Thursday 2 May 2019

The Deal


There are times that whatever Father Ignatius says or advises is sure to be misinterpreted or misunderstood. Yet, his duty as a priest and guide to his flock is to teach them, as best he can, about God our Creator and His unrelenting love for us.

One day he entered the church from the Sacristy and saw an elderly lady kneeling in the middle aisle right at the back of the church. He said nothing and proceeded to the Altar where he took away the candlesticks back to the Sacristy for Mrs Davenport to clean.

A few moments later he re-entered the church to find the same old lady still on her knees but a few paces further forward towards the Altar. He approached her gently. He hadn’t seen her before in church.

“Welcome to our church” he said in his soothing kind voice, “you’re new here … I haven’t seen you visiting us before …”

“I can’t get up Father …” she said looking up at him from her kneeling position.

“Are you in pain?” he asked, “Do you wish me to help you up?

“Oh no Father … I’m able to get up … but I can’t … I don’t want to upset God.”

“I’m sure God will not be upset if you have a rest for a while …” said Father Ignatius comforting her, “here … sit down for a while … and tell me all about it.”

He held out his hand and the elderly lady got up with some difficulty and sat down on the nearest pew. He sat down beside her and asked, “Why did you think God would be upset?”

“Well Father …” she hesitated, “my son is fifty years old, and he’s just lost his job … he has a wife and three children to look after … he won’t find another job at his age … not in the current situation. So I said to God that I’d pray the whole Rosary on my knees … walking one step at a time … from the back of the church to His altar. Then I’d do the Stations of the Cross on my knees … so that He would help my son get a job.”

Father Ignatius was touched by the love of this elderly mother for her son. He smiled gently and said “It’s good of you to pray for your son … it shows how much you love him and his family …

“But God does not want you to walk all around the church on your knees.”

“I’d do anything Father …” she said, “tell me what to do … and I’ll do it no matter how much it hurts me …”

“God does not want you to be hurt …” replied the priest gently, “God loves us and He listens to our prayers as long as they’re honest and come from the heart …

“He does not want us to beg like dogs … He does not want to humiliate us and make us lose our dignity …"

He stopped for a while and then continued.

“Humiliation and loss of dignity is the work of humans. See how we humiliated Jesus when we stripped Him of His clothes, we spat on Him, beat Him and mocked Him; and eventually killed Him most cruelly by nailing Him to the Cross.

“The Stations of the Cross are a reminder of how we humiliated Him and took His dignity away. And we still do so today when we hurt and hate one another instead of loving each other as He commanded.

“God does not want you to walk around in pain on your knees … He listens to your prayers no matter how or where they are said. Even sitting at home just say to Him in your own words how you care for your son and his family … ask God to help them. I’m sure He’ll listen and … in His own way and time … He will respond.”

“But I promised to do the Stations of the Cross on my knees …” she protested.

“Hey … trust me …I’m a priest …” Father Ignatius said with a smile, “I’ll pray to God for you and your family … Believe me, you don’t need to go down walking on your knees. Just sit here for a while and say a little prayer.”

“I’ll do that Father …” she said as the priest got up to go back to the Sacristy, “although I might stay on my knees for fifteen minutes to show God I’m willing …”

18 comments:

  1. God listens to our prayers and answers them in his own time and way. Sometimes we just have to be more patient.
    Another wonderful post.

    God's Blessings ✝

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Jan. Often we have to be more patient.

      Thank you and God bless you.

      Delete
  2. Very well said and oh so true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Her faith in Christ and her love for her son is abundant. God sees all. Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she loved her family she was willing to do anything. God rewards such love.

      God bless, Terri.

      Delete
  4. Another beautiful Fr. Ignatius story!!! You made my day, Victor. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kindness, Martha. God bless you always.

      Delete
  5. Sometimes people will be willing to do anything for God's help. He knows that but sometimes we think if we do extra, he'll get the message that it's urgent for us. He knows this and answers our prayers when it's time.

    Thanks, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Bill. Some people mistakenly believe that you can "buy" God with goodies like special prayers, lighting candles, flowers and so on. We do these things out of respect and love; not as a bribe to God to hear our prayers and needs. As you say, He knows what we need and when we need it.

      God bless you, Bill.

      Delete
  6. Powerful!

    "Humiliation and loss of dignity is the work of humans."

    Sadly true.

    I'm glad you posted this, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for you kind words, Sandi. Much appreciated.

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  7. I think God answers our prayers when it's the right time, often people want it to be immediate and sometimes this is not the case. Love and patience ...
    I enjoyed your post and liked the image you've used for it too.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan. I agree with you about our answered prayers. I try to post Christian articles here in the hope that new readers, who according to the stats come here for the humourous posts, might get to know about Our Lord.

      God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  8. What beautiful hearts … both the elderly mother and Father Ignatius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mevely. I hope you enjoyed this story.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful, Victor. Father Ignatius stories are my favorites :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chris. Why not download some more Fr Ignatius stories FREE from www.holyvisions.co.uk

      God bless you.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.