Monday 21 August 2023

Nostalgia


Nostalgia these days isn't what it used to be.

Time was, back in the day, when nostalgia was people getting together and reminiscing about old times perhaps fondly or maybe not. These days, however, nostalgia is sharing the latest text or selfie-photo you've just received on your cell phone. Everything is so instant, even memories.

You take a photo and you got it on your screen in seconds. No need to send the film for development and printing, and waiting in anticipation as to how many photos you took badly or are over or under exposed. Today, the only thing they expose in the photos is their bodies.

How many people I wonder remember those far off days when life was in black and white and sound was in mono?

Back then everything was in black and white, or in sepia color, depending on how old you really were. I recall a story that on a snowy day a man wearing a white coat went out for a walk and was knocked down by a snow plough.

This wouldn't happen today with all the vibrant colours we wear which need a special washing powder to make them even more brilliant and soft to the touch. Back then there was no clothes' softener; and people washed their hair shirts by hand, not in a contraption invented to lose your socks; or turn all your clothes pink if you put a red item in it.

Another thing I've noticed in today's non-nostalgia world is that people seem to have a fondness, addiction in some cases, of telling each other about themselves every few minutes. They go on social media websites and tell each other inane information like the fact they've just woken up, had breakfast, washed their armpits, and all other things which back in the day we kept privately to ourselves. What's all that about? What is the point of telling a whole load of people personal stuff that is of no interest to man or beast?

I'm not a member of any social media site. In order to appear trendy I walk in the streets, or when on the bus or train, and every so often I say something out loud about myself for no apparent reason.

I make short statements of no more than 180 letters, like "My shoes hurt!" "I need a haircut." "My trousers itch in unusual places." 

At first it astounded those around me. But now I have three followers - all wearing white coats.

In olden times, if you needed something you got to the shop and bought it. Now you can buy almost anything online. Which is a convenient and a good thing I suppose. But here's the catch. Having bought something you are then bombarded by e-mails asking you to review what you've just bought.

"We note you've bought a shirt. Tell us about your enjoyable experience. Did it live up to your expectations? Did you like the item you bought? How did you use it?"

I'll tell you how I used it. I put it in a bucket of soapy water and washed the car with it, that's how.

The other day I bought on-line a small radio/alarm clock. Now I keep getting e-mails from the trader inviting me to buy other clock/radios of every size, colour, and uselessness. How many clock/radio should a man need?

I tell you. Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

21 comments:

  1. ...I'm a nostalgic guy, sometimes I have fond memories, but sometimes not. I HATE all the surveys that I get!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surveys can be so annoying when you've bought something on-line.

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  2. Things definitely move faster than they used to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true.
      www.rsrue.blogspot.com

      Delete
    2. It's because cars are much more efficient.

      God bless, Kathy and Regine.

      Delete
  3. You're right about the surveys, they get deleted everytime I get one. If you ignore them, they only send another a week later reminding you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they keep sending me surveys of something I bought ages ago. And would I want another one?

      God bless, Bill.

      Survey: Did you like this post? Would you like another one like it? Would you recommend it to your friends?

      Delete
  4. I'm over here, laughing so hard. Yep, being almost as old as Cleopatra I can identify with the almost-excruciating wait for my photos to be developed and delivered. More often than not they were a disappointment -- making today's technology worthy of an 8th Wonder of the World.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true that today's technology is wonderful and we can see a photo within seconds of taking it. But I guess now people take too many selfies of themselves. I just did to see how I looked a few minutes ago. I'm still handsome I think.

      God bless you, Mevely. Keep smiling.

      Delete
  5. So true, Victor -- times have changed. Some new technology improves our lives, but at the expense of one-on-one conversations and physical labor that keeps us from heart disease and other chronic illness. Worst of all is society's recent tendency to deny Jesus Christ and let evil flourish. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really sad that with all the advancements of technology, medicine and so on people are distancing themselves from God. They see themselves as all-powerful.

      God bless, Laurie.

      Delete
  6. We enjoyed this lvery much, BUT when I read this:
    No need to send the film for development and printing, and waiting in anticipation as to how many photos you took badly or are over or under exposed. ........ My mind went wandering...

    i remember the exact feelings after sending the film off.

    Thanks for the visit, enjoyed reading and thinking. Duck inot an alley and lose those guys in white suits.....
    Sherry & jack trying to smile in the heat.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, in those days taking photos was quite an experience, wasn't it? Now everything is instant. Instant coffee. Instant photos. Instant music. Instant laxative ... perhaps not!

      God bless, Jack and Sherry.

      Delete
  7. Sometimes even before I see what's coming, I'm having to look back to see what I missed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never look back. You'll walk into a lamp post or tree.

      God bless, Mimi.

      Delete
  8. I agree with all you have said here Victor, and could spend a lot of time talking about it (if I had the time). I love talking. My husband always tells people 'If you see any two legged donkeys around town it's because Brenda has talked the hind legs off them.' Regarding social media - I came off Facebook because people were saying they were at a bus stop, or eating a burger..... God bless you Victor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should do like me, Brenda. Just walk the streets and every so often make a short statement loudly, just like you would do on FB or Twitter. You'll soon have many followers like me ... in white coats and butterfly nets. Mine have now started making short statements too. Like "Stop there ... don't run away ... wait for us ..."

      God bless, you. It's great to laugh.

      Delete
    2. I always tell my husband that laughter's good for the soul. You will probably find this hard to believe, but it is absolutely true. For some reason, when I am in any kind of pain, I laugh constantly. No wonder I don't get any sympathy from my husband. God bless.

      Delete
    3. True, often it is an attitude of mind. Pain can be alleviated with humour.

      God bless, Brenda.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.