Saturday 7 January 2023

Puzzle in my head

 

I have a puzzle in my head which has turned my world upside down. Maybe you clever people can help me.

The circumference of the Earth at the Equator is 40,000 kilometres. So if you take a piece of string and place it all round the Earth at the Equator it will be 40,000 kilometres long.

Now imagine if, instead of putting the string on the Equator you put it 16 centimetres above the Equator all around the Earth. For example, every few feet you place a stick 16 cms high on the Equator and then place the string on top of it.

It would look like this:

The Earth is the black circle. And the string is the red circle floating 16 cm away above the Equator.

So my question is: How much MORE string do you need? The original length on the Equator was 40,000 kilometres of string. Now you are 16cms away, how much MORE string do you need?

Watch this film and the answer will be revealed:

The answer is that you will only require about ONE METRE of extra string. Just ONE METRE.

Here's how it works. To calculate the circumference of a circle, multiply the diameter of the circle with π (pi). pi (π=3.14).

Imagine a circle 32 cms in diameter, (16 + 16 = 32 cms). 32 multiplied by 3.14 (pi) = 100.48 cms = about 1.5 metres of extra string required.

15 comments:

  1. ...this is out of the question for my sleepy brain this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I felt at first. But it is easy ... really.

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  2. Dearest Victor,
    You're playing tricks with this video...
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you not like the video? I am the one wearing the ring.

      God bless, Mariette.

      Delete
    2. Yes, but it has NOTHING to do with your story...

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Let's look at it another way. The Earth is 40,000 miles in circumference. We added an extra circumference by increasing the diameter by 32 cms (16+16). So 32 multiplied by pi 3.14 = 100.48 cms = just over 1 metre EXTRA or MORE string needed.

      God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  4. Don't ask me to do math, Victor!!!
    By the way, your comment was NOT in my spam folder, so I don't know what to tell you except to try again.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the funny thing, Martha. My comment DID appear on your post. I was the first to comment early this morning UK time. Then, when I visited you again it disappeared and Glynn was the first one.

      I said I liked your poem.

      God bless.

      Delete
  5. Oddly I posted about Pi . Could you go over to check?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that you, Jack? I've been to your Blog - no pies there. Meat pies, vegetable pies, shepherds pies, cottage pies, apple pies, fruit pies. Square ones, round ones ... no pies at all on your Blog.

      God bless.

      Delete
  6. At the thought of deciphering metric, my mind stepped out for a cigarette break and hasn't returned! At least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear ... and I think I need a drink. Guinness anyone?

      God bless you, Mevely.

      Delete
  7. You are smarter than i am to be able to work that out. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mimi. You are very kind as always.

      God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.