Monday 1 July 2024

Growing old in England

 


Growing Old in England

Someone asked the other day, ‘What was your favourite fast food when you were growing up?’

‘We didn’t have fast food when I was growing up,’ I informed him. ‘All the food was slow.’

‘C’mon, seriously. Where did you eat?’

‘It was a place called “at home,”‘ I explained. ‘Mum cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn’t like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.’

He laughed at me. I explained that I had to have permission to leave the table.  But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood:

  • Some parents NEVER owned their own house, never wore Levis, never set foot on a golf course, or had a credit card.
  • Pizzas were not delivered to our home … But milk was.
  • All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers.
  • We didn’t have a television in our house until I was 19. It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at midnight, after playing the national anthem.
  • My parents never drove me to school. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds and only had one speed, (slow).
  • I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone was on a party line.
  • Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn’t know weren’t already using the line.
  • Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies.
  • There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity, violence, or anything offensive.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren.  

Growing up isn’t what it used to be, is it?

18 comments:

  1. ...fast food was just starting here when I was a kid, 15 cent hamburgers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember fast food starting in the UK in the 70s.

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  2. A couple of these were before my time (i.e., no party line) but the rest were spot on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My uncle and aunty had a party line with their neighbour's. We had no phone at home.

      God bless, Kathy.

      Delete
  3. I remember sitting at the table by myself because I didn't like whatever I was being fed. My aunts had a party line, pick it up and someone woud be talking. Who are you, Mable from down the street, I remember hearing her say. I hung up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hated spinach, most vegetables actually. I remember too on aunt's party line hearing the neighbour speak on the phone.

      God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  4. We did have private phone lines by the time I was old enough to understand how to use one. I can identify with much of the other facts about "back then" that you shared here. Blessings, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And another thing ... we said Grace before every meal; and evening prayers before going to bed.

      God bless you, Martha.

      Delete
  5. I can sure identify with every one of these! The first fast-food establishment I recall came to Santa Fe, 30-some miles away. It was my 12th birthday and I got to choose wherever I wanted to go eat. Unfortunately, when I excitedly said, "McDonalds!!!" my father said, "I'm not taking you to a greasy spoon." I wonder what he would think of the industry today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You reminded me, Mevely; places like McDonald's used to hold birthday parties. There was a clown there as I remember. Other places did the same like Burger King and KFC. It was easier for parents to invite all the guest children there rather than have them at home.

      I wonder if such birthday parties still go on today?

      God bless always, my friend.

      Delete
  6. Victor, I must be a little younger than you because my family's first TV didn't come until I was about 6 years old, also Black and White. My husband and I chuckled at your description of food put in front of you that you did not like. Yes, that pretty much describes how it was with us, too. And I carried on with that method with my children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is, for some reason most kids don't like vegetables. I remember reading years ago some scientist claiming that vegetables taste different to young palates; and as we grow we get used to them. I now like spinach, and most vegetables except those beans in chilli con carne.

      God bless, Barbara.

      Delete
  7. A different world now from the one I grew up in. I'm thankful I grew up when I did!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A different world indeed. Are we happier?

      God bless, Happyone.

      Delete
  8. thecontemplativecat here. I identify with many of your experiences. we lived in a farming community. Fast food? We had party lines as well, which wasn't always polite. Once, Mom was waiting to hear if a neighbor's daughter had her baby. The phone rang and Mom listened to the message. AND then she cut into the line and asked questions. Mom had no shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've moved quite a bit from party lines to now where everyone has a cell-phone.

      Susan, I notice you still sign yourself as contemplative cat. Before you comment, try this:

      Do you see a shield at the top of the page next to the URL? (The address to this website?) Click on this shield, and when you get the option click on Enhanced Tracking Protection. See if this shows up your Blog address in the comments you make.

      God bless.

      Delete
  9. We had fast food, but it was a treat, not what you ate every day. There was no children's menu at the restaurant, you ordered real food or shared what your parents got.

    No party lines in my day, but long distance was expensive you waited until weekends to call the grandparents.

    We took the bus to school.

    We had TV, but it did go off at night and come back on in the morning and many of the shows were still in black and white.

    It certainly was a different world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The world is moving so fast these days, and I am not sure it is for the better.

      God bless you, Mimi.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.