Tuesday 16 April 2019

For whom the cock crows


Sunday Mass was over and everyone had left. Father Ignatius was clearing up in the Sacristy when Arthur, a young Altar Boy, came in sheepishly.

“Are you still here?” asked the priest.

“Yes Father … can I ask you something please?” replied the young teenager.

“Fire away …” encouraged the priest as he sat down.

“I think I committed a sin yesterday … and I took Communion today.”

“You think … are you not sure? What did you do?” asked Father Ignatius gently.

“I was at the Karate Club yesterday. I go every Saturday. During break some of the boys were talking about Jesus and they were mocking and laughing. They were telling jokes about Him and saying bad things!”

“I see … and what did you do?”

“That’s it …” hesitated the young lad, “I did nothing. I didn’t want to tell them about Jesus in case they laughed at me. I just kept quiet and smiled.”

“I understand …” said Father Ignatius pausing slightly, “have you told Peter about this?”

“Peter Marsden?”

“No … not Peter Marsden! Who is he anyway?” asked the priest frowning a little.

“He is our Karate Instructor … we call him Sensei …” replied young Arthur.

Father Ignatius smiled.

“I meant St Peter …” he continued, “you know him? We have a large statue of him at the back of the church.”

The boy nodded.

“What do you know about him?”

“He was a disciple of Jesus,” said Arthur.

“That’s right … and like you he was a little hesitant when asked about Jesus. When Jesus was arrested Peter denied knowing Him three times. And then the cock crew and reminded Peter of what Jesus had said … do you know the story?” asked Father Ignatius.

Arthur nodded again.

“The important thing to remember Arthur,” continued Father Ignatius gently, “is that Peter was sorry at what he had done; and Jesus forgave him. And Peter went on to become head of the Church.

“I quite understand that you felt a little intimidated yesterday. Jesus understands it too, and He forgives you just as He forgave Peter.

“But remember this Arthur … as you grow up there will be other occasions when you’ll be faced with the same situation. People will mock Jesus, God or your religion. This is the way of the world I’m afraid. Jesus has many enemies in this world, despite all He has done for us.

“It’s at those times when I pray and hope that you’ll have the courage to stand up for Jesus and for your beliefs.

“What happened yesterday is understandable in the life of someone so young as yourself.

“The sad tragedy Arthur is that grown-ups often deny knowing and loving Jesus for fear of what others might say. In a free society as we enjoy these days, compared to the times of Peter, grown-ups still shy away from knowing and loving the Lord. They keep their heads down in embarrassment.”

Father Ignatius looked at the child in the eye and asked.

“You’re learning Karate you say?”

Arthur nodded.

“Good …” said the priest, “that’s a defensive martial art. Isn’t it?

“You should remember always to defend the Lord, Arthur. Not with your fighting skills, but with your wisdom, your pure soul and by the way you live.

“The Good Lord will help you to know what to say and when to say it.

“You’re the Karate Altar Boy … defending the Lord with your soul!”

Arthur smiled broadly.

“Now you’d better hurry home before your parents start worrying about you.”

As the young boy turned to leave Father Ignatius added, “and don’t forget to pray for me … I need prayers too you know!”

18 comments:

  1. I like how Father Ignatius is leading us into Holy Week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy. I'm pleased you enjoy my Father Ignatius stories.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. Have we not all denied Him at some point? Thankful He is a merciful God!
    Blessings, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I suspect many people have, Lulu.

      God bless you my friend.

      Delete
  3. Hmm, not sure I deny, but sometimes I could be called Thomas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doubt makes us question. Sometimes this is good. If it were not for Thomas and his doubting, Christ would not perhaps appeared again specifically for him to believe. So, in a way, Thomas did Christianity a great favour. Without him a vital piece of evidence would have been lost.

      God bless you, JoeH.

      Delete
  4. Fr. Ignatius' wonderful wisdom strikes again! Thank you for this inspiring story, Victor.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha for your encouragement and support. This story will feature in my next book being edited right now, (rather slowly).

      God bless.

      Delete
  5. Fr. Ignatius knows humans like a book. We aren't perfect and weren't meant to be but we should stand up for what we believe in no matter what anyone else thinks or says.
    Thank you, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right about having the courage to stand up for what we believe, Bill. Fr Ignatius is based on a number of priests I was fortunate to meet over the years.

      God bless you, Bill.

      Delete
  6. Is this, then, a sin of omission? The last year I worked, one of my bosses poked fun of those who observe Holy Week. In spite of her upbringing in the Catholic church, K. remarked about Easter, "How odd, so many people still believe in ghosts." I was highly offended, but remained silent. Guess this makes me no better than Peter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your honesty, Mevely. Yes, you remained silent. And in your position many would have done the same. God understands that and forgives you. K was your boss; and you could have jeopardised your job if you spoke out; or insisted on not working on Holy Week.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  7. I am so happy God does't give up on us when we stumble. He always forgives. We certainly aren't perfect, but we are forgiven. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Happyone. God understands and forgives.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  8. That has been my difficulty throughout my life: being bold enough to proclaim Jesus.
    Karate altar boy. good title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We proclaim Him by the way we live, Susan. Pray that He may teach you what to say, and when to say it. There are times when remaining silent is the right answer.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  9. We live the best way we can … but sometimes circumstances dictate that it may be better to remain silent, until the time is better.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Jan. At times it is better to say nothing. We do not serve God well if we go around like parrots repeating well rehearsed phrases. Our actions and the way we live can speak louder than any words.

      God bless you.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.