Thursday 4 April 2024

The innocence of youth

 

I wonder what advice you would give to your younger self. Think back to your late teens or twenties and the things you did then; what would you like to have done differently? What advice would you give to you the teenager or twenty something?

I would tell my younger self that sometimes some women, or ladies, can be very unreasonable. This happened to me when I was dating a beautiful fellow worker. I was about 22 and she was the same age. We'd been out together once or twice to the cinema and we were in the early stages of getting to know each other.

So I invited her to my place for a meal. I looked forward to it all week; and she said so was she. On the Saturday she turned up looking the most glamourous I'd ever seen her. She was wearing a brand new red dress which she had bought for the occasion and matching red earrings and red shoes. She reminded me of the song Lady in Red by Chris de Burgh. Do you know the song? I'll never forget the way she looked that night. My Lady in Red.

Then she spoiled it all by point blank refusing to cook. There was a football match on TV I wanted to watch and she refused to cook. Don't you think she was being unreasonable? It's not every day my favourite team is on TV.

She got angry and started crying. She said she looked forward to a romantic candle lit dinner and I don't know what else she wanted. I searched for a couple of candles from the cupboard under the kitchen sink, and she cried all the more.

I suggested I phone for pizzas; but that didn't help either. She wanted to leave and asked me to phone her a taxi.

I offered her a packet of potato chips to pacify her and she threw it back at me crushing all the bits inside. 

She would not stop crying whilst the game was on TV until the taxi came. She left slamming the door behind her.

On Monday at work she'd told all her friends and they gave me a hard time as if it was my fault.

If I could I would advise my younger self to get it in writing what my girl-friend expects when invited for a romantic dinner.

Don't you think she was unreasonable?

18 comments:

  1. ...I was married at 21 to my Sweetie and we will celebrate our 56 anniversary in August. We thought that we were quite mature at the time and things have worked out well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations and many many happy returns on your Anniversary, Tom. Best wishes to you both and your family.

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed my humour, Terra.

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. Oh, it's hard to type with tears in my eyes from laughing. I once had a Very Special red dress, but no-one ever suggested I prepare a meal ... lest I throw him overboard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so glad you like my sense of humour, Mevely. I sometimes think of something and it develops into a story. I was listening to the song "Lady in red" and I thought ... what story would fit this song. So, I'm glad you liked it.

      Keep smiling, and laughing. God bless you.

      Delete
  4. Oh, the inherent stupidity of youth! If I had a red dress on, I would not like to have been asked to cook, either, Victor. Still, a very amusing story when one looks back.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But ... but ... my favourite team was playing football on TV. The least she could have done is a bit of cooking.

      God bless always, Martha.

      Delete
  5. Too bad you can't go back and tell Young Victor to set his expectations more solidly and tell the girl it would be a football-watching meal. That would also answered the question about which team she favored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good point, Kathy. Yes, I should have thought of that at the time.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  6. I wouldn't have cooked either, but I wouldn't mind calling out for pizza. :)
    Advice I'd give myself - put God first and then listen to Him. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pizza would have been nice ... especially if she paid for it.

      God bless, Happyone.

      Delete
  7. Yeah, Looking back, I bet my wife would have acted the same in that situation. But one never knows does one?
    advice:
    I remember wanting sons, now I know how stupid that was. I should have demanded GIRLS, I am sure my wife would have agreed and did just that. Do overs do not work in child birth.. just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the things we should have done differently and did not do so. But the main thing is not to have many regrets; just too few to mention.

      God bless, Jack and Sherry.

      Delete
  8. It's odd how if I invite someone to dinner, they expect me to cook dinner. I learned that early and don't invite them, we go to a restaurant instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly right, Mimi. And when I invite them to a restaurant I expect them to pay for my meal.

      God bless.

      Delete
  9. Oh, my! Wee bit of hot water! 😹 Good chuckle, tho.
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked it, Cat. Thank you and God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.