Friday 21 May 2021

GOALS

 

It seems that society is obsessed with setting and achieving goals. You switch on the TV and you hear about setting economic goals for the country, environmental goals for the planet, sporting goals for individuals or teams, and so on.

And it's always been so, it is not a new phenomenon. I remember when I was young I wanted to be married by a certain age, buy a house by a certain time, or get that promotion before my nth birthday. Once my boss said to me about himself, "19XX will be a good year for me!"

"How so?" I asked.

He drew out a chart he had scribbled earlier and said, "by 19YY this director will retire. He will be replaced by either A or B. Leaving at least one vacancy to be filled. Also, we know that C will move to another branch shortly; that's another vacancy. And ... and ... and ... this means that by 19XX there will be at least four opportunities for promotion for me!"

How sad, I thought. This man had plotted his life on paper for the next five years. And was waiting for people to retire, move on, or die, to create space for him to move upwards into the organisation.

Don't misunderstand me, there's nothing wrong with setting and trying to achieve goals. Indeed God asks us to do that. Remember the parable of the talents? Servants who used the money given to them to do better? I believe God wants us to achieve things in life and to aim for a goal; but it should be for the right motive. Helping others.

Every New Year our resolutions are centred on achieving goals; whether it is losing weight, exercising more or whatever else we wish to do.

But then I wonder ... why not have goals that affect others. Every day I will do something that will make someone else smile. I will try harder this week to help someone less fortunate than myself. This year I will aim to be a better kinder gentler person. 

Or ...

This lifetime I will try to live a life to make God proud of me.

26 comments:

  1. ...and everything with moderation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Victor,
    A lot of people's goals are ego-centric... Sadly!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Mariette just nailed it!
    This is the best resolutions list I've ever seen. Yes. Put away the Dream Boards and Bucket Lists and try to make Mr. God proud. (Amen.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mevely317 and I tend to always READ and then THINK...

      Delete
    2. I agree Mevely. Let's put God first in our goals.

      God bless.

      Delete
  4. I make plans and usually think, if God wills. I do remember he said 'Take no thought of tomorrow, you have enough to be concerned about today..' I am sure HE said something like that.
    However I am planning a short hike....... maybe..
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let us always pray "Thy will be done!"

      God bless you Jack & Sherry.

      Delete
  5. WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL. Yes, how great it would be if we really took the first commanment seriously. Love God with all your heart, mind and strength...AND YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF Thinking about others, how we can bring a smile, give a helping hand..."Lord, not about me, but to YOUR NAME be the praise. Love this post Victor. That is and has been my goal..spread a little happiness and God's love. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so pleased to see you here again, Wanda. Thank you so much.

      God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  6. Making God number 1 is the way too go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Making God proud of us . . . Now, that's a goal to which each of us should attain.
    Blessings, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very difficult goal, I should think.

      God bless, Martha.

      Delete
  8. It is good to have goals but putting God first in our lives those goals get put in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never thought about making specific goals relating to other people. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The best goals are Kingdom goals.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The secret to success is to set goals that are easy to reach.

    I like your goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx JoeH. Our goals should be to care for one another, I guess.

      God bless.

      Delete
  12. Some may set their goals too high ...
    I like your thoughts that our goals should be to care for one another ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Jan.

      God bless always.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.