Sunday 21 October 2018

Who is Jesus?



Recently I attended  a Christian group meeting. The discussion centred on the question: "If you were stopped in the street by those opinion polls people and you were asked 'Who is Jesus?' what would you say?"

Surprisingly, people were hesitant to say outright that He is the Son of God. They hesitated. Even though we in the UK are in a supposedly Christian country. Even though right now people in other countries are being persecuted and killed for being Christians. The group hesitated. They felt they would admit in private to other Christians that they believed Jesus is the Son of God; but would not necessarily say so publicly in the street, or at work with colleagues, in the pub or whatever.

They were asked, "if your children, who believe what you say, asked 'Who is Jesus?' what would you say?"

Again, there was hesitation from most of the group.

In an ever secular country, it seems Christians are a little reluctant to profess their belief in Jesus. It seems as if they are ashamed to admit publicly, to non-Christians, the existence of God and His Son, Jesus.

They say instead that He is a wise teacher, a philosopher, a great healer.

It is said you can judge a person by what they say and do. So let's examine what Jesus said and did.

Time and again He taught His listeners to, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength and love your neighbour as you love yourself. There is no other commandment more important than these two.” Mark 12: 28-31. So He re-affirms, clearly, that there is only one God and our duty, and responsibility, is to love Him and to love all other people. 

On another occasion He taught His followers how to pray to their God, whom He calls their Father. And He assures them that their living Father God is listening to their prayers regardless where and how they pray. They do not need to make a public show of it. 

Often He taught about forgiveness and the duty to love everyone, including our enemies.

Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, if my brother keeps sinning against me, how many times do I have to forgive him? Seven times?” “No, not seven times,” answered Jesus, “but seventy times seven.” Matthew 18: 21-22

"Do not judge others, so that God will not judge you, for God will judge you in the same way as you judge others, and He will apply to you the same rules you apply to others." Matthew 7: 1-2

"Do not take revenge on someone who wrongs you. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, let him slap your left cheek too." Matthew 5: 39

His actions throughout His life seem to mirror what He taught and preached in that He showed love and caring for the people He met by healing them, consoling them, feeding them, and often raising some of them from the dead. 

Always it was on a one-to-one basis, like He taught us to relate to God His Father. 

When the crowds came to Him He could have just clicked His fingers and all who needed healing would be healed. But He did not do that. He treated each individual case personally. He touched the deaf man's ears, He put His hands on the blind man's eyes, He let the old lady touch His cloak, He went to Jairus' daughter as well as to Lazarus' tomb. And all these, as well as many others, were healed or raised from the dead.

He claimed time and again that He was the Son of God. A claim which led to His cruel death on the Cross. His Father in Heaven confirmed this claim on at least two occasions. At Christ's Baptism and at the Transfiguration. And of course, by raising Him again from the dead.

So ... the question is asked again.

Who do you think Jesus is?

What would you say publicly if asked this question?

20 comments:

  1. My Savior
    The Son of God
    The Jewish Messiah

    From John 10:10...I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.



    ReplyDelete
  2. If asked publicly, I don't really know how I would respond. Why should the public care about my answer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe, Bill, that Jesus would want us to stand up for Him.

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. Great poser!
    My Savior, my alpha, my omega.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jesus is my Savior, and my all and all, and I say this publicly any day of the week, Victor.
    I also love how you recount here Jesus' personal interactions with all those he healed. Yes, He could have just snapped His fingers, but all these examples point to a loving Father who longs for a personal relationship with each one of us. Thanks so much for this Sunday inspiration!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha. I believe God wants a one-to-one relationship with us.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  5. Is Jesus the "Son of God?" or is his message we are all the children of God. Not sure how I would answer your question, I am afraid I am not so sure, I do believe in trying to live as Jesus teaches (i'm sure I fall far short) and God will understand and forgive my lack of conviction.

    Excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JoeH,

      The thing is, Jesus said many times He is the Son of God. His arrival on earth was predicted at least 300 times by prophets and writers in the Old Testament. Some predictions He had no control over, like where He would be born, the manner of His death and burial and so on.

      But despite all that, at the end of the day, it is up to each one of us as to how much we believe in Him.

      God bless you, my friend.

      Delete
  6. Yes. I would not hesitate to say Jesus is my Savior, my Lord, and my God. It is so important for us to continue to witness, even to an audience that might not be accepting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is very important that we continue to witness to the best of our abilities.

      God bless you, Terri.

      Delete
  7. I'd say Jesus is the Son of God, my Savior who died on the cross for my sins arose again and some day I will meet Him face to face in heaven.
    He is number ONE in my life and I'd tell anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "But whoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. Matthew 10:33
    Food for thought before failing to speak up!
    Blessings, My Friend!

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.