Wednesday 29 September 2010

Moving mountains.

Father Ignatius waited for a few seconds after reading the Gospel in church on Sunday.

“Let us remind ourselves of what Mary read in the second reading today,” he said, “To have Faith is to be sure of the things we hope for, to be certain of the things we cannot see.

“There are times in life when events hit us from nowhere and our Faith takes a real knock. Bad health maybe, or loss of a job or something else and we say … why is this happening to me? I’m a good person. I go to church regularly and love God. Why does He do that to me?

“But St Paul, who is said to have written this letter to the Hebrews, is quite clear in what he says … to have Faith is to be sure and certain of what we hope for and what we cannot see.

“And he had good reason to lose Faith … he was not in good health, he’d been arrested, beaten and imprisoned many times for preaching about Jesus, he was shipwrecked and bitten by a snake. He could have said at any time … enough of this … I might as well give up and go back to making tents … which was of course his trade.

“But he didn’t give up. His Faith remained strong. He continued preaching despite all adversities.”

Father Ignatius stopped for a while then continued.

“Jesus said that if we have Faith as small as a mustard seed we can say to a mountain move and it will move … or to a mulberry tree uproot yourself and plant yourself in the sea and it will do it.

“Can you imagine that? We don’t have any mountains near us … but there’s Ben Nevis in Scotland and Mount Snowden in Wales. Can you imagine standing there at the foot of Ben Nevis and saying … hey you Ben … I command you to move over there!

“And to have so much Faith in what you have said that you know for certain it will happen? You wouldn’t be frightened of making a fool of yourself in front of everyone else! You’d shout your command out loud to the mountain knowing full well that it will obey you.”

He paused again for a while and took something out of his pocket.

“I have here a mustard seed …” he said raising his hand, “can you see it?

“Of course not … it’s so small that I can hardly see it myself …

“Suddenly, this tiny mustard seed has never seemed so big … when it comes to asking a mountain to move.”

He stopped again and put the seed back in his pocket.

“But Jesus was not exaggerating when He taught us to have Faith.

“On His way to Capernaum Christ met a Roman Centurion whose servant was very ill. He asked Our Lord to help the servant, and when Jesus made His way towards the house the Centurion said ‘Lord, I do not deserve that you come under my roof. But just say the word and my servant will be healed’

“Can you imagine the Faith of that Centurion? A Roman officer who was no doubt tasked to keep the peace and had probably persecuted Christ’s followers in his time and kept them under control … Yet, this very man had so much Faith in Jesus that he knew that one word from Him and the servant would be healed.

“Can you do that I wonder? Can you have so much Faith in God that you know for certain that He will see you through whatever crisis you are facing? Or does your Faith crumble when adversity strikes?”

He stopped yet again to punctuate his sermon and to gauge the discomfort of the congregation.

“My dear friends …” he continued, “I am no Saint …

“There are times when my Faith falters too … I am as weak as any of you and at times that mustard seed I carry is as large as Ben Nevis itself.

“God knows that … He knows the amount of Faith we have in Him and how it varies in the good and the bad times …

“And yet He loves us all the same.

“A man came to Jesus once and asked Him to heal his son ‘if you possibly can …’

“Note the hesitancy in the man’s request. He was not as certain as the Centurion … he said ‘help us if you possibly can …’

“Jesus replied, ‘If you can? Everything is possible for he who has Faith.’

“To which the man replied, ‘I do have Faith, but not enough. Help me to have more!’

“Jesus took pity on him yet admired his honesty and healed his son.

“We too dear friends … should never be afraid or ashamed when our Faith is weak to say to God in all honesty.

“I believe Lord; help my unbelief”.

12 comments:

  1. That was beautiful, I really enjoyed that, especially the ending prayer...“I believe Lord; help my unbelief”.
    I smiled when I read about when St. Paul was shipwrecked and bitten by a snake...that actually happened right here on our island of Malta!!! We are so lucky to have had St.Paul bring us the Christian Faith.
    Thanks and best regards,
    Doreen
    P.S. This morning I wrote a poem on my Whimsical Blog if you'd like to read it...there's a link to it from my Creative Space blog : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Victor. I need to think about that mustard seed often; it really puts my faith, or sometimes lack of faith in perspective. I also pray that ending prayer quite often.
    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Doreen and Karinann,

    Thanx for writing in. I suspect it is very difficult at times to keep Faith, as small as a mustard seed even, when life gets very difficult. The good news is that the Good Lord understands our weakness and forgives it.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have faith. i have the faith to believe that if i keep saying it long enough someone will sit up and listen and then another and another until enough people listen and demand that things change. the problem why our faith is so low is because our leaders in the Church are to busy acumulating riches to be concerned with little mustard seed. sad but true

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Victor

    As always, a great post! I enjoyed it very much but as well as enjoyable, it is a post that makes us think about our faith and its highs and lows.We just have to keep reminding ourselves that God supplies our lack, we only have to ask with faith.

    Thanks Victor and may God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those lines from the man about the fact that he believed, but yet he needed for Jesus to help his unbelief, have always been among my favorites in the Bible, simply because I can relate. I'm grateful that God chooses to love me anyway and to give me the faith I need for the life He's given me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another wonderful post Victor, I believe my Faith is the best of all my blessings. Be well my friend....:-)Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Victor, Sometimes life seems just too hard. My elder son Peter feels God has turned His back on him. Yet he doesn't see, all that God has done for him, only that he hasn't found his true mate yet. ..He is 42yrs.
    I think of Job, and how Satan stood before God to have him. I feel with the knowledge from this story, we also are trialed. If bad things are happening surely we should rejoice because it means we belong to God and Satan is doing his utmost to pull us away...
    Its our thoughts he preys on...
    So when this happens we need to replace the "stinkin thinkin" with Gods word and lift ourselves above the 'mure of dispair.'
    Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Gurnygob, Breadgirl, Tracy, Bernie and Crystal Mary,

    Our Faith does vary depending on our circumstances - perhaps it shouldn't, but it does. Because we're human. Peter's Faith faltered when he fell in the sea rather than walk towards Christ. It's so sad that we have a leader who can walk on water yet we're too frightened to follow Him.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry...spelling mistakes...
    There is a site you may be interested it???
    Its called www.voki.com
    You record a voice message and place it on your site..just in case you are interested??

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanx Crystal Mary. I'll try it now. God bless.

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.