Monday 18 March 2019

What's Your Attitude?


I don't know if it's my imagination, but a lot of people are going around these days with a face as if they have a permanent bad smell under their nose.

I know it is not possible to be always happy and cheerful and go along singing and shouting "Praise the Lord!". But some people I know seem to be permanently gloomy as if they're carrying the world's garbage on their shoulders. I accept that at times we all have our bad hair day, the days when things aren't as they should be; that's natural and to be expected. But let's not make a habit of always looking like a mouldy ten year old sandwich in a caffeteria.

Imagine a party, or a barbeque, where everyone is happy and chatty, and the food and drink are perfect, and the weather is wonderful, and the music is playing, and ... one sour faced person looking as if they have just tasted a vinaigrette gateau - if there is such a thing. And if there isn't, then there should be to help me make my point.

That person's attitude will spoil the whole event for everyone. People will remember their face, their behaviour, their demeanour for years to come. If any one is taking photos then that will be permanently recorded for posteriority too. (I know there is no such word - I've just made it up to add effect to my writing).

So let's look in the mirror more often and watch our attitude. Is the person looking back at us the sort of person we'd like to meet? Does he or she make us happy?

Even if it is difficult, which I accept it sometimes is for some, let's make an effort to break a smile. I said break a smile; not break wind. That's an all together different story for another day.

Let's smile more often. If not for us, then for others. A smile every now and then makes someone else happy. Let's tickle ourselves to make ourselves smile. I always carry a feather in my trouser pocket for such a purpose.

Let's watch our attitude.

The other day the postman dropped his hat accidentally and my dog rushed upon it and tore it to pieces. The postman complained to me saying "Your dog chewed my hat!"

I remembered my attitude and smiled broadly.

He said, "I don't like your attitude!"

I replied "It's not my 'at he chewed. It's your 'at he chewed!"

Keep smiling.

28 comments:


  1. "I accept that at times we all have our bad hair day..."

    I like that!


    Break a smile, not wind.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep smiling my friend, despite your bad hair day.

      God bless you always, Sandi.

      Delete
  2. Hello, great inspiring post. We should all smile more! Enjoy your day, have a happy week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice to see you visiting me here, Eileen. Thank you. We hope you visit again soon.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  3. Yep, been working on my attitude, after all I LOVE a good laugh greatly!
    Blessings, My Friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to laugh, Lulu. That's what my Blog is for.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  4. Keeping my smile on today, Victor, and this post certainly helped me do just that.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smiling is infectious and makes other people happy.

      God bless you, Martha.

      Delete
  5. Thanks to you, Victor, I'm smiling!
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to see you smiling, Chris.

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  6. A smile is always good for the face :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it is, Bill. We should all do it more often.

      God bless you my friend.

      Delete
  7. Sometimes we lose our smile and finding it again isn't always as easy as lifting the corners of our mouths...but thank you for trying to share positive attitude here and smiles Victor 💮

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Jan. There are times when we cannot possibly smile. But praying earnestly to God helps bring us comfort in our darkest hour. Also, sharing prayers with others.

      I read somewhere that sharing a problem with someone halves it. So I tell God my problems twice.

      God bless you always, Jan.

      Delete
  8. I agree with you!! Smile!! Change someone's day... it might even change your own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are sure right with this Terri.

      God bless you and yours always.

      Delete
  9. The lyricist had it right, "... just put on a happy face."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed he was right, Mevely. Too many sad faces these days, I fear.

      God bless you, Mevely.

      Delete
  10. Victor I am surely smiling...one love your post and two getting to meet another brother in Christ. Thanks for stopping to visit me. Have a super day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Debbie,

      Thank you so much for visiting me here today. Much appreciated. Please call again soon and often.

      This Blog is mostly a Christian one, with humourous posts every now and then. I hope you like it.

      God bless.

      Delete
  11. Well, the postman just needed a different POV.

    Just smiling at someone else changes them, and me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smiling helps make a happier world.

      God bless you, Susan.

      Delete
  12. A thankful person is a happy person. It is very hard to be mad or complaining when you are being thankful. And everyone has something to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. We all have something to be thankful for instead of moaning.

      God bless you, Happyone.

      Delete
  13. I try to stay cheerful, but the one thing that chaffs my butt is when I am minding my own business, not unhappy, but perhaps sullen looking, and someone comes up to me and says, "smile , it can't be that bad!" I'd like to just say, "F*ck you, how do you know?" Instead I just ignore them...I'm nice like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually JoeH, there is a danger in being always cheerful because other people will suspect you are hiding something. It's good to be grumpy or cranky. You become a role model to emulate or not to copy.

      God bless you my smiling friend.

      Delete
  14. A smile can and does work wonders …

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.