Saturday 9 February 2019

Far from the Maddening Crowd

Settle down now and pay attention to our English Literature lesson. You may have all heard of Thomas Hardy the Victorian English novelist and poet; well this has nothing to do with him.

What we will learn today is about a book entitled "Far from the Maddening Crowd", which is different from the book with a similar title by Hardy. It is my version of it. Much shorter and perhaps gets to the point quicker, saving you hours of reading and understanding. And some would say more entertaining.

So here goes ...

Once upon a time there was a rich upper class woman called Bath Sheila, who owned a lot of land in Victorian England. Her neighbour was a sad and lonely very rich fellow called Bill Deadwood, who, to be honest should have been pruned a long time ago. She also employed a faithful shepherd called Gaby Soak and then there was this ex-seaman called Captain Rank Coy. You get the picture already, three men and one beautiful rich woman. I got to the point much quicker than Thomas Hardy. Let's continue ...

Now, the most astute and knowledgeable amongst you would have noticed a similarity between these character names and the ones in Thomas Hardy's book; but there the similarities end. I have used similar names in case any of you may venture to read the original, lengthier and more boring version.

As it happens, these three men fancied Bath Sheila and they wanted to marry her. 

The rich and old Bill Deadwood promised to share his land and cattle with her so their combined assets would ensure they lived in relative wealth comparative to Victorian times and customs.

The ex-seaman Captain Rank Coy said that he longed to go back to sea and once married he would take her with him to voyages far and wide filled with adventure, danger and the prospect of sea-sickness every morning ... noon ... and night.

Whilst the faithful honest shepherd Gaby Soak offered her true love, loyalty, and genuine caring and affection all the days of her life.

Unfortunately the indecisive Bath Sheila could not make up her mind between wealth, seafaring adventure and honest true love; even though the obvious choice between these three men stared her in the face. She should have gone for the rich Bill Deadwood and lived in luxury whilst he toiled and scrimped to provide for her. 

What is it with some women? Why do they take so long to make an obvious right decision?

I tried honesty and true love once! Just like the hapless Gaby Soak, it did not work out for me either.

I asked my first girl friend whether she would marry me. I genuinely loved her more than pizza and apple pie combined. Instead of saying "Yes" and marry me; she asked me why. Being honest I said because I loved her cooking and I liked the way she tidied up the house. She left me shortly afterwards. Fat lot of good honesty did for me.

With my next girl friend I tried the more  traditional, (Victorian), way and told her I was going to have a talk with her father.

I then said to her dad, "I have come to ask you for your daughter's hand!"

He was not the brightest penny in the purse. He asked me, "What do you want her hand for?"

I said, "You misunderstand me, Sir. I meant I would like your daughter to have my name!"

"What nonsense," he replied, "it would be silly calling her Victor. What's wrong with the name she was christened with? Hortence is a good name, I'll have you know. My mother and grand-mother were called Hortence. we come down from a long line of Hortences!"

Obviously I was getting no where with him. So I tried the direct approach and said, "I would like to marry your daughter!"

Not being one to make any decisions in his household he said, "Have you seen her mother?"

I replied, "Yes ... but I still prefer to marry your daughter!"

When I told Hortence that I had her parents' permission to marry, she said I'd better marry them then ... and she too left me after that. So Victorian tradition did not work any better than honesty for me.

Anyway ... back to my version of Far from he Maddening Crowd.

The silly Bath Sheila turned down all three of her suitors and decided to indulge in kissing a number of toads in the hope of finding her Prince Charming. This only led to unhappiness and many visits to the health clinic.

And the moral of the story is, "Why look for a toad when there are plenty of fish in the sea!"

A mixed meaningless metaphor if ever I heard one.

NOTE: If there are any literary books which you have read at school and got you bored out of your mind; and you would prefer my shorter more entertaining version of it, please let me know. I'll do my best to re-write.

12 comments:

  1. The true moral of this story is...if you need a laugh and a smile, let Victor rewrite literary books and English Literature.
    He is an expert at showing us what the authors of these books couldn't or wouldn't put should have put into words that keeps one awake while reading :)

    God's Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind compliment Jan. I hated at school having to learn English Literature, and to memorise passages from Shakespeare and other writers. I could not see the point of reading their books knowing full well that when I grew up they would not read any of mine.

      Having said that, I actually enjoyed reading Chaucer.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. Hilarious, Victor!

    I went to coffee with a nice fellow who had lost his wife a decade ago. When I asked him about his wife, he told me he had wonderful memories of her standing in the kitchen cooking for him. I RAN for the door! TRUE STORY!

    Blessings, My Friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Lulu. A lot of men wrongly assume that their wives would/should be perfect cooks. I don't. I am realistic. I know my wife cooks well. The dog can vouch for it.

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. Victor, you have the literary touch down pat but then you take it to another level by incorporating humour in to it. Your audience expects a laugh every now and then and you provide it. Gotto know your audience and you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is, Bill, when at school I had to learn a lot of literature. Shakespeare, Chaucer, James Joyce, Blake, Milton, Moliere, Balzac, yes ... even French and Italian writers. I often asked myself why? These writers wrote to earn a living and to entertain; not to be studied by hapless pupils like me.

      Yes, I like to please my audience/readers. The greatest compliment they pay me is when they say I made them smile. Thank you fro your kind comments, Bill.

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  4. Better than Cliff Notes, Victor. You many have a new calling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terri. I remember those notes from my school days.

      God bless.

      Delete
  5. You're the second blogger today who's cited (so-called) literary classics. I had to admit, already I've forgotten most. Life's too stinkin' short to waste time on uninteresting fodder, don't you agree?

    PS - I don't know that this qualifies as a 'classic', but I'd enjoy reading your version of Gone With The Wind. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Mevely in that some books are too long to waste time reading them. Did you know for instance that Victor Hugo's Les Miserables took 12 years to write and twice as long for me to read?

      See: https://electricliterature.com/infographic-how-long-did-famous-novels-take-to-write-eed69f38ccf0?mcd=Evergreen&medium=sands_social&post=2112948469

      I have written my version of Gone With The Wind here: https://timeforreflections.blogspot.com/2018/09/gone-with-wind.html

      God bless.

      Delete
  6. War and Peace. Never have managed to read that, though I've tried a couple of times.

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.