Monday 18 September 2023

Friends

 

I found a few photos of us when we were kids. This is me above. I did not have a beard then. We were a group of friends from school and church.

There was Bald Basilica Ben. We called him that because he had a head like the dome at the Vatican. I remember at school when the nun, Sister Crumply Face ... we called her that because she had a lot of wrinkles on her face ... like a bed in the morning when it has not been made up ...

Anyway ... when Sister Crumply Face finished the Religion class she said, "let us pray like Jesus taught us."

Bald Basilica Ben said, "I did not know Jesus had a tortoise!"

She sent him to the Headmaster for a good talking to. He was called, Mr Limp ... on account that this was his real name and unfortunately he walked with a limp on account of a motorbike accident when he was young. 

Apparently, he searched the Bible and could not find any reference to Jesus having a tortoise. So he told Bald Basilica Ben that Sister Crumply Face was perhaps mistaken when she said "let us pray like Jesus' tortoise!"

Another school friend in the photos was Pest Control Pete. We called him that because once in class he broke wind and the smell was so strong the teacher had to open the window. He said there's a smell here that would obliterate rats for miles around. I had to look up the word obliterate in the dictionary. From that day we called Peter "Pest Control Pete".

The teacher did not know who broke wind in class. We called him Mr Car Doors. He was called Mr Cartwright, but we called him Car Doors on account that he had sticking out ears like a car with its doors open. On a windy day he would revolve round like a ballerina doing a pirouette ... or a revolving hotel door.

Then there was another kid called Fungus Face. We called him that because once we dared him to eat an onion. He took a bite and made a funny face holding back the tears trying to be brave. He kept the onion bits in his mouth for a while and then spat them out on Steve. It was so funny. Steve was covered in onion bits and saliva. So from then we called him Spat-On Steve.

There was also Harry; we called him Grass Eater because he liked boiled cabbage when we had school lunches. In those days, the teacher said grace before we started eating. I doubt it happens now in schools. I used to hate tapioca. We used to call it frogs spawn because it looked like little balls of jelly. We used to like spotted dick though ... do you know what that is?  

Did you have a funny name when you were young? Or now?

I was called Professor, because when I got my glasses the priest said I looked like a Professor.

27 comments:

  1. ...along with a beard, I hope that you grew some ears!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an imagination!
    Children can sure be cruel ... unwittingly, of course. It's been some 65 years, but when I was a child there was a homely teenager in the neighborhood we littles would call, "Monkey Face." Not sure if he was retarded, and/or deformed but those taunts really bother me all these years later.
    I've no idea what spotted dick is, but now you have me craving some of my mother's tapioca pudding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, children can be cruel but they don't know it. It's just raw honesty. They say what they see.

      Spotted Dick is a sweet cake/pudding. Preparation time 15 minutes; cooking about 1.5 hours. Slow cooking. It was a favourite at school.

      Here's a recipe:
      https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/spotted-dick

      God bless you, Mevely. And thank you so much for your support.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like an all-boys school, where everyone had some type of nickname.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, nicknames just grew or happened. They developed as we got to know each other. Lofty Len was very short, and Curly had straight hair. Snozzles could smell in the dark.

      God bless, Kathy.

      Delete
  4. I like your stories. Regine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Regine. Please call more often and tell your readers to call here too.

      God bless.

      Delete
  5. There were several kids that had nicknames when I was coming up, Victor, and not all were very flattering. Glad I didn't have one!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone seemed to have a nickname at school.

      The nuns were known as Gliders because they did not walk. Under their long habits they seemed to glide from one place to another. They visited to teach Religion. Also the priest. He wore a St Francis outfit and cycled with his hands tucked in the sleeves with his arms crossed and not touching the handlebars of the bike.

      God bless you, Martha. And thank you so much for your support of my writings.

      Delete
  6. LOL, thanks for the laughs. I didn't have a nickname but I remember some kids had them and they weren't great. Kids can be mean sometimes and it happens today still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, some nicknames can be mean. Perhaps unintentional, but still cruel. I guess it's the same today on social media.

      God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  7. so funny. I only see one "photo" however. The rest have been left up to my fertile imagination.... LOL. I'm trying to remember some of the funny things we said about our teachers...Our math teacher was Mr. Booger Ears, because it seemed as though he was putting boogers behind his ears and under his glasses that go over the ears. One time some of the boys brought this teacher a box of what was thought to be chocolate covered raisins. He ate them and enjoyed them, and was never told the truth that they were chocolate covered ants. These are true stories. Miss Strange was our typing teacher. That was her real name and she lived up to it. That's all I got right now. LOL. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I just remembered correctly, the math teacher was actually called Booger Bob, because his first name was Bob. Not Booger Ears. Sorry for the confusion. It's only been about 55 or more years...

      Delete
    2. Booger Bob sounds like a creative name you gave your teacher. But chocolate ants ... I have seen them in some posh shops but never tried them.

      It's good to look back at happy times we had at school. Totally different times to today; I would guess.

      God bless you, Pamela. And thank you for visiting me here again.

      Delete
  8. Nicknames can be cruel.
    I didn't have a nickname but kids did chant,
    Karen Green skinny as a bean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skinny is not such a bad nickname, I'd think. We had a kid called John Bean; he was good at sports especially running - 100 yards, a mile, marathon, whatever. We called him Runner Bean.

      God bless, Happyone.

      Delete
  9. I had a long name my daddy gave it to me. jacktum e yanktum, hick stack stanktum, bowlegged knockkneed pigeon toed Jacktum.
    And that is the truth. I had a few cousins who could quote it exactly. LOL
    I had a friend called Red Eye and another FAtty, they were proud of their names..

    Enjoyed the read come on over and see us sometime...
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful nickname you had. Very distinguished.

      Glad to see you here, Jack and Sherry. Going to your Blog now.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  10. Wow you all had a lot of names for people growing up, I don't remember that being the case when we were growing up, I mean there were a couple but that's it. I know now the neighbors we don't know my hubby gives them names, so we know who we are talking about, but then when we do learn their names it is hard to forget what he called them for so long

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess nicknames just happened over time. First one person, then another, and so on.

      God bless, Connie.

      Delete
  11. No nicknames, and that's okay. My brother's nickname with his friends was Chihuahua because he was small but feisty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what a fun blog! 😄 I had a good laugh reading it.

    I was one of the few with a nickname too. They called me 'stork' because I had really long legs as a kid. I didn't like it much, but on the flip side, they didn't use it to tease me; it was more of an observation because I was the best at high jumping on the school playground. I don't recall anyone else having a nickname in my class back then. Although, they did come up with some weird rhymes based on last names or first names.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arieth; how nice to see you visiting here. Thanx. Please call again soon and often; and invite your friends too to join in the conversations we have here.

      How lucky to be the best at high jump. I was useless at all sports. When two "captains" chose teams from the whole group of kids I was always the last one to be chosen. And often the "captains" fought as to who should NOT have me.

      God bless.

      Delete
  13. I was called Twizzle at school ... it was because I had long arms and legs. I didn't mind the nickname and found that it helped with various sports. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Twizzle

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an unusual name. Keep smiling, Twizzle.

      God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.