Monday 8 October 2018

Samaritan Sam


Once upon a time an elderly man was making his way home through the park after a long day at work. Some youths set upon him. They were carrying knives. They mugged him, injured him badly and left him lying in a pool of blood.

A while later a city gent happened to pass by. He looked at the bleeding man on the ground and thought: This may be a trap. If I stop to help him someone might come out from the bushes and attack me. I'd better hurry home.

And so he did.

A few moments later another man happened to come along. He saw the elderly man on the ground and thought: I'd better pretend not to have seen him. If I stop and call the police and ambulance they will ask me a lot of questions. They will want a lot of information. I'll be a witness and I'll probably have to go to Court eventually to say what I saw. I really can't be bothered with all this. I'd better rush home.

And so he did.

A few minutes later a learned man came by. He had studied sociology, philosophy, and many other important subjects and he was now a famous professor at the local University whose opinion and views were often sought on matters of importance. He looked at the injured man on the ground and thought: Whoever did this needs help. They must be from an under-priviledged background and up-bringing. Poor souls!

And he hurried home thinking about modern society and decided to write a paper on crime and poverty.

Moral of the story: What a mess we made of this world in the 21st Century.


THIS AND OTHER SIMILAR STORIES CAN BE FOUND IN
MORE REFLECTIONS FOR THE SOUL


23 comments:

  1. AMEN!!! Have nothing to add to that poignant story!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sad state of affairs Lulu.

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Indeed it is, Christine.

      Let us pray for a change. God bless.

      Delete
  3. This stuff happens more than some people think.. Yes I agree Christine, Society is a mess,and it is only getting worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We must hold on to hope, Renee, and pray.

      God bless.

      Delete
  4. The story of the Good Samaritan for 2018. Lord have mercy and give us compassion ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly compassion is in short supply right now.

      God bless, Linda.

      Delete
  5. Yes, we have made a mess of things, haven't we, Victor? Your retelling of the Good Samaritan story reflects that perfectly. Let's resolve to never let the snares of this world prevent us from being the hands and feet of Jesus to those in need.
    Blessings, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read somewhere, Martha, that evil is the lack of empathy. Ans that's what's happening in the world, sadly.

      God bless.

      Delete
    2. Evil described as the lack of empathy is brilliant. Jesus teaches love and compassion, and definitely empathy. We must love God and our neighbors at all cost.
      Blessings!

      Delete
    3. It's true, Martha. Jesus showed empathy every time He met someone in need.

      God bless you, my friend.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful video, Victor! Lord, forgive us our thoughts and (mis)deeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen. We all need some forgiveness, Mevely.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  7. Yes, a lot of people won't help but there are so many who I think would stop and help someone. I'd like to think so anyway. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes it seems as if we are circling the drain...
    You are so right, Victor. We must hold on to hope and pray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad, Chris. But we must hold on to the belief that God is still in control.

      God bless.

      Delete
  9. Great job of bringing the parable into the modern world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’d must check with you here. Which isn't something I usually do! I take pleasure in studying a publish that will make individuals think. Also, thanks for permitting me to remark! slots for real money

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.