Wednesday 16 February 2022

Facts I did not know

 

I have gathered together some facts I did not know in case you don't know them either.

Did you not know that in men's shirts the buttons are on the right hand side of the shirt and the button holes are on the left. Whereas on a lady's blouse it's the other way round. The buttons are on the left and the button holes are on the right. Why is that? Does anyone know?

I went to the supermarket the other day. I found tuna in a tin. Also pilchards in a tin. As well as sardines, anchovies and also crab meat; and I believe they have prawns in tins too. But there was no goldfish in a tin. Why is that? Does anyone know?

I asked the shop attendant and he did not know. I asked to see the manager and they asked me to leave the shop or be thrown out.

Years ago I joined an orchestra. I've always fancied myself as a musician playing in an orchestra famous tunes like Nessun Dorma from Turandot, or the Triumphal March from Aida. The maestro type person out front asked me what instrument do I play. I said the paper and comb. You know ... you fold a bit of thin cigarette paper on a comb and hum. They threw me out of the orchestra. They said there has never been a paper and comb musical instrument in any orchestra in the world. Does anyone know why not? 

I was reading about Albert Einstein the other day. I don't know why. He never reads my books anyway. 

Did you know that he said that a dropped object does not fall down in a straight line, but it curves as it falls down? Instead of falling vertically down, the object's line of travel will bend a little as it falls. He called this phenomenon GEODESIC ORBIT. Read all about it by clicking on the words. It's fascinating.

Have you ever been fascinated? I was fascinated once by a nurse. She did it with a needle in my arm.

Anyway, back to Einstein. You will not see the curve of a dropped object here on earth because you're too close and the object drops very fast. A dropped object here on earth drops at a speed of 32 feet per second, per second. This means that speed increases as the object is dropped from a great height. 

However, if you go out in space and a man on earth dropped an object, you will still not be able to see the curvature of the dropped object because you're too far away.

Moving on to another scientist. Charles Darwin for instance. He was as clever as Einstein. That is because he did not spend his time playing computer games but stayed in after school and did his homework and more besides.

He claimed that creatures evolve. There is some truth in this. In Northern England there was a particular species of moth which was white. As industries grew and factories and homes burnt coal; more and more buildings became darker in appearance as the coal dust from the smoke settled on brickworks and generally everywhere.

In time, the moth bred a new offspring which was darker in colour to enable it to camouflage from its prey. So a different species evolved. In essence it was the same moth which changed colour through the generations. When eventually Britain stopped burning coal and new buildings were put up, after various generations the moth changed back to its original lighter colour.

I went to see my lawyer the other day. It was evening. A moth flew in through the window and asked him for help. "I'm always sad and depressed," she said, "I always fear the worst and I'm afraid of the dark!"

"I can't help you," said the lawyer, "I am not a psychiatrist!"

"I know," replied the moth.

"Why did you come in then?" asked the lawyer.

The moth replied, "because the lights were on!"

Why are moths attracted to light? Does anyone know? And what do they do at daytime when the lights are switched off? Do they fly towards the sun? It must take them ages to get there and once they do they get burnt like Icarus. 

Icarus got burnt because he suffered from hubris. 

Hubris describes a personality quality of extreme or excessive pride or dangerous overconfidence, often in combination with (or synonymous with) arrogance.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Never rely on what you think you know.  Proverbs 3:5

30 comments:

  1. The reasons for the button differences go
    back a long, long way..
    Theory is that men's shirts buttoned on
    the right because of weaponry..
    Since most men held their swords in their
    right hands, they needed to be able to swiftly
    open their shirt for dueling purpose..!

    AND..You can get Goldfish in a tin..In China..
    no less..! 铁皮金鱼 (Goldfish in a Tin)..

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkGwVO6KuMI

    Moths..? Well..
    Like a moth to a flame, insects are drawn to
    bright lights because they confuse the animals'
    navigational systems...
    There's some suggestion males mistake the heat
    and scent of candles for females..I'll say 'NO'
    more..! :).

    Breaking news...The Irish are to sent a maned
    rocket ship to the Sun..?
    When asked about the problem it would cause...
    The Irish said.."It's o.k. we'll be going at
    night"..! :O)
    ❤️ 🙏 ❤️ 🙏 ❤️ 🙏 ❤️ 🙏 ❤️ 🙏 ❤️ 🙏 ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Yes! I've just remembered..
      Icarus ignores Daedalus's instructions
      not to fly too close to the sun, causing
      the wax in his wings to melt...
      He tumbles out of the sky, falls into the
      sea, and drowns...Could'nt swim either l
      suppose..? :O).

