Monday 11 November 2019

The windmills of my mind


Sometimes, when I am alone, I sit there and think. I could also sit over here; but it is usually there. Next to the window. Looking out into our back garden.

Sometimes, I sit there, or here, and think silently. At other times I think loudly. Speaking to myself as it were.

Thoughts cross my mind. Going round and round like a circle in a spiral, like a wheel within a wheel, never ending nor beginning, on an ever-spinning reel. Like the circles that you find, in the windmills of your mind.

I do hate plagiarism.

It is so cheap and so bad. I wish people would stop doing it.

Would it not be wonderful if everyone was original and there was no plagiarism? You, may say I'm a dreamer. But I'm not the only one. I hope someday you will join us. And the world will be as one.

Free from plagiarism.

I think to myself. And then I say whispering to myself, "I think, therefore I am".

RenĂ© Descartes the philosopher said that. He was making the point that if you are able to think therefore you exist. 

I may use this saying some day in discussion to prove I am educated. That's not plagiarism. It is research. If you repeat something someone considered to be important said, then you are learned. It is not plagiarism. Everyone considers you to be clever for even knowing who Descarte is, never mind quoting him. That's the subtle difference between plagiarism and straight cheating and stealing someone else's clever sayings.

So I repeated to myself, "I think, therefore I am".

"I am"... I said. To no one there. And no one heard at all. Not even the chair.

Then I realised I was speaking to myself.

So I decided to phone Neil Diamond to find out why the chair did not listen to him either. Was he being boring perhaps?

But I could not phone him because I did not have his number.

For a while there, or here, can't remember where, I just sat thinking.

For once in my life I was lost for words.

That's because I did not have my dictionary with me. Not that it would have helped because it is an Italian dictionary and I always think in English.

That's a point, I thought.

Do foreign people think in their own languages? The Italians, French and so on? Or do they think in images, pictures cross their mind rather than words. 

How do I think, I thought. In words or images? 

Or is it in images which my mind simultaneously interprets into words faster than the speed of light?

And is there anything faster than the speed of light? What if light itself was in a fast car? Would it be faster than itself. 

But no one heard me. The chair stood there as dumb as ever.

So I phoned my friend, Ivor Rowbottom. That's not his real name. His original name was Ivor Sorebottom but he changed it by Deed Poll which you can do in the UK.

Anyway, I asked Ivor, "why did the chair not hear me?"

"Because it is an inanimate object, you idiot!" he replied.

"But what about Neil Diamond and his chair?" I asked again to prove my point.

"I don't know," he said, "maybe his chair is deaf. You know how these artists are. They write lyrics that originate round and round like a circle in a spiral, like a wheel within a wheel, never ending nor beginning, in an ever-spinning reel. Like the circles that you find, in the windmills of their mind."

At this point my family came in from shopping and interrupted my train of thoughts.

Why are trains so late these days? The other day at my railway station they said it was because of shortage of staff. Why can't they employ taller ones?

22 comments:

  1. All that thinking, does it give you a headache, or are you just a carrier?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I am thinking so much I don't know what to think any more. No headaches, but ideas for me to write about.

      God bless you, JoeH.

      Delete
  2. Two (out of 3) of my favorite songs! Aw, plagiarism is such an ugly word -- I prefer 'imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.' I pray you're feeling better today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thanx, Mevely. Slowly getting better.

      You did not tell me which song is not your favourite.

      God bless.

      Delete
    2. Ha... caught that, did you? That would be "Imagine." I took exception to the line, "Imagine there's no Heaven, it's easy if you try...."

      Delete
    3. I never liked this song either, Mevely. But, did you know that my friend Father Francis Maple re-wrote the lyrics to this song. I've put it on You Tube:

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq5QqbqSy0M

      I hope you like it now.

      God bless you, Mevely.

      Delete
    4. That was wonderful. Thank you for sharing it, Victor!

      Delete
  3. I never imagined that plagiarism could be so funny and entertaining, Victor. Keep those windmills spinning!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad I made you smile, Martha.

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  4. Over thinking can be overrated, at least you're headache free. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I should not over-think it; I think.

      God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  5. I don't know why trains are so late. Just the other day, I'm sitting in the railway station. Got a ticket for my destination...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always nice to be homeward bound, Chris.

      I asked the ticket attendant, "Can I have a return ticket please?"

      She said, "Where to?"

      I replied, "Back here of course!"

      God bless you, Chris.

      Delete
  6. You wonderful, semi-crazy writer and plagiaristic, but honest borrower of words, because you know that you must not steal especially a man of God but you may quote the bible. I have no idea where I am going with this so I will stop now...I have a headache.

    God Bless ✝

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can all plagiarise every now and then; that's OK. As my uncle used to say, "if you walk a mile or two in someone else's shoes, they'll accuse you of stealing them!"

      He also used to say, "always take everything with a pinch of salt." He made a terrible cup of tea.

      God bless you always, Jan.

      Delete
  7. You certainly have the gift of words!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only if I have a dictionary with me, Happyone. All the books I have written contain words from the dictionary.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  8. The gif (I think that's what they are called) certainly pulls you in going round and round like that …

    Wishing you a good week ahead Victor and hoping you are much better now.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the GIF in the deep recesses of my mind.

      God bless, Jan.

      Delete
  9. Sometimes i just sits and thinks, and sometimes i just sits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think sitting down. Sitting down is my hobby.

      God bless, Mimi.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.