Friday 8 June 2018

Have you watched a Vox Pop lately?

I don't know if it is the same where you live, but here in the UK, whenever we have the news on TV, or some program about something important, they often go out in the street and ask the opinion of members of the public. I believe the practice is known as Vox Pop - the voice or opinion of the people.

What is the point in that? If I am watching something serious like the state of the economy, or our foreign policy as a country, the opinion of the man in the street is of little value to me. In most cases, the man in the street is ignorant on most matters or striving to be ignorant on most matters.

To give an example. In 2016 the UK held a referendum (a vote) as to whether Britain should leave the European Union. This is a complex subject which has perplexed experts for years. We are still debating it even now.

To ask the man on the Number 10 London bus to vote on the matter is as pointless as asking the man on the Number 11 bus. Both of whom, as well as many others will vote according to their gut feelings, their prejudices or what their favourite celebrity, has said on the matter.

Does this mean we should not have elections and referendums - of course not. Elections and referendums are essential in a democracy. They are our rights fought for by brave previous generations. Once an election (or referendum) takes place we should accept and respect the result; regardless of how we voted. That's democracy.

The point I am making is that when I am watching a news program or something complex on TV I would value the opinion of an expert on the matter not that or a person stopped at random in the street.

Stopping a person in the street is as good as asking my neighbour, or my barber, what he thinks on the matter. It is an opinion and nothing more. It does not have the gravitas or expertise of an expert on the subject in question. What Helen Groggins thinks on a particular topic may be of interest and importance to her, and her family and friends seeing her on TV; but adds no value to the subject unless she happens to be an expert on it.

The other day on such a vox pop interview they asked a man for his opinion on some Government policy to boost the economy and create more jobs. His answer was noteworthy. "Will it cost me anything?" he asked. There's a man of great intelligence.

I was stopped in the street once in London, (it was not on TV), by a market research lady asking me for my opinion on a certain new brand of whisky. It took me several glasses of tasting before I could give her a coherent point of view! Now that sort of vox pop interview I fully approve of.

Have you ever been stopped in the street for your opinion on something.

8 comments:

  1. That was a neat VOX pop for you! I earned $20 at the mall once for participating in some toilet paper market research. They took me to a room and did a presentation with questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All right Christine ... now my mind is doing somersaults trying to understand, (take in), what you've just said.

      Do you mean they took you to a room (toilet) where they gave you different types/softness/strength of toilet papers for you to sample and comment about ????

      Or did you witness a presentation of other people sampling the toilet paper?

      In my VOX POP they took us to a room where they talked about the production of the whisky for 15 minutes or so; then they gave us samples to taste and complete a questionnaire about.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. Nope, never stopped on the street for my opinion, but I have seen many "news" shows that interview folks on the street. Most are as dumb as a post, sad to say, and often, their prejudice is exposed. Yes, give me a panel of experts any day. However, tasting the whiskey might not be bad . . .
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martha,

      That was the only time I got stopped for an opinion. They were trying out a new brand of whisky and wanted the public's view on taste, colour, smoothness and so on.

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. No, I've never been stopped to ask my opinion, but I've seen them.
    Recently I saw people stopped and asked what we celebrate on the 4th of July. I couldn't believe some of the answers. Really Sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too true, Happyone. Sometimes on TV I just can't believe the level of ignorance amongst the general public.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  4. Great op-ed, Victor. I wish every News Director would read this and take note. "WE DON'T CARE!!!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the point I'm trying to make, Mevely. We don't care about the opinions of the man in the street. We need straight news facts and explanations from experts. Not opinions.

      God bless you.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.