Thursday 17 February 2022

Does your faith measure up?

 

One day, a synagogue leader named Jarius, pleaded with Jesus to come and heal his daughter. 

So Jesus went with him, and a large crowd followed and pressed around Him. And a woman was there who had suffered from bleeding for twelve years. She had borne much agony under the care of many physicians and had spent all she had, but to no avail. Instead, her condition had only grown worse. When the woman heard about Jesus, she came up through the crowd behind Him and touched His cloak. For she kept saying, "If only I touch His garments, I will be healed." Immediately her bleeding stopped, and she sensed in her body that she was healed of her affliction. At once Jesus was aware that power had gone out from Him. Turning to the crowd, He asked, "Who touched my garments?" His disciples answered, “You can see the crowd pressing in on You, and yet You ask, ‘Who touched Me?’ ” But He kept looking around to see who had done this. Then the woman, knowing what had happened to her, came and fell down before Him trembling in fear, and she told Him the whole truth. “Daughter,” said Jesus, “your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be free of your affliction.” (Mark 5:24 onwards)

Let us consider the actions of this woman for a moment. She had been suffering from an illness that was getting worse for a long time. She had heard about Jesus. No doubt she heard stories about His miracles and His healing many people. 

She thought ... if only ... if only I could get close enough to Him and touch Hid garments, I know I'll be healed. I don't even have to ask Him. He is so powerful, so almighty, that just touching Him will heal me. Just touching Him. Compared to all the money I spent on doctors over the years ... just touching Him.

Can you imagine the level of faith she had? To know for certain that she will be healed by Jesus just by touching Him?

Do you have that much faith when you pray to God for healing, or for some favour? Do I have that much faith?

Are we sure in our prayers that they will be heard and answered by God? How does our faith compare to that of this woman?

Notice that Jesus says, "Daughter, your faith has healed you."

Often we read that when Jesus heals someone He mentions that their faith has healed them. Does He ever say that to us? "Your faith has made your prayers answered."

Notice also that Jesus calls her "Daughter". I don't think there's any other instance where He calls someone "Son" or "Daughter".

In this case, He is reminding her, and us, that we are all children of God.

37 comments:

  1. Are we God's sons and daughters....?
    One of the important truths of the
    Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ is the
    knowledge that we are spirit children
    of our Heavenly Father - sons and daughters
    of God..
    The scriptures teach of our literal relationship
    to Him..
    The Apostle Paul taught the Greeks that "we are
    the offspring of God".

    Must'nt hang about to~day..ladies coming round
    for a coffee morning, cancelled yesterday! :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are God's children and creations.

      God bless, Willie. Enjoy your coffee morning.

      Delete
  2. ...we are all part of the same family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Victor,
    That is a wonderful example from Jesus' time on earth with us. There were strong people even back then!
    You for sure meant not to write: 'touch Hid garments', but His garments...😉
    Excuse me spotting this, I've had to done too much copy reading I guess.
    May this story help many others!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooops sorry ... yes you are right, Mariette. I miss-spelled and did not notice it. Thank you.

      That woman had great faith at the time, A good example for us all.

      God bless you and Pieter.

      Delete
  4. I pray daily to have faith like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good, solid thoughts for today, THANKS. I have prayed for that type faith, so far, I still fall short.
    Sherry & jack still trying..... (She says I am TRYING at times)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all are trying, Jack ... and often failing. Saints are sinners who never gave up trying.

      God bless you and Sherry.

      Delete

  6. Hey dear! Loved your post and allready followed your blog, i want invite you to visit and follow my blog back <3

    www.pimentamaisdoce.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I pray that I have that kind of faith too but I fall short and need to do better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Bill. Often my faith falters. More prayers needed, I guess.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  8. Paraphrasing, As a man/woman thinks in his heart, so is he. This is such a powerful example. Faith over fear. I keep telling myself that but have to admit, more often than not I fail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mevely, we all fail at some point or other. Often when I pray I wonder whether God will respond to what I ask. So far, thankfully, He has always been by my side when in trouble.

      Faith over fear - I like that. Thanx Mevely.

      God bless.

      Delete
  9. Oh, to have this woman's faith! Just knowing we can touch Jesus and be healed gives me both hope and comfort, Victor. I truly feel that is what He has done for me in my bout with pneumonia and my ability to kick the nicotine addiction. He has told me my faith will be enough.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It often takes a lot of determination, a lot of concentration and self-control, to really believe that God will answer our prayers. That's what He asks. That's what is called faith.

      God bless, Martha.

      Delete
  10. The Bible tells us that if we have the faith of a mustard seed we can move mountains. It is easy to depend on oneself rather the Father, but he is always faithful to us. Thank you, Victor. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nells. You are so right in what you say about faith.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  11. That would take so much courage. Faith gets us where we need to go. God tells us why we are there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it takes so much courage to have faith. To step out in blind faith and truly believe.

      God bless, Susan.

      Delete
  12. I like to think that my faith is as strong as that but I know I fall short!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. and as we serve, sometimes we simply know that someone has touched the hem of our garments. may we always turn to Christ to be refilled and renewed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm mostly a healthy person, so haven't ever prayed to God for healing, but occasionally when bad situations turn out better than expected I've said Thank God!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a big thing in my faith life. I know God can but doubt he will, mostly based on experience. But then I tell myself if it depends on me and my faith then it is taking it away from God, and surely he wouldn't be that mean anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have some doubts sometimes, Liz. It is natural. But then let us consider: why do we doubt that God will respond positively to our prayers in His time and in His way? How does He feel about that?

      Imagine someone asked you for a favour and then doubted that you will deliver on your promise; how would you feel?

      Sometimes God does not respond to our prayers because perhaps we are asking for the wrong thing, at the wrong time; or perhaps because He has in mind something better for us. It is not because He is mean and wants to play games with us and withhold our legitimate requests and needs. Would a loving parent do that?

      I hope these thoughts help a little.

      God bless, Liz.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Victor. I do know all the right answers but I just wish he'd do what I want and NOW! (I am joking. Sort of. But then again not really.) My grandson had covid before Christmas and is still unwell and off school. Does God have a reason for not healing him now? I assume so but wish he would.

      Delete
    3. I understand and pray for your situation and for the healing of your grandson, Liz. No, we never know the reason why God does not answer our prayers at the time we ask and the way we ask. It is often frustrating and even heartbreaking; especially when it involves someone else that we pray for.

      All I can offer is that somehow, with all the effort we can muster, we need and should trust Him. We have to believe that He is in control and is aware of the situation. Sometimes our faith, however weak at the time, is a testament that we still believe in God and His omnipotence.

      Trust in God always.

      God bless you and your family.

      Delete
  16. Yes, it's true, Victor, I made the decision a long time ago to believe and that holds firm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good way to start. Deciding to believe.

      God bless, Liz.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.