Monday 14 October 2024

Family Tree Surprises

 

Whilst searching my family tree I discovered some branch or other flourished in Greece. One such old ancestor is Quentin Zorba the Greek. He lived around 370 BC and worked as an assistant to a certain doctor called Hippocrates. As the name implies, he was a vet who treated hippopotamuses. Hippocrates that is, not my relative Quentin. He invented the Hippocritical Oath which promised that he'd heal any hippopotamus regardless to the danger to himself. As there were no hippos in Greece his promise was never tested. So he healed hippies instead. 

Another Greek relative I discovered also went by the same name; Quentin Bouzouki. He lived around 470 BC and knew the Greek philosopher Heraclitus. Apparently the philosopher didn't like people in general. He was always sad and melancholy, (face like a melon and body like a collie), and always cried in his beer in the pub despite Quentin's corny jokes. He was known as the "Weeping Philosopher"; especially on that day when Quentin put some lobsters in his bath-tub as a joke.

One day Heraclitus got sick with dropsy and no doctor could cure him. So he decided to cure himself by covering his body with cow manure and sitting in the sun for it to bake. This certainly did the trick. He died within a day. Which goes to prove - when you're up to your neck in **** don't sit in public for all to see.

As a sideline, and also leading to the discovery of another relative named Quentin "the writer"; I have not been able to find his surname. As you know, Homer was a Greek author living around 850 BC and is thought to have written two outstanding books called the Iliad and the Odyssey. Unfortunately, opinion is divided as to whether Homer actually wrote both works; a bit like the debate about whether Shakespeare did actually write all that he wrote. After various attempts to contact the  original publishers to find out the truth it was discovered that they'd gone out of business. However, rumours have it from my research, that Quentin was the writer and Homer the editor of these works. I tried to read them but did not understand a word. It was all Greek to me.

9 comments:

  1. ...my family tree is a mere sapling. My was adopted and that side is a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you have interesting relatives though.

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  2. "A vet who treated hippopotamuses" ... hahahaha! Sometimes I'm glad my own ancestry tree limbs are sparse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Mevely. Hippocrates was the first to realise that the square on the side of a hippopotamus equals the sum of two other squares somewhere else. I can't remember where.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  3. What an interesting family tree you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've discovered quite some characters. God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  4. I'm afraid if I studied my family tree in depth, I might find some bad apples - LOL! Blessings, Victor, and thanks for today's dose of humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder who else I will find in my research. God bless, Martha.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.