Thursday 24 September 2020

Am I Sexist?

 

I've been wondering ... Am I sexist, do you think?
 
I said sexist, not sexy. I already know I am sexy. An Adonis no less. Women are always looking at me with wistful eyes and giggling with each other. I heard one of them say I am a sex idol for women who do not care.
 
Why only yesterday a blonde woman stopped me in the street and said, "Hello handsome ... could you direct me to an optician please? I've lost my contact lens!"
 
And last week, whilst in London, another woman stopped me and said, "Hi hunk ... would you like a good time?"
 
Looking at my watch I said, "It's half-past three ..."
 
I probably misunderstood her because she walked away rather disappointed and did not say a word. I wonder what all that was about! But she did call me hunk ... which proves I'm attractive.
 
Anyway ... back to my original question. Do you think I am sexist?
 
There I was on the bus the other day, sitting there minding my own business, I took out of my pocket a glass jar of pickled onions and started eating them quietly. I stabbed the onions with a pencil which I sharpened the point very thin like a pin. Better than carrying a fork. Sometimes I have with me pickled gherkins, or cucumber slices; this time it was pickled onions. Have you tried Piccalilli? I usually need a spoon when I'm eating that on the bus. Can't eat Piccalilli with a pencil. Doesn't taste right!
 
I noticed that some people moved a few seats away from me and said nothing. Others were eyeing me suspiciously. I could feel their gaze digging into me.
 
But it is not me they should have been looking at. It's the man sitting opposite me. He had a long beard coming down to his navel. He had a bag on his lap out of which came two threads of cotton wool, red and blue, and he was there knitting. In plain sight of everyone, he sat there quietly knitting with knitting needles.
 
And no one was looking at him or being bothered by him. They were looking at me eating quietly pickled onions.
 
Then it occurred to me. Maybe there is something wrong with me. Perhaps I was sexist.
 
Maybe I had judged the man sitting opposite because he was knitting. Something which I usually associate with women to do. Like smoking a pipe ... I mean ... women don't do it but men sometimes do ... although fewer and fewer men smoke a pipe these days. Perhaps they are taking up knitting instead. 
 
There must be something wrong with my brain because I could not understand this man knitting. He noticed me looking at him. So I offered him a pickled onion at the tip of my pencil. He smiled and shook his head without saying a word.
 
It was an uncomfortable journey until I reached my destination and finished the jar of  pickled onions. Great coincidence.
 
I wonder ... if it had been a woman sitting opposite me eating from a jar of pickled onions, would I have been that bothered?
 
Have you ever eaten pickled onions on a bus? Especially you ladies reading this? Has it ever bothered anyone when you did?

23 comments:

  1. ...perhaps you are a legend in your own mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great line. I like it. Thanx Tom.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. The only thing I like pickled is pickles. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are nice. Do you eat them on the bus like me?

      God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  3. I don't think I'm fond of anything pickled. Well, to be honest, I've not tried any. Never heard of Piccalilli, but after consulting Google, it sounds tasty. My hubby still smokes a pipe and I love walking behind, taking deep breaths. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your husband is a rare person indeed. Cherish him.

      You should try Picalilli, or other pickles, but only on a bus or train.

      God bless, Mevely.

      Delete
  4. I sure do like regular pickles, sweet or sour, but don't think I'd be interested in trying the pickled onions. I think I might be staring at you, too!
    Blessings, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why, but people always stare at me. Even when I have no pickles on me. You should try eating them on the bus, Martha, and see if people stare at you or not.

      God bless.

      Delete
  5. Dearest Victor,
    No, you certainly are not a sexist for eating your pickled onions, your way and on the bus. You are entitled to enjoy eating what YOU want and WHERE you want.
    Thanks for letting me get the taste back of that delicious Piccalilli, have not had any in 37 years I guess, since we immigrated. Most people would have no clue what it is and good it tastes.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't Piccalilli available in America? Is it just a British thing I wonder? Like Branston Pickles?

      Imagine a cheddar cheese sandwich (or French baguette) with mature cheddar cheese and Branston pickles. Or ... du pain ... du vin ... et du Boursin!

      God bless, Mariette.

      Delete
    2. Well it was also very popular in The Netherlands. Sure via Amazon you could order anything but locally, not ever seen and people would not know about it either... Enjoy yours Victor!

      Delete
    3. I've looked at Amazon USA - a jar is about $14.00. Here in the UK in the supermarket it is about £2.00 ($2.55) - when we next buy a jar I shall think of you, Mariette. It's amazing how tastes differ in different countries.

      God bless always.

      Delete
    4. Guess that by now I'm not even 'allowed' to consume it due to my almost stage IV chronic kidney disease. Not easy! May God bless you too and keep writing those interesting stories!

      Delete
    5. Praying for you, Mariette. Right now. Please trust in God.

      God bless you now and always.

      Delete
  6. I much prefer women, does that make me a sexist?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, JoeH. I am sexist too!

      God bless my sexist friend.

      Delete
  7. No have never eaten pickled onions on a bus or anywhere for that matter.
    Once when I was in a knitting club and there was a man who just knitted socks. He was very good at it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah ... thank you Happyone. At least there is another man in the world that does knitting. Good for him. Personally, I find it needs a lot of patience. And dexterity. I can't understand how women can knit and talk without looking at the needles.

      God bless my friend.

      Delete
  8. Men can knit and women can eat pickled onions. What a world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha ... Mimi. But can they do it on a bus?

      God bless you.

      Delete
  9. Did you know that you can toss sliced onions into a jar of pickle juice (once the pickles are gone) and they will develop a pickled flavor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No ... never knew that or thought of it. Great idea, Kathy. Thanx.

      God bless you for this.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.