Wednesday 13 November 2019

The Neighbours from Up North

We have new neighbours. They moved in yesterday.

This morning the doorbell rang. I opened the door and there they were. Husband, wife and two children.

"Hello," they said, "we're your new neighbours. I am Alan, my wife is Helen and these are Jack and Jill. We moved in yesterday. We came from up North, near the border with Scotland."

I was slightly taken aback by the direct approach. I don't usually like people I do not know. They say a stranger is a friend you have yet to meet. I say a stranger is a person who should keep away from me!

"Hello," I mumbled, "I saw the moving-in van yesterday!"

"We've come for a cup of tea and biscuits. So we can get to know one another!"

I was further taken aback into my own house. What a cheek, I thought. Complete strangers wanting to get to know me. How do you say "Go away!" politely. I did not know how to respond.

Our dog was barking furiously behind me having been disturbed by the doorbell. At least he was making his true feelings known. That's what I like about dogs. If they don't like you they bite you.

"Oh, you have a dog!" said Helen. "We don't like dogs. We're cat people. We have two cats, a hamster, a goldfish, two rabbits and a macaw. You'll hear the macaw singing every now and then. He never stops actually!"

"Oh really?" I said unenthusiastically. My mind had already made up a list of insults but I chose to keep quiet.

"Aren't you going to invite us in?" asked Alan.

"Well, it's not convenient really ..." I mumbled almost apologetically; wondering why I should be feeling guilty at all. It was them who disturbed me in the first place. Coming all the way from "up North" ringing my doorbell.

And then, I don't know why I said that really, I added, "I am washing the crocodile right now. He gets a bit dirty when lying on the wet grass and mud!"

"I told you people down South are different," said Helen to her husband, "they are not as friendly as up North!"

Alan nodded and said, "Up where we come from people are always calling on their neighbours for a chat and a cup of tea. Or borrowing things from each other, like a cup of sugar, or some eggs, or the lawnmower or such like. Do you have a lawn mower? Is it electric or petrol driven? I prefer electric myself, much neater!"

"Actually I have a goat," I replied, "I let it eat the grass. Much neater than an electric lawnmower because it eats right up to the edge of the fence, which you can't do with a lawn mower."

"Oh ... you don't have to be sarcastic!" said Helen, "is it because we're from up North? Is that why you're being unfriendly?"

At this point the two children started cutting the roses from my prized bush. I kept my cool and said nothing about it.

"No ..." I replied getting a little irritated, "it is not because you're from up North. Let me tell you that I am devoid of all forms of prejudice. I dislike all people equally! And for your information, my wife is from Scotland; that's as far North as you can get without falling into the sea!"

"Well, she made a mistake marrying you then," retorted Helen.

Before I could say anything, albeit my mind was blank, her husband said, "Calm down dear. It's not worth it. He can't help the way he is. You know how some people are when they get to a certain age!"

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked angrily. "I'm younger than you by all accounts!"

"Well ... thank you for the flowers," added Alan soothingly, "we'd better go and put them in some water. They don't look as if they'd last long anyway!"

Once again I was at a loss for words. If I had a dictionary at hand I would have responded more appropriately ... perhaps by hitting him over the head with it.

As they were leaving he asked, "Does that mean we can't borrow the lawn mower?"

22 comments:

  1. I have to say, Victor, your sense of humour is great. However, I am very surprised you didn't bite your new neighbours :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They interrupted my siesta at 11:30am Brenda.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. Oh, the nerve of them! I'm smiling super big, on account of some long-held presumptions: Over here, most in the South keep the hospitality mat out ... while Northerners are viewed with a certain amount of suspicion. I've overheard my son saying, "Yankees visit, but **** Yankees come and stay."
    Chuckling about the crocodile wash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over here Mevely it is the other way round. Northeners are usually very friendly and would say good morning if they saw you in the street. I used to be surprised when visiting the in-laws in Edinburgh to find they left the front door unlocked. Anyone could come in or out. All neighbours knew each other.

      Down South it is different. When I worked in London, you could be on a train or on the platform waiting for ages and no one would talk to you. Everyone hid behind their newspapers, or smart-phone or tablet.

      Years ago, I was surprised to find my priest from back home lying on the ground in London. Miles away from our home town. He had collapsed and, despite wearing priest's clothing, with white collar, people passed by and ignored him. I picked him up, took him by taxi to the railway station, and took him back to his church back home.

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. When we were the "new kids on the block" our neighbors came bearing gifts...food, drink and so on. But this was forty eight years ago when life was so different.
    Your new neighbors deserved the cold shoulder and your dog was doing his best to let them know how rude they were.
    I never know what I will find here but I do know that it will be interesting :)

    God Bless ✝

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life has changed, Jan. For the worse it seems. People don't seem to care for each other so much. They keep themselves to themselves. Loneliness is an epidemic, I think. Especially amongst the elderly.

      God bless you.

      Delete
    2. I agree Victor. I am so happy that most of our neighbors are the same ones that we have shared the neighborhood with for over forty years...they are more like family ☕

      God's Blessings ✝

      Delete
    3. Yes, you are fortunate. Around here some of the neighbours have been here for a few years. It's a more settled community.

      God bless you, Jan.

      Delete
  4. Time for you to bring out the bagpipes, Victor:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea, Chris. I'll start practising just after midnight!

      God bless you, Chris.

      Delete
  5. Lol, Victor, you've done it again! Yes, I agree with Chris about those bagpipes - it's time!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm practising as we speak, Martha.

      God bless you all.

      Delete
  6. I have great neighbors and I am thankful for that. At least the dog was telling the truth by barking, letting them know his displeasure. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dogs don't hide their feelings, do they, Bill?

      God bless.

      Delete
  7. Actually, I don't think I'd like those new neighbors either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen them lately, thankfully.

      God bless you, Kathy.

      Delete
  8. Generally it is up to the current residents to greet the new neighbors. I'm with you, I like almost everyone I've ever met and hate everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are very much alike it seems, JoeH.

      God bless you my friend.

      Delete
  9. They sure don't sound like the ideal neighbors. Perhaps they'll move back up north.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If i had neighbors like that, i might just go get a pet alligator. We do have them around here.

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.