Saturday 29 May 2021

What a waste of time

 

I was talking with someone the other day and he asked if I still write books. I said yes, so far 35 published and I am working on my latest: a murder mystery book. List HERE

He said, "what a waste of time. I should be doing something more productive; like travelling, or gardening or whatever else I like!"

This set me thinking. Why do I bother with writing books and keeping up this Blog? To be honest, I don't know!

When I wrote my first book, "VISIONS" I thought I had a Christian story to tell. It took me ages writing that book and when it was published I said to God, "I wrote the book, You make sure it goes in the right hands!"

Well, God only knows who has really benefited from that book; and the others that followed.

In the parable of the sower, (Luke 8:4-15), we learn that he scattered his seeds everywhere. Some seeds ended on the footpath, and others on rocky ground, and others among thorns and only a few on good ground. The seeds are of course the Word of God. It is meant for everyone.

If the Word of God was meant for just Christians we would dig a long furrow and make sure that the seeds are planted one by one carefully in the furrow and none are wasted. But Jesus does not say that in this parable. He spreads the seeds far and wide and if people do not want to listen that is their problem. Not ours.

I guess it's the same with my books. Some may well be used to prop up a short-legged table. At least they prove useful in that respect.

I gave that man a copy of my book. He said he'll get his wife to read it.

23 comments:

  1. I used to write booklets on my beliefs and experiences in the Lord, and sell them at car boot sales, and local Christian shops. Then it kept coming into my mind. 'Freely you have received, freely give.' So I set up my blogs and shared those thoughts on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done, Brenda for all your good works. We never know who visits our blogs and not comment.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. ...I would be more selective of who I talk to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh. He doesn't sound much like a friend to me!
    Tell you what. You keep writing, and we'll keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Mevely. I appreciate your loyal support.

      God bless.

      Delete
  4. Just keep putting your thoughts out into the universe....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Victor,
    Writing is still to this day, the most powerful way of communication! IF used correctly and not for attacking others, as you see so many do nowadays on social media. A lot of people show absolutely NO RESPECT and probably can't even write in correct grammar. That person telling you what a waste of time obviously is only defending his own disability in regard to writing. It is a special gift.
    A lot of people jabber on but they have ZERO to tell, nothing of value to help or support anyone.
    Sending you hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Mariette. I don't use social media much. As you say, too many people attacking one another.

      God bless.

      Delete
  6. Unfortunately people don't like to read these days which I can't understand. I imagine they like even less to read books that concern God or stories that reflect on God and his work. It's a sad take on today's humans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Bill. People are unwilling to read and learn about God. That's modern society.

      God bless.

      Delete
  7. What a rude thing to say. How can helping people find God, making us laugh, and all the wonderful stories you tell us BE A WASTE OF TIME. I for one THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kindness, Happyone. I'm glad if some of my writings has helped someone somewhere.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  8. I always give thanks to those who write whether it be words or music and those who paint.
    Where would we be without books, music, art ...

    Enjoy your weekend Victor.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jan. Best wishes.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  9. As long as The Lord leads you to keep writing, you just go on and let Him work out the results. It's one of the good things, we are only responsible to do as He asks, He is in charge of what happens after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Mimi. Our will should be to do His will.

      God bless.

      Delete
  10. Writing works several ways methinks, you are blessed and so are others.
    There is a fact we can not ignore, not everyone reads, 'Most are waiting for the movie!' ;-)

    I would be hard pressed to explain why I write and comment on blogs. This is a new kind of 'friendship channel'.
    I enjoy your writing here and also enjoy most of all your verbal blogging (I cannot find the right words at times due to age.)
    Sherry & jack leaving for the mountains of NC in the AM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kindness and friendship, Jack. I am so glad we met on the Internet. Please take care in your travels - we look forwards to your return to blogging.

      God bless you both always.

      Delete
  11. Your books are wonderful, Victor! I'm glad God gave you that talent, and you are using it for His honor and glory.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Martha. You have always been a loyal supporter and encourager. I hope someone has benefited from my writings.

      God bless you and your family.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.