Friday 12 November 2021

Facts, Truth and Lies


I wanted a good photo to attract your attention. So ... what do you think? Truth? Facts? Or lies? Or even perhaps distorted facts?

You see, sometimes we cannot believe our eyes. We see something and it's imprinted on our minds; and later on perhaps we have to tell the police or the authorities what we saw and our minds are all confused. Did we see it as we think we saw it or is our mind playing tricks on us? 

So why did these women attend church naked?

Here is the original photo:
Aha ... now it makes sense. The photo was true. It was a fact. These women did go to church just as you see them. But your mind decided to think something else and it distorted the facts into lies.

And that's the problem these days with newspapers, magazines and social media; with everyone able to go on the Internet and write what they want and it is accepted by others as the truth and it is repeated and perpetrated as such and before you know it everyone believes it. 
 
This is how people are influenced. This is how conspiracy theories start and proliferate. This is how confusion occurs. This is how people can be fooled into parting with their monies hoping for a get rich quick scheme, or a new miraculous diet to lose weight, or a cure against baldness, flatulence or stupidity.

It's everywhere! People not telling you the real truth because, as Jack Nicholson said, "you can't handle the truth!" Or as Pontius the Pirate said, "What is truth?"

I often thumb through the local paper to see what's happened locally and to check whether I really care.

The other day I saw a small advert for a local handyman who would come round and do jobs that need doing in your house. The advert said: "No job is too small!" claiming that the man would do anything.

I rang him and said, "The toilet paper roll needs changing. I don't know how to do it. Can you do it for me?"

He declined. The job was too small for him to bother. His advert was lying.

Did you know that the mole ... those little creatures that hide underground ... the mole can smell in stereo. That's what it said on TV. Apparently they can pin-point where the bad smell comes from in an elevator and say, "You did it!" So be careful if you're in an elevator with a mole.

One of the faucets in our bathroom was dripping. The plumber called and said it could not be fixed. I don't know whether that's true or whether he was fooling me into doing a bigger job than just fixing it. 
 
He suggested I change the faucet; but because it would look different from the other one, he suggested we change both faucets. And because they would look different from the faucets in the wash-basin, he suggested we change those too, so we would have four matching new faucets.

I did not know whether to agree his suggestions or to tell him to shove the faulty faucet somewhere on his anatomy.

When he finished the job he then asked me, "would you like to keep the old faucets?"

"Yeah ... of course," I said, "I'll have them framed and hung over the mantle piece. They will be a good conversation starter at our next party. I'll be able to tell everyone what a thieving ******* you are!"

And whilst I'm thinking about it, here's another example of misinterpretation of the facts. I was at the pharmacist the other day to pick up some medicines and I happened to mention I was a little tired. "You need a foot-spa!" he said.

I'd never heard about this and asked him what it was. He showed me one. It is in effect a small plastic basin which you fill with water and then you plug it in the electric mains to warm the water, and then you put your feet in to relax them after a long day at work.

Well, I may look stupid, but even I remember from my science lessons at school that water and electricity do not mix, and putting your feet in that basin would not be a good idea.

And finally, here is another utter lie I saw printed on the side of a QUICK-COOK RICE packet. It said, "take one sachet from the packet and stand in boiling water for 5 minutes".

I did it and got my feet burnt.

And also, really finally, apparently even today in the 21st Century, when science has proved certain things beyond a shadow of a doubt, there are people that would have you believe that the earth is actually flat. I wonder, do the Flat Earth Society people have branches all over the globe?

And also, really really finally, I am not lying to you this time ... really really finally ... apparently I read in the papers that in the UK 13% of babies are conceived in an IKEA bed. I find this difficult to believe; especially since those shops are normally well lit.

Also ... really really really finally, did you know that if you come face-to-face with a gorilla and you suddenly hide behind a tree it will forget ever seeing you. It's out of sight out of mind. This is really true, the gorilla sitting next to me just told me!
 
I bet you don't believe me!

