Tuesday 21 January 2014

Blessed are the poor


Once upon a time there was an old man in his nineties living alone in a small cottage in the countryside. He'd farmed there all his life and now he spent the rest of his days there with a dog as old as he.

Once a week a friend visited him for a while for a chat and to help around the house. Just for fun, the old man gave his friend £1 a week to buy him a lottery ticket.

This went on for ages and the friend always checked the old man's lottery ticket for any winnings. One day to his surprise he discovered the old man won £2m.

He was both pleased and very concerned about this. If he told the old man of the winnings the shock could easily kill him.

So he went to the priest for advice and after much debate he convinced the priest that he was better placed to break the news to the old man. After all, priests are trained for all circumstances.

The priest visited the old man and after enjoying a cup of tea and biscuits he approached the subject carefully as the old man was seated down comfortably.

"Life certainly has its twists and turns" started the priest, "and you've certainly seen many in your life I should say!"

The old man nodded.

"Imagine" continued the priest, "another unexpected twist. Imagine ... say ... you won £2m in the lottery. What would you do?"

The old man smiled and said "At my age I've outlived all my relatives and I have few friends to speak of. I suppose if I won £2m I'd give it all to you."

On hearing this the priest had a heart attack and died.

And the moral of the story is:

When you're a certain age never play the lottery.

No ... that's not it.

The moral of the story is never give a priest £2m.

No ... that's not it either. I'm sure there's a moral here but I don't get it.

Sometimes it pays to know when we're already happy.

7 comments:

  1. I always have a good laugh when I read your stories, Victor. Great moral ...all three of them that is :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary,

      I'm really so glad I made you laugh. I must confess I laughed too when I read this post. It's good to laugh.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. Hi Victor! OH LORD MAN, HOW YOU MADE ME LAUGH!!! How I have missed visiting you here! I've been on a blogbreak and today I am back and SO happy to be here.
    I'm in a new blog home. Now I'm at www.ceilryan.com
    It was a big move, but I hope to love it. And I hope you'll come over and join me. We HAVE to stay connected.
    Loved this!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so great to see you visiting here again Ceil. Happy New Year to you and yours and welcome back to Blogging. I'll visit you as soon as the next bus arrives - can't afford a taxi just now.

      God bless.

      Delete
    2. Ceil I'm having difficulties getting to your blog www.ceilryan.com Have you blocked it from your end and it stops people getting to it. I've reported it to my service provider at my end. I also tried evangelise with me and it's blocked also. I get some error message stopping me getting to either blog.

      I managed to get to your profile page on Blogger but did not find an e-mail address to write to you. I tried evangelise with me from there too and it's blocked.

      God bless.

      Delete
    3. Hmm. I do have an automatic forward on for anyone who tries to go to the old blog home. I'm so sorry for the problem you are having. I did get one comment from you, so has this problem resolved?
      I hope it has. You have the blog address correct...

      Delete
    4. Hi Ceil,

      Yes ... got there at last. I like your new Blog.

      God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.