Friday 15 November 2019

Animals in Heaven


You know what it's like. People start a conversation at work, or at a party. At first you listen and say nothing, and then you get drawn in even if you don't want to, someone says, "what do you think about this?" and you mumble and offer an opinion, and before you know it you are in the debate you did not want to partake in in the first place.

A few friends were discussing religion and the conversation turned to Heaven. What it is like. Who will and who will not be there. What if someone we don't like is there. And so on.

Then someone asked whether animals go to Heaven.

Some thought this unlikely since animals have no souls; others believed they’ll meet their pets in Heaven. Their pet cat or dog will be there waiting for them.

This set me thinking.

Which animals in particular would go to Heaven? The good ones? Whilst the bad ones are destined for hell.

Are there bad animals? Do they think, plot and plan like humans, or are they slaves to their own instincts? Can they possibly sin? When a dog is bad and bites people is it because he is inherently evil, or is it a defence mechanism? Just instinct?

Would all animals go to Heaven? Including the cows, pigs, sheep and chickens we kill to eat?

I would hate to come face to face with my Sunday roast admonishing me for what I have done.

What about the mosquito I killed in the garden this morning? Will it haunt me for eternity? Buzzing around me and biting my bottom. For I heard somewhere that they wear gowns open at the back in Heaven, just like the ones you get in hospital. This is to allow your angel wings to grow on your shoulders apparently.

And all those fishes caught by Peter and the disciples when asked to cast their nets in the lake by Jesus. Will they be there too?

The point I’m trying to make here is that religion relies on Faith. When Christians engage in debate such as this not only do they risk confusing themselves, but they also risk confusing those who are new in their walk with the Lord.

I really don’t know whether my beloved Max will greet me in Heaven wagging his tail. In the meantime, I try to steer clear from such hypothetical discussions.

18 comments:

  1. I would like to believe that we meet our pets at "Rainbow Bridge," but probably not. Bible scholars cannot even agree as to whether verses relating to animals should be taken literally. If we want to know, we will have to go to heaven to find out for ourselves:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very wise comment, Chris. Scholars and learned people don't agree on so many things. We'll find out for ourselves in due course.

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Victor! Personally, I've no reason to believe animals don't have souls. And just in case (*smile*), having watched the sacrament performed hundred of times ...I once baptized my little dog, "... in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure animals being creatures of God are loved by Him as we all are.

      God bless you, Mevely.

      Delete
  3. Don't think the animals we have known and that have been are earth will be in heaven but I do believe there will be animals in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm confused - easily done. The animals we have known on earth will NOT be in Heaven; but there will be OTHER animals there?

      God bless, Happyone.

      Delete
  4. It is God's choice who gets an invitation to enter heaven, so it really doesn't matter if you are disappointed in who is there with you :)
    I do believe that animals will be in heaven but NOT insects!
    When I look into our pets eyes, I see love...a soul.
    When I look into a fly or mosquitoes'eyes I see a fly swatter :)

    God's Blessings Always Victor~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your first bit that only God decides who is to enter Heaven.

      I am amused at your distinction between pets and insects. So I'm glad the mosquito will not bite my bottom.

      God bless you, Jan.

      Delete
  5. Heaven will be what it is, no matter how we envision it here on earth. I agree, Victor, that these type of discussions are distracting to the ultimate message.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a brilliant answer, Martha. Thank you most sincerely.

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  6. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Confusing, indeed! I', so glad God is in control! Have a grand weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes He is in control.

      Happy weekend Cathy. God bless.

      Delete
  8. I can't even understand gravity; Understanding Heaven is way out of my pay scale. I would like to be greeted by a few dogs I have known.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gravity is when gravy falls to the ground.

      I agree about the dogs one has had as pets.

      God bless you, JoeH.

      Delete
  9. All love goes back to the One Who is Love. That's what i say and i am sticking to it!

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.