      Delete
    2. I did not know about the connection between shirts and sword fighting. Interesting.

      God bless, Willie.

      Delete
    3. Why do shirts need to be undone for duelling?

      Delete
  2. ...things that have never hit my radar screen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing that is on my radar screen at present is that I cannot comment on your Blog, Tom. I have tried several times and I seem to have been freezed out. I can link and read your posts OK; but no comment cursor when I click on the comments box.

      God bless.

      Delete
    2. Victor...I've just Googled the problem..
      And there are various reasons this can
      happen..at one point it said...
      The problem was resolved in part by stopping
      the comments page from being "embedded".
      In other formats Google account will recognise
      and comments can be left.
      When it was embedded the account was not
      recognised.

      Delete
    3. Thank you Willie for your help. I am not a techie man; I'll ask my techie about this. I'm not sure whether Tom's Blog is embedded or not; whatever that means. I notice you have commented on Tom's Blog today; so obviously you are not embedded. Perhaps I am; I did not know it. I can comment on other peoples' Blogs but not on Tom's.

      Life is getting difficult. Not as easy as being a moth.

      God bless.

      Delete
    4. I have no trouble commenting on anyone's blog, embedded or not. Your comments are embedded, those who aren't have a separate pop-up box for comments.

      Delete
    5. Thanx River. I am not techie enough to understand this.

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. I am very surprised. You are very intelligent I am sure, BUT GOLD FISH were created in a small bowl and are destined to sty there until I buried them that floated to the top. They were also buried in a jar of water (just in case).
    Thanks for the education. PS I must not have curves I fall strait down. Now Sherry on the other hand has curves, but doesn't fall. Just sayin'
    Love from this side
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Geodesic Orbit is real, Jack. Objects, including goldfish, do fall in a curve-shaped direction. And also, goldfish taste nice on a piece of toast with ketchup.

      God bless you and Sherry.

      Delete
  4. Dearest Victor,
    Interesting facts at time and as for the buttons it might be true that men were at war and had to button up left–handed while holding on to their weapon.
    Also servants might have it easier when doing the buttoning for them.
    Oh, I remember my Dad using the thin paper over a comb for playing music. Fun memories!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know the reason behind the buttons and button-holes, Mariette. Your suggestion makes sense.
      I used to play the paper and comb.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  5. I never knew that buttons fact. I had to look at my buttons and they were on the left. I guess I knew that but never gave it a thought. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we should have shirts with Velcro, Bill. Much easier.

      God bless.

      Delete
  6. Whew! I feel a bit overwhelmed by so many new facts here, Victor. You do have an amazing ability to entertain, my friend.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spend a lot of time researching my posts, Martha. Entertainment as well as education on this Blog. Glad you like it.

      God bless.

      Delete
  7. I knew about the buttons but don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What was invented first, the button or the button hole?

      God bless, Happyone.

      Delete
  8. Now I'm a bit diminished, realizing how much I DON'T know! Smiling at the recollection of days playing a tissue paper/comb instrument. I've always been easily amused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I should have been in an orchestra. That maestro was wrong to throw me out because I played the paper and comb.

      God bless, Mevely.

      Delete
  9. I’ve heard of playing things like wash boards, spoons and whiskey jugs but not paper and combs. I used to put a piece of paper in bicycle spokes which made a fluttering noise. This post was most amusing. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I knew someone who played the wash board. You should try the paper and comb, Nells. Just fold a thin piece of paper on a comb and hum ... you'll like it.

      I'm glad you liked this post. God bless you.

      Delete
  10. Maybe if i try to straighten up if i fall, it will keep me from being able to fall. Worth a try, i guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of that, Mimi. You have a good point.

      God bless.

      Delete
  11. I read somewhere long ago that the button thing is because small boys shirts get buttoned by their mothers until they learn, but that doesn't explain why small girls clothes don't have the same button placement. I personally prefer buttons on the right anyway, since I grew up wearing boys clothes, because they were cheaper and sturdier. I knew about the Geodesic Orbit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew the reason for the buttons positions; or about the Geodesic Orbit. I found out by researching for this post.

      God bless, River.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.