31 comments:

  1. Hi Victor,
    I believe absolutely that many things portrayed, whether on the media or in conversations, are not true. I often say to my husband when he comments on something on the news 'You never see the whole picture.', and give him five or six opinions of what the actual full story could be. Only God knows the whole truth, He sees both the inside and the outside while we see only the 'outside'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. I guess some people deliberately do not give the full picture.

      God bless, Brenda.

      Delete
  2. ...all three are intertwined these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Things are definitely not what they appear to be these days, Victor, and there are too many folks running around out there who promote ideas and theories that simply aren't true. I'm happy you could express that sentiment in such a humorous way.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My fear is that a lot of vulnerable, perhaps naive, people believe all they read and hear on social media and TV. Uninformed people making uninformed decisions.

      God bless, Martha.


      Delete
  4. It's possible to find 'facts' to support any viewpoint nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That photo makes me very uncomfortable.

    "I wonder, do the Flat Earth Society people have branches all over the globe?"

    Call me crazy, but I kind of hope we are on a slab perched on a stack of turtles all the way down. I like a little excitement and surrealism. 😃

    (Have you heard this stack of turtles idea? If not, I do sound crazy!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photo is genuine, Sandi.

      I've never heard of the turtle idea. I think the world is square - like a cube. It became roundish because of the friction caused by it spinning round so fast - over 1000 miles an hour at the equator.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  6. Truth be told...... You did. ;-) Thanks again for the entertainment, good story, especially the plumber!

    Sherry & jack over in Florida USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray ... you've reached Florida. I hope they have better plumbers over there.

      God bless you and Sherry. Happy Holidays.

      Delete
  7. Lies are everywhere, people don't like to hear the truth, it scares them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, the truth can be frightening, Bill.

      God bless.

      Delete
  8. Dearest Victor,
    Well, if we are not careful we will get a leg pulled several times a day... we not even have enough legs to last through the week. Not being a centipede makes us extremely vulnerable!
    But so far we've managed to escape most con-men with dubious promises...
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you say is correct, Mariette.

      Did you know that if a centipede is attacked it detaches some of its legs and throws them at his attacker? That way the attacker stops to eat the leg and the centipede runs away and hides. It's true, I tell you. The sad thing is that when the centipede returns to retrieve his lost shoes and socks he gets eaten anyway.

      God bless.

      Delete
  9. I've seen that picture before. It's good to have all the facts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Victor, I am sorry I missed your blog for the last week or so, but my email was messed up and I wasn’t receiving my mail. This post is so in tune with the times nothing is as it seems. I had a very nice chuckle over standing in boiling water. Thank you. God bless you, Victor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We missed your visits, Nells. I did not know whether to write to check you're OK. I thought you might think I'm imposing. Sorry to hear you had e-mails problems.

      Please copy this in your favourites folder and visit us when you like:
      https://timeforreflections.blogspot.com/

      God bless you.

      Delete
    2. Having someone check on me could never be an imposition. Thanks for the thought. 😊

      Delete
  11. Funny photo ... and a great point. I truly think the mainstream media is to blame for deliberate mis-information. And, as you know, there's many who still have an appetite for yellow journalism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sad thing, Mevely, is that we have created a new generation of gullible people who believe all they see and read on social media websites. Anyone can write an article on any subject and he will find people believe it.

      For example, I have proof that gorillas can communicate with us. How else did I write this post?

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  12. I think gorillas are smarter than that. I know someone who believes in a few conspiracies. We rarely talk anymore. Did you know there are people out there who actually believe Australia is a myth and doesn't exist?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many conspiracy theories. People will always believe what they want to believe.

      God bless, River.

      Delete
  13. Somehow i missed this post when you put it up the other day, i am guessing it got overlooked or my reader just didn't show it.

    A very wise police officer once told me that in domestic disputes, there are always 3 sides to the story, his side, her side, and the truth. We all see through our own lens of experience and our ideas, so sometimes we just don't see things the right way. It's why in the scripture one law was not to convict a person on the testimony of only one witness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. In any dispute the truth is the first casualty.

      God bless, Mimi.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.