Saturday 19 June 2021

How useless are you?

 

Some time ago I was talking to someone about my Christian books. He raised the subject having seen one of my books lying around. He was not particularly impressed. He thought I was wasting my time bearing in mind how little Royalties I got per book. 

I explained that I was not writing the books to make money. He asked, "why write them?"

I said, "Maybe, someone somewhere reading what I write may well be interested in finding out more about God, or Jesus. Perhaps that person may join a church ... you know, first steps ..."

My friend said nothing. I could see he was not convinced but was being polite.

I said, "We can all do our bit to witness for God. It doesn't have to be writing books, or knocking at doors, or standing in street corners preaching or handing out leaflets."

"I'm totally useless at this sort of thing!" he mumbled.

This set me thinking. I guess God likes useless people. Faulty people. Let's see how many I can think of.

Peter ... he always talked first but when it came to the important part, he denied knowing Christ.

Thomas ... he doubted the Resurrection took place. Despite witnessing many miracles performed by Christ.

Matthew ... a thieving tax collector.

Paul ... a killer persecuting the early Christians.

Moses ... a stammerer too shy and afraid to go and ask a king to release the Jews from captivity. 

Jonah ... stubborn and disobeys God.

Can you think of any others? How about you and me? I am hardly perfect. I sometimes wonder why I got started in all this Christian writing. Maybe one day, back in 2007, I had nothing to do and I started writing "VISIONS". 

The rest is history.

I sometimes think of all the people I have met over the years through the Internet. People who Blog and who visit this Blog of mine. I think of them as I pray. For them and for you.

There's some very interesting people out there. With interesting Blogs and interesting subjects that you talk about. People whom I'd like to meet in real life. The problem with all of you is that you live too far away.

But we all have one thing in common.

The opportunity to witness for God. We don't have to be theologically well educated. We don't have to be priests, pastors, vicars, preachers or whatever. 

I am none of these. Just a nobody, (or so I'm told).

All we have to do is, every now and then, write something from our own experience explaining what God means to us, how Jesus helped us, and how our lives have been enriched as a result.

We never know who visits our blogs and does not comment. Perhaps one person would be inspired by what you write.

You don't have to be useless to witness for God. Be as you are.

27 comments:

  1. ...we are all different and view things differently. When I am on my knees in my garden, tending to my plants and listening to the birds I feel closer to God than in church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a wonderful post. Yes God will use all of us. We all have a different calling. He gave us all a gift. We have to keep our eyes on him and listen.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa. It is nice to see you visiting here. Please call again soon.

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. Be as you are.....I need to remember this. Thank YOU for writing this post. I am inspired. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we all have a gift to offer, Angie. Just as we are.

      Thank you for your visit. We hope to see you again soon. God bless.

      Delete
  4. The Bible is definitely full of characters who are far less than perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the Bible was written now, would we feature in it?

      God bless, Kathy.

      Delete
  5. Dearest Victor,
    So true and there are more people visiting in 'stealth mode' but nevertheless, the message is out there—for them and all, to be read, pondered about and only God knows how far the ripple effect will go!
    Nobody is perfect, I'm not and not even trying to be...!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Mariette, let us hope that some people visit without making a comment and they get to know about God.

      God bless.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful testimony, Victor! Now I'm humming, "Just as I am, without one plea (but that Thy blood was shed for me ....)" Thank you for your prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad we met on the Internet, Mevely. If we were nearer I'd pop round for a cup of ... Guinness.

      God bless always my friend.

      Delete
  7. Hi Victor,
    I always think of God as the Master chess player, and we (the body of Christ on earth) are the pieces that He moves around to win the game. God loves all and wants all to be saved. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said, Brenda. I so agree.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  8. God can use ANYONE!! God as given all who believe a talent that we should use to further His Word and like you said there are so many ways for us to do that.
    Thank you for your blog - I'm sure some have found their way to Jesus through you and you will meet them in heaven!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes God can use anyone to help spread His Word. Thank you for your kindness, Happyone. If only one person has benefited then my writings are worth it.

      God bless.

      Delete
  9. God leads us to where we need to be. I enjoy your blog, you bring up or remind us of important lessons that we should always be aware of. I thank you for that, Victor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind my friend. Thank you so much for your continued support and friendship.

      God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  10. God can certainly use all of us as witnesses to Him no matter what our gifts might be. Yes, we might feel as if our efforts are useless, but they truly aren't. They never are when we are doing anything that promotes God's kingdom.
    Blessings, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Martha, we can promote God's Kingdom by the way we live. A kindness here or there, or even just a smile.

      God bless you and your family.

      Delete
  11. Well said! A song i hear on the Christian radio station here says, "Moses had stage fright, David took a rock to a sword fight, and Jesus picked 12 outsiders nobody would have chosen and He changed the world." If you want to look up the song on Youtube, it's called "Nobody" by Casting Crowns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good lyrics, Mimi. Singing is yet another way of witnessing for our Lord.

      God bless you always, Mimi.

      Delete
  12. Victor, thank you for the reminder that God has gifted and shaped us to reflect the truth of His love. And each of us shares that grace in our own unique ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice to see you visiting here again, Linda. Thank you so much. I so agree with your comment.

      God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.