Saturday 15 August 2015

God's Timescale

Nothing teaches us patience like waiting.

Remember when you were young and lacked patience? In those days a week was like a year. Especially if you’d been promised something by your parents and you had to wait and wait …

I suspect the same applies to us when we relate to God. We pray for something and wait … but God does not work to our timescales. He has His own plans and maybe what we’re asking for is not good for us … just yet.

Which reminds me of another story which I remember very distinctly from my youth.

The reading in church was from 2 Peter 3:8 where he says: “There is no difference in the Lord’s sight between one day and a thousand years; to Him the two are the same”.

I remember thinking as a child: it must be difficult to have an appointment with God. Imagine God saying to Moses to go to Mount Sinai “tomorrow”; and Moses asking “Is that in 24 hours or in a thousand years time? Because I’d be dead by then!”

I hope God forgave the impertinent mind of a young child.

4 comments:

  1. I'm old and I still lack patience, LOL. There's nothing worse than an impatient old man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too true Manny. My prayer is: "Dear Lord give me patience; and be quick about it!"

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. Ha! I laughed out loud at your example there. The passage you quoted, however, has always stayed with me. I refer to it often when things do not work on my timetable, to remind myself that God's is much different than mine. God Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Michael. The passage from Peter has always confused me.

      It is said that if you pray for someone, say they are having an operation in hospital at 3.00pm; and you forgot and prayed well after 3.00pm; God still hears your prayer and can act on it if it is His wish because to Him past, present and future are one.

      God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.