Sunday 9 September 2018

At Heaven's Gate




One day I died and went straight to Heaven where I was met by St Peter at the Gates.

“Ah … you’ve arrived!” he said looking at his electronic notepad, “it says here that you claimed to have a sense of humour when alive … let’s test that shall we?

“Tell me a joke … make me laugh and I’ll let you in!”

I was astounded at his attitude on such a solemn occasion; I stumbled to find the right thing to say.

“Ah … not so funny now, are you?” continued the Saint.

“But … ehm …” I mumbled sensing my throat getting drier with nervousness.    

“So … what will it be? A funny joke … or will you go straight down without a parachute?” chuckled St Peter through his thick beard.

“You’ve just laughed … a little …” I pointed out sheepishly, but not without a modicum of forlorn hope, “surely that counts as a joke!”

“That’s true …” replied St Peter, “you’ve always been ridiculous to look at anyway … so I’ll let you in.”

I smiled, wiping the cold sweat from my brow.

“Not so fast … not so fast …” said St Peter standing at the doorway blocking my view of who was already there. “I need to check a few things first to see whether you need to spend some time at the Purification Center.”

“Purification Center?” I asked.

“Yes …” he replied with a chuckle, “you Catholics call it Purgatory. It’s like a car-wash to make sure everyone who enters here is cleansed.”

I gulped and waited as he tapped furiously on his electronic notepad. It bleeped once or twice and then he said.

“I see that a few years ago you prayed an indulgence to St Victor; your namesake. I remember he was quite pleased about it at the time. Not many people tend to mention him in prayers and for weeks he went around with a big smile on his face. Normally people pray to the more popular Saints … First Division Saints, you know.

“It works both ways I suppose. It’s nice to get so many prayers and requests; but quite honestly I get so many that I hardly have time to read them all.

“Anyway … for your indulgence to St Victor you get one week off from the Purification Center.”

I smiled silently.

“What’s this I see … you also started another indulgence to some obscure Saint I’ve never met. This place is so large it’s just full of Saints. You can hardly walk a few yards without bumping into one. But I’ve never met this one.”

I tried to remember that particular indulgence but couldn’t.

“That’s a pity …” said St Peter, “you never finished the indulgence. So it doesn’t count. In fact I’ll have to add two extra weeks in the Purification Center.”

I began to despair when the telephone in the little guard-house by Heaven’s Gate rang. He answered it and then said.

“Hmmm … it looks like you have friends in high places here. I’ve been asked to let you in.”

I smiled and moved forwards a few feet; but he blocked my way yet again.

“You’ll have to get changed first.” he said, “Go behind that curtain and put this white gown on … we all wear them here!”

“But …” I hesitated gaining a little confidence, “this looks very much like the gowns they give you in hospital … it is all open at the back!”

“That’s right …” he replied, “it is exactly the same gown. As I said, we all wear them here … just don’t stand too close to a hot radiator, and watch out when you sit on a cold park bench! It's either that, or you can wear it back to front, if you like!” then he chuckled very loudly once again.

He saw my hesitation and then continued in a much gentler voice with as serious a face as he could muster.  

“We like people to be helpful to each other here in Heaven; it’s not a selfish place you know. When you wear this gown, go around and find someone who is very handy with a thread and needle and ask them to sew it up at the back. That’s what everybody does. Help each other.

“In time, you’ll learn to sew and then you too will be able to help newcomers.

“Also, this gown will teach you humility. You’ll be able to swallow your pride and ask others for help. You’ve always been a bit proud and a little independent … Now’s the time to learn how to rely on other people and to accept their offer of help. Oh … and be grateful too when they help you. Don’t forget to say: Thank you!”

“I will … I will …” I replied timidly.

“Remember” he said, “this gown open at the back will teach you to help one another, will give you humility, make you accept people’s offer of help, and remind you to say Thank you! You’ll also learn how to sew, and of course how not to stand too close to a hot radiator!”

He laughed heartily once again and then said, “So, what will it be? Will you wear the gown or are you going down with no parachute?”

I grasped the gown from his hands and woke up in a cold sweat clutching the bedcovers tightly in my hands.

I must stop having cheese and whisky before bedtime!

16 comments:

  1. Ha , excellent and I agree with Christine lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing what one dreams these days.

      God bless you, Laurie.

      Delete
  2. You have an amazing mind Victor...hospital gown robes! I would have never thought of that :)
    Let's see...if one goes to heaven, hopefully, they had better not be to shy to ask for help as I am or they may catch a draft and have an eternal cold in heaven...or I could ask St. Peter for a "super duper XL robe" and a rope to tie it shut with!

    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it right, Jan. In Heaven we'll all have those hospital robes, so you'd better get good at sewing. No ropes available for anyone. The idea is that we help each other. In fact ... why not help each other right now? Why wait till we get to Heaven? By helping each other now we'll certainly be welcomed in Heaven.

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. Why does it not surprise me that St. Peter has such a great sense of humor? Lol! Yes, Victor, watch out for that cheese and whiskey before bedtime.
    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was it a dream? Was it a message? Or was it just the product of whisky and cheese?

      God bless you, Martha.

      Delete
  4. Cheese and whiskey! Oh my!! Blessing to you, Victor, on this Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute way of imparting a GREAT lesson, Victor. I've always been reluctant to ask for help, and never learned to sew … YIKES. I'd better start cramming for my finals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mevely. We don't often ask for help; or indeed give help.

      My hidden message was that perhaps we should help each other now, rather than wait to get to Heaven.

      God bless you, my friend.

      Delete
  6. I can sew, so that helps. :) I always found it had to ask for help but had no problem helping people. Maybe we feel like failures when asking for help because we want to do it alone. In reality we always need help and we are never alone.
    Nice post Victor, enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Bill. You can sew ... that guarantees you a place in Heaven. You have no problem helping people ... that's even better. St peter will love you, my friend.

      Happy day. God bless you.

      Delete
  7. Good lesson.
    And I'll have to remember to stay away from cheese & whiskey. :}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right, Chris. They say cheese does make one have interesting dreams.

      God bless you.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.