Thursday 10 January 2019

Christmas Confession


Today I went for my annual "Christmas" confession. I don't sin that much so I have limited my confessions to once a year; which also explains why my confession is a little late. Held up in the celebrations, one might say.

As I got to church the car park was full and there were cars parked in the street. I did not know there were that many sinners in town.What is it with these Catholics so eager to tell someone else what they have done?
 
Father Frederic, our Parish priest, is away for two weeks and has been replaced by Father Gaston, a priest of French origin, until our regular priest returns.

Father Gaston doesn’t say much, maybe because he hasn’t much to say to us. Who knows! He is tall and thin and looks very severe. He has one of those unfortunate white skinny faces which look like a skull. A long oval shape with sunken eyes and bony features revealing the contours of his jaws as he grins benignly rather than smile. I bet he could turn someone into a pillar of salt by just thinking it.

I don’t mean that he is nasty or evil in any way; he just looks that way and would frighten any cat out of its nine lives. Maybe I should introduce him to mine.

Anyway, as I was saying, I went to confession. Father Gaston was in attendance.

We have one of those wooden confessionals which consists of a compartment in the middle which the priest enters and sits on a bench, and we genuflect on either side, pulling the curtain behind us so no one sees us, and tell him all our wrong-doings. We have to whisper, of course; otherwise everyone in church would hear our sins. If they were to hear mine they would no doubt be in hysterics of laughter!

I knelt down and whispered closely to the opening in the confessional: “Forgive me Father, for I have sinned …”

“I cannot hear you!” said Father Gaston in his strong French accent loud enough to be heard in Paris.

“Ehmmm…” I cleared my throat as I got nearer still to the little window opening in the confessional. At that point my knee slipped off the kneeler on the floor and I crashed forward hitting my face hard against the panel behind which the priest was sitting.

He must have jumped out of his tightly stretched skin dropping his jaw to the floor in the process. I know that the rest of the penitents in church must have been startled out of their meditations too as I heard murmurs echoing behind the confessional curtain.

I straightened myself and soon realized that the knock to my face had started a nose bleed. I took out a handkerchief quickly and said in a loud enough voice to be heard by everyone “We’ll have to continue this conversation at another time …”

I got out of the confessional holding my head back and covering my face with the now red handkerchief.

As I made my way to the exit I heard a lady say to another: “I’m not going to confession today. This new French priest is rather violent with his penance!”

22 comments:

  1. HA! I'm going to be passing this one on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You paid your due! No need for more confession!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I guess you are right, Lulu. The penance exchange rate is higher in French than it would have been if we had our own English priest.

      God bless you. (Ainsi soit-il).

      Delete
  3. So ... you're saying you got your 'penance', but NO absolution? Yikes! Poor you! I'm so glad that I'm now too 'old' & too 'disabled' to even TRY to kneel in a 'confessional'! I now get the 'old-folks Special confession' -- at the front of the Church, sitting (still, uncomfortably) beside the priest -- in full view of EVERYONE waiting in line at the back of the Church. Sometimes, a person will walk by WHILE I'm 'listing' my sins! I consider this to be a a part of my penance already!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an unusual way to do confession, Suzanne. Our church allows sitting down confessions, but these are done in a room; not in the open on a church pew.

    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor you, Victor! Nothing like confession gone wrong to get one's nose out of joint. Hope your next confession goes in the way you'd planned.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise you, Martha, I shall sin no more.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  6. … into a pillar of salt? Wheeeee doggie!
    This episode guarantees I won't be converting to the Roman Catholic church anytime in the foreseeable future. (*smile*)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You definitely had the church buzzing when you walked out holding a handkerchief to your bloody nose. People are probably thinking "OMG what did he do to deserve this, I'm not going in to find out". The rest of the people filed out shaking their heads and headed home. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, Bill. Time was when the penance was saying a prayer or two, not a punch on the nose.

      God bless you, my friend.

      Delete
  8. A bunch of "Hail Mary's" and a punch in the nose! WHat did you do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't even started to tell him my sins, JoeH. You know what those French are like!

      God bless.

      Delete
  9. I think your penance was good enough to last at least another year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. Either that or I'll confess by text or e-mail.

      God bless, Terri.

      Delete
  10. I'd like to see the expressions on the faces of the others when you walked out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were truly shocked at the modern form of penance.

      God bless you, Happyone.

      Delete
  11. Oh, dear. It is good to see humor in every situation. One would think that confessional would be more mental than physical. Hope you have better luck next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nells,

      How nice to see you visiting me here. Thank you. We hope you visit us again soon and often.

      I'll try to sin less and avoid going to confession.

      God bless you.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.