Thursday 10 August 2023

Close encounter of the feline kind

 

I had a most odd encounter yesterday. It was a beautiful, sunny, somewhat warm day. A bit unusual for this time of year seeing it is summer. 

I sat in the park in town reading my newspaper. A few minutes later a young pretty woman aged about 30 or so came and sat on the bench next to me. She had her face painted like a cat. I thought it was unusual and said nothing, continuing to read my newspaper.

She opened a lunch-box and started nibbling at a tuna sandwich. I knew it was tuna because of its aroma. I thought, "Tuna ... cat ... makes sense I suppose," but still said nothing.

A moment or two later she said, "My humanoids hurt me badly!"

I was astounded and puzzled at the same time, in that order, that she would be so personal. I hesitated and then replied coyly, "have you tried Preparation H?"

She continued eating her lunch and said nothing for a moment or two. Then she said, "I have been with them for a while. And now they're gone ... I miss them."

I stopped reading the article about the increasing price of frying pans. I was confused and did not know what to say.

She delicately sipped a drink from her Thermos flask and then, hesitating, she stood up and said, "Walk this way ..."

I thought, "Why should I? I don't have humanoids!" But again I said nothing. 

I pretended not to have heard her and continued reading my newspaper. It was obvious now was not the time for me to discover why frying pans are so expensive.

She looked puzzled and annoyed. She sat down near me again. Hesitated a little and then asked, "Are you known as Fire Balls?"

What a cheek, I thought. It is none of her business what I am called in the privacy of my own home. I mean ... I will not be insulted by a woman painted as a cat. How direct and so personal can she get? I've a good mind to report her to "Feline Weekly".

She noticed my subdued, hidden anger, silent reaction and then apologised saying, "You do look like Fire Balls. The picture I have got is all creased and you do have a lot of wrinkles on your face; a bit like a bed that's been slept in!"

I was fuming yet retained my composure. Now that is really personal. What business is it of her what the state of my bed is in the morning and what I am called when I am in it? 

I would have liked to have answered something intelligent, pointed and articulate but I did not have my dictionary with me at the time.

Before I said anything, she got up and left.

I hate it when people walk away with the last word. Not giving me a chance to respond.

"My face is wrinkly is it?" I thought to myself, "well ... ... your sandwiches still had the crust on!" Whatever that means ... but at least my mind had composed an answer albeit it was too late as I saw her depart.

25 comments:

  1. ...perhaps you need to stop sitting on a park bench and reading a newspaper. Do most people read the paper these days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still like reading the paper. Regine
      www.rsrue.blogspot.com

      Delete
    2. Yes Tom and Regine, I do read newspapers. They are useful for swatting flies. Last time I did this with a Kindle my wife was not too happy.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. Hmmm, was this for real, or a crazy dream? Not sure I know you well enough to ask that kind of question yet. LOL. Whatever it was, it was fun. Enjoy your morning in the park, but keep that newspaper handy in case you need it to swat the flies or whatever lands next to you next time. LOL. Have a blessed day my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pamela. Strange things happen in my life that I do not know any more what is true and what is a dream or fiction. I do remember a cat woman. Was that a program on TV? Just like Batman and Spiderman?

      God bless always.

      Delete
  3. Close encounters of the weird kind, Victor, that's for sure!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she was weird. Painted like a cat. Maybe she was going to a face painting reunion.

      God bless, Martha.

      Delete
  4. A very strange day at the park, it must have been Saturday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The woman sure acted like a cat...first friendly, then aloof, then gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. And I am allergic to cats. And superstitious. I'd never walk under a black cat.

      God bless, Kathy.

      Delete
  6. That was a strange happening!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was like playing cat and mouse.

      God bless, Happyone.

      Delete
  7. Obviously a case of mistaken identity! Methinks one must be careful of those online dating apps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ... yes you're right, Mevely. She was probably meeting someone on a date arranged by a dating agency. I never thought of that. I could have had a blind date with her if I played my cards right.

      God bless.

      Delete
  8. It sounds as if she mistook you for someone else. I hope you got to finish reading your paper in peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Mimi. At the time I thought she was deranged.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  9. This is funny.

    ReplyDelete
  10. AS usual, I miss a few days and you lose it. LOL Itios good to have time to sit and read vs scanning. BEsides my scanner is broken. We are back in FLorida. I drove straight thru the nearly 600 miles but wanted to take time to read tonight.
    Thanks for the prayers. We hope to have answers in the next week and hopefully life will ease up for us.
    Love from this side....
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so good to see you here again, Jack. Thank you. I'll continue to pray for you and your family.

      God bless you all. Trust Him.

      Delete
  11. Junior Jack here, you may have had an encounter with a human being identifying as a cat. If that was the case then she REALLY needs your prayers. I would be curious if she ever shows up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you related to Jack69 above?

      Maybe she was joining a face painting convention, or had just come from a fancy dressed party. I really don't know. I'm still annoyed at what she called me!

      God bless, Junior Jack.

      Delete
    2. yes sir, I will claim him, he is son #1. I have mentioned your blog many times of course, I guess he stopped by. ;-)

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much Jack, for inviting your son here.

      God bless you and your family always.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.