Sunday 3 April 2016

Idle Time Joined up Thoughts and a Delightful Surprise Discovery.


ARTICLE ORIGINALLY POSTED HERE IN 2009

Today I had nothing to do.

I had to drive someone to a far off city and then when we got there I had to wait all day to take the person back home in the evening.

So I wandered around the new city for a while then sat down on a bench watching the world go by.

It was a warm sunny day with a slight fresh breeze every now and then.

Workers hurried to their offices and their places of work. Shoppers busied themselves in and out of shops searching for bargains. Not much buying going on judging from the absence of branded bags being carried around advertising the many outlets. A constant flow of traffic passing to and fro added to the daily routine – with several cars blaring their radios at full blast for the world to enjoy their taste in noise.

I just sat there on that bench watching them all getting on with their lives. I decided not to buy a newspaper and get down-hearted at the latest bad news.

Instead, I did nothing – or more accurately I did something. My thoughts wandered towards all these people.

No doubt each having plans for their lives, their families and loved ones. Each having hopes, doubts and fears about the twists and turns that life sometimes throws at you. And in my meandering thoughts I found myself praying for them, and hoping all goes well in their lives.

And now for the delightful surprise discovery in the title of today’s Blog.

As I walked down the street I noted there on the wall of a building a framed picture of Jesus of the Divine Mercy. You know the one I mean. The image painted under the direction of Blessed Faustina with the inscription “Jesus, I trust in You!”

The framed picture was in a box with a glass front on the wall of a non-descript building. It was not a church or other religious building, not an office or even a house. Just an ordinary building.

What surprised me though is that it is very unusual in the UK to have religious images, crucifixes or pictures on buildings. The fact that it had not been defaced, scribbled on with graffiti or even broken was even more surprising.

Praise the Lord.

10 comments:

  1. A pretty productive do-nothing-day! Have a grand day today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reposting this Victor. As I was reading the intro, I remember reading once that on the day Jesus was crucified, most people were off doing all of their daily routines just like those in this post. Hard to imagine, right? God Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right, Michael. I had time to spare that day and sat there on a bench watching people doing their daily routines. So, somehow, I felt I'd pray for them.

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. Hi Victor! Happy Divine Mercy Sunday to you and yours my friend!
    I read your response to Michael, and I thought it was really beautiful that your 'down time' was really so prayerful.
    I know I'll never understand the true power of Love, of Mercy. But I know I pray for it, and hope I can be a reflection of it in some way.
    This was a great post to read on this Holy day!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ceil for your kind words.

      I remember that day well. My job was to drive a relative to that city and bring them back. In between time, I first went to a coffee bar for a cup of tea, and eventually just sat there on a bench watching people go by. Don't know why, but I found myself praying for them.

      God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  4. God's little gifts to remind us---HE IS HERE!
    Blessings, Friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's not the original image of the Divine Mercy painting you posted. If your readers want to see the original picture Sister Faustina commissioned and my art analysis of it, come to my blog post:
    http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/2016/04/art-divine-mercy-painting-by-eugeniusz.html

    Still, what a wonderful surprise to see an image of Jesus up on a building. Especially in UK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right, Manny. It was an ordinary building. Not a church or a religious building, or a house or office. Normally offices have a sign outside. I know some countries do have statues and religious photos in streets and on buildings - E.g. Malta. But this was a rare sight in the UK.

      God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.