone that they are married.

“So … can anyone tell me how you tell a man and a woman are married?”

A young boy raised his hand and said, “They yell at the same kids!”

16 comments:

  1. Out of the mouths of babes...I liked this!!! Thanks for the smiles! Have a grand day! Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids do say the darndest things. You've got to love their innocence and brute honesty.
    Thanks for this on, Victor and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the teacher's name! Cute story!

    I've been meaning to tell you that last week when I was at the Vocation Director's Conference, I met a real Fr. Ignatius! I don't remember where he was from, I think it might have been California. He was very tall with a full head of dark hair and a pleasant smile. He was very kind and friendly, just like a Fr.Ignatius should be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny! My daughter is seven and you never know what will come out of her mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Cathy, Jackie, Karinann, Anne, Mary and Joey.

    It's so nice and so kind of you to visit me here and to take the trouble to write in. I'm so grateful for your support.

    Hey ... there's a real Father Ignatius out there! Anne found him for us. Anyone else found a real Father Ignatius?

    God bless you all and your families always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now this is cute, and I can just hear the children responding this way as well. Good to be back my friend, I have missed you....:-)Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Bernie,

    What a nice thing to say. I missed you too and I'm so glad you're back.

    God bless you dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So funny, out of the mouth of babes.
    I was a catechist for 11 years teaching children from 5-12years. One day when speaking of Joseph Mary and Jesus I told the children that because Joseph was a carpenter thats what Jesus learnt to be.I asked the class of 5 yr olds to put up their hand if they knew what a carpenter was. One little boy answered, "A man who lays carpet." I learnt by that, they don't always know what we are talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Victor

    I haven't been visiting my blogger friends much lately but I have taken an hour or so today to try and catch up with them. I have missed you all and I hope all is well with you.

    I love the teacher's name. Is there a hidden message there somewhere? It is a great story, as always, Victor.

    I won't stay away so long again. Thanks for all the smiles you spread. God bless you, Victor.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Crystal Mary and Breadgirl,

    It's so nice to see you visiting again. Great to see you here again Breadgirl after such a long time.

    No hidden message in the teacher's name. When I write these stories the names of characters is what takes me most time to make up. So I thought ... why not Miss Lemon? Rather unusual.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sarah,

    Well ... actually parents don't yell. They speak loud to attract their children's attention.

    God bless you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Victor! Yes I follow Ave Maria Homilies and there has been mention of a Fr. Ignatius . Hear one of his sermons

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Jackie,

    Hey folks ... Jackie found another real Father Ignatius for us. Just as Anne has. Anymore Fr Ignatius's out there?

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.