Wednesday 27 September 2023

Art Series - Venus - de Milo

 

MEVELY, a frequent visitor of this Blog, has asked me to research and report back on the famous statue known as Venus de Milo. You can visit Mevely HERE.

Strictly speaking Venus de Milo is a Greek statue. It is disputed as to whether it was sculpted by Praxiteles or Alexandros of Antioch. As there are no surviving Court manuscripts of legal actions between these two individuals relating to Copyright issues we'll never know the creator of this statue. It was rediscovered on the island of Milos, Greece in 1820.

Throughout history archaeologists and learned people have not been able to work out where and how her arms were positioned when the statue was first made. They wondered how the cloth hung there on her body and not fall off revealing her identity ... especially since Velcro had not been invented at the time.

Some scientists, using image projection, have surmised that she was holding on to the cloth and in fact looked like this:

And the statue was first entitled "does my bottom look big in this toga?" But some historians refute this theory pointing out that the toga was a Roman garment and not Greek ... and the statue is of Greek origin.

Undeterred by this controversy I have contacted a friend of mine. He is no historian or archaeologist but he often comes up with a plausible explanation to matters of great concern.

I can now reveal that the arms in the original statue, before it was broken, looked like this:

And it was entitled "TA DAAA" triumphantly showing off how she can keep her garment to defy gravity.

Come on dear readers ... suggest other works of art for me to research and review in this Art Series.

20 comments:

  1. ...much is lost to history, some for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to think these were made without arms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you mean she was HARMLESS?

      God bless, Sandi my friend.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the shout-out, Victor!
    I do love that dress, and might have worn it back in the day. Yep, I've probably asked that question on numerous occasions.
    Thanks for the giggles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanx for suggesting some art work to be critiqued here, Mevely. I'm still wondering how Venus managed to keep that dress on like that.

      Keep smiling, and God bless always.

      Delete
  4. She could never give anyone a hand when they needed help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if Sandi (above) is right. Was the statue made with no arms? Because the stone broke as it was being sculpted perhaps? Or maybe the sculptor did not know how to do arms?

      God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  5. Great suppositions as always, Victor! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandi thought it first. I still think she was saying "TA DAAAA" in triumph at keeping her dress up.

      God bless, Martha.

      Delete
  6. Ok I ain't suggestion, I am still looking at the original arms, wow we are surprised.
    Take care friend, smiles here and hoping you are well. of course the prayers are appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, Jack. Where are the original arms of Venus de Milo?

      God bless always, Jack and Sherry.

      Delete
  7. You made me chuckle, of course. Since I am new to reading your blog, I assume you've already tackled Mona Lisa. I'd like to know your thoughts about her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to see you here again, Barbara. Thank you. I did visit your Blog and left a message there - it disappeared.

      I will write about the Mona Lisa next week. Please visit here soon and more often and invite your friends too. Let's discuss many subjects and make new friends here.

      God bless.

      Delete
  8. LOL....I've not ever given thought to how the cloth stayed up, or what position her arms were in before.......but the answer to does my bum look big in this toga is no....nice figure for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to see you Sandy. So glad you enjoyed today's offering here. I left a message on your Blog and it disappeared. This is happening often on other Blogs too.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the chuckles :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. The arm position your friend suggests would certainly have amused the original viewers of the statue.

    Great art -- what about the Moses statue with "horns" done by Michaelangelo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been a great statue with arms outstretched as my friend said.

      I'll check out the Moses painting, Mimi. I am writing about your other suggestion - Monet; next week. Probably Monday/Tuesday.

      God bless, Mimi.